244 Division Street South (2013)

No comments yet

Categories: 2010s

244244 Division Street South

When the Oxley Bros. built a house for Detroit doctor Edgar Van Syckle and his wife in 1921, not everyone in Kingsville approved. As printed in the Reporter, “Division Street is one of the most attractive streets one could wish to see, and it seems a pity that small summer residences should be erected thereon, but that is what is taking place. The writer was informed that there were restrictions on Division Street, but a summer cottage is, at present, being erected on one of our most attractive lots.” It may have taken 92 years, but this proper home finally replaced that summer cottage in 2013.

Oxley Bros. will shortly erect a summer home at Union for D. Vansickle of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 5, 1921 p.5

The Future of Kingsville

. . . Division Street is one of the most attractive streets one could wish to see, and it seems a pity that small summer residences should be erected thereon, but that is what is taking place. The writer was informed that there were restrictions on Division Street, but a summer cottage is, at present, being erected on one of our most attractive lots . . .

The Kingsville Reporter, June 9, 1921 p.1



161 Division Street South (2013)

1 comment

Categories: 2010s

161161 Division Street South

The home torn down to make room for this house stood on this property since 1922, but it wasn’t built there. William Pearce, a newly retired farmer, hired N.J. Stephens to move the house over three miles from his farm to this lot on Division Street South. Pearce was born in Newfoundland and moved to Kingsville with his parents when he was just a boy. As an adult, William acquired a farm on the 4th Concession and “followed farming all his life.” After retiring at age 70, William and his third wife Esther moved from the farm to Division Street South. Two months later, while visiting his son Albert on the farm, William died of a heart attack. The house that replaces William and Esther’s was built in 2013.

 Mrs. Wm. Pearce, An Old Resident, Is Laid At Rest

The funeral of Hannah Catherine Blair, wife of Wm. Pearce took place Monday from the family residence Division Road, Rev. J.E.J. Millyard officiating, interment being made in Greenhill Cemetery. Mrs. Pearce has been a resident of Essex County for fifty years. She was born Feb. 26th, 1817, in Boltin, York County where she spent her girlhood days and later came to Cottom (sic) and settled on a bush farm which is now known as the J. Helkie farm. Mrs. Pearse was seventy-two years of age, Methodist in religion and had a kindly home like nature. She had been a long and patient sufferer till she passed peacefully away Saturday Nov. 15th. She leaves to mourn her demise a husband, one daughter, Mrs. E. Taylor, and one son Lewis, at home, Mrs. Jas. Carder, West Lorne, Mrs. J. Bennett, Kingsville, Arthur and Albert, 4th concession.

 The Kingsville Reporter, November 27, 1919 p.1

Mr. Wm. Pearse is moving his residence from Division Road north to town and placing it upon a lot on the east side of Division St. just south of the P.M. track. When it is put in condition he will make it his home. N.J. Stephens is doing the moving bringing the house a distance of over 3 miles.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1922 p.5

Wm. Peace (sic), an old resident of Gosfield South, died suddenly at the home of his son, Albert Pearce, of the 4th concession in that township, April 7th, in the 70th year of his age. Mr. Pearce was born in Newfoundland, but came to this county early in life with his parents. Mr. Pearce was married three times, and his last wife survives him, together with three sons, Arthur, Albert and Lewis, of Gosfield South, and two daughters, Mrs. James Bennett, of Kingsville, and Mrs. Eldy Taylor of 4th Con., Gosfield South. He also leaves one brother, John Pearce and one sister, Elizabeth, both of Gosfield South. The funeal took place Monday last, from the home of his son Albert, to Greenhill Cemetery.

Essex Free Press, April 21, 1922 p.3


19 Division St S (2012)

No comments yet

Categories: 2010s

1919 Division Street South

For 57 years (from 1868 to 1925) the northeast corner of Division and Pearl was owned by the Cooper family. George Cooper was born in London, England in 1832 and emigrated, with his family, to Canada when he was 13 years old. By way of Quebec City and Oswego, New York, George finally settled in Kingsville in 1851 and remained here until his death in 1914. Cooper was a tailor by trade, and conducted his business out of his home on this lot. The Cox Bros. garage replaced the Cooper house in 1929, and Ernie Cox built a two-storey addition for his bicycle shop in the 1930s. Over the years, the one-storey garage was home to a laundromat, Box Office Video, a sports equipment store and youth centre. This two-storey brick building, which features a dance studio, was built on the former site of the garage and was completed in 2012.

Exchange Property

George Hall has exchanged his residence on Maple St for the Clay Cooper property, corner Division and Pearl Sts. This is a fine corner for business purposes. Mr. Hall has not decided yet what he will do with the property, but it will probably mean a business block there some day in the future.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 9, 1925 p.1

Will Build New Garage

Cox Bros. have purchased from Geo. Hall the Cooper property, corner of Pearl and Division Streets, and will erect a large garage upon it which they will occupy when it is completed.

The building will have 66 feet frontage and a depth of 74 feet. The dwelling now on the property will be moved back and faced on Pearl St and used as a dwelling.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 31, 1928 p.1

A Kingsville young man “chartered” a car one night last week without telling the owner of his intention. He had no driver’s license, but did not think that formality worth while. He drove about town and got along nicely until he turned the corner at Cox’s garage at too fast a clip, ran over the kerb, missing a large telephone post by a few inches, ran over Mr. Pickard’s lawn and on until he landed into the side of the house opposite the dairy, occupied by Mr. Kissner. That ended the jaunt. When he appeared before Magistrate Smart be disqualified from driving for one year.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 10, 1930 p.5


Lakeside Crescent Townhomes (2001)

No comments yet

Categories: 2000s

LakesideCresLakeside Crescent & Division Street South

In 1916, the Town of Kingsville granted an eastern portion of Lakeside Park to the Department of the Naval Service of the Dominion of Canada for a fish hatchery. Built on the west side of Division Street South, the hatchery was 87 feet long by 36 feet wide, two-stories high and was used to “raise herring and whitefish fry for the western end of Lake Erie.” Also built in 1916 was a two-storey house for the superintendent, just west of the hatchery. The property was returned to the Town in 1962 when the hatchery was closed and the building was used as a Public Works garage. In 1998, the hatchery building was demolished and the superintendent’s house was sold and moved to Elm Street. The property was developed to include these townhouses on the new “Lakeside Crescent” in 2001.

Fish Hatchery Comes Here

Site for Hatchery and Residence Furnished by Town in Park


Mr. Wm. Gray, M.P., London, has received a communication from Hon. J.D. Hazen, minister of marine and fisheries announcing that Kingsville has been selected for the site for the new Dominion government whitefish hatchery.

Mr. Gray had endeavored to have the hatchery located at Port Stanley, but is informed that Kingsville is considered most convenient to the extensive spawning fields in the Detroit river and its mouth, and eggs have been collected near Kingsville for some years. A site has been furnished by this town and tenders for the new buildings are to be called for within a few days.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 8, 1916 p.1

Capt. Parker, Supt. of the fish hatchery here, has been superannuated, and Samuel Adamson, who was for years connected with the Sandwich hatchery and who has been here since the hatchery was built, has been appointed in his stead. Capt. Parker will retire to Sandwich and Mr. Adamson will remove his family here as soon as the residence at the hatchery is vacated. Mr. Adamson is a thoroughly practical man at the business and we have no doubt that under his management the hatchery will be one of the best in the Dominion.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 4, 1917 p.5

Local sportsmen will have an opportunity to pick up the odd bargain this Saturday at the local fish hatchery when the Dept. of Lands and Forests holds its annual auction sale of confiscated fishing tackle. Sale starts at 1:00 p.m. but articles will be on display today, tomorrow and Saturday morning.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 26, 1962 p.1

The town has been offered the hatchery and a government owned residence adjacent to it because the Department of Lands and Forests has no intention of using the hatchery any longer and under the deed to the province, the property has to be returned to the town of Kingsville when it is no longer being used for fish hatchery purposes.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 24, 1962 p.1

The demolition crew arrived last Thursday and began to make space for 12 new residential townhomes, Developer Mo Kolody will soon begin construction on Division Street South which consists of one 3-unit building, one 4-unit building and one 5-unit building. The demolished building which most recently housed the Kingsville Board of Works has a rich history as the Dominion Government Whitefish Hatchery which began operation in 1916.

The Kingsville Reporter, 22 September 1998 p.1


Charlie Campbell Memorial Museum (1999)

No comments yet

Categories: 1990s

145a145 Division Street South

The Charlie Campbell Memorial Museum “holds collections regarding the United Empire Loyalists and artifacts and information on the People of Essex County and their involvement in the defense of their Country in the Fenian Raids, Boer War, World War 1, World War 2, Korea, Cold War, Peacekeeping, Bosnia, Afghanistan.” Groundbreaking took place on December 22, 1997 and the museum was opened to the public on November 11, 1999. Named after a World War 2 Veteran, Charlie Campbell served as a Mid-Upper Air Gunner in the 419 Moose Squadron, RCAF and was the Royal Canadian Legion’s Mobile Museum’s first curator.

Veteran Leaves Own History Of War

Since the age of 18 when he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, Comrade Charlie Campbell bravely began serving his country. Assigned as a tail gunner in a Lancaster heavy bomber, the local war veteran flew in 19 sorties over Germany and France. Prior to these missions, Mr. Campbell knew in his heart that in taking missions during World War II, he took the risk that he would never return. Having successfully served in Canada, England and France, the local veteran was honourably discharged in 1945 with the rank of warrant officer, second class.

[. . .] A love for collecting inspired Charlie Campbell’s ongoing mission and passion for war history. Comrade Campbell was the driving force in the success of the local branch’s Mobile Museum which travels throughout the Zone, District and Province for various Legion and Militia events. Campbell would accompany the museum’s travels to act as a guide and historian.

[. . .] His mission to forever preserve the stories that war told expanded over the past four years into the creation of the Kingsville Historical Park Inc. The Park, which is located on Legion property, also serves as grounds to preserve local history. Currently, the historical park is home to such community artifacts as the old town lighthouse, and a commercial fishing boat. But it was his search for wartime artifacts from military vehicles to wartime uniforms that inspired Comrade Campbell to pursue his mission in life.

[. . .] Throughout his career, Mr. Campbell garnered numerous awards including the Poppy Certificate in 1982, the Jubilee Medal in ‘85, a Certificate of Merit in ‘86, Legionnaire of Year in ‘89, and was Life Member of the Royal Canadian Legion. Highlighting his most recent award, the Branch presented Charlie with the Meritorious Service Medal. This is the highest award that can be given to a Legion member and it represents years of outstanding service to the Legion as well as the community.

[. . .] The local branch president noted how Comrade Campbell gave so much to others. “Charlie taught us all to remember what ‘Lest We Forget’ really means.”

The Kingsville Reporter, July 9, 1996 p.1

Remembrance Day ceremonies will once again bring the nation’s attention to the brave efforts and sacrifices of our veterans. Looking to breathe life into these personal reflections, The Kingsville Historical Park and Memorial Museum continues to draw closer to its official opening next year. In nearing its dream, the Memorial Museum is already making home to a number of military displays and plans to open its doors for visitors following the official ceremonies at the Kingsville Cenotaph on Thursday.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 9, 1999 p.2

Historic Day Marks Opening Of Important Kingsville Landmark

The culmination of hard work by many people finally paid off Saturday morning at the grand opening of the Kingsville Historical Park and Charlie Campbell Memorial Museum. After a decade of planning, the dream became a reality on the beautiful summer morning of August 12th. [. . .] The museum and historical park has been described as another “jewel” in the town and rightfully so. To everyone who wasn’t in attendance on Saturday, it is the hope you take the time to enjoy the work put forward by the volunteers of the Historical Park, and more importantly, take the time to remember the many who fought.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 15, 2000 pp. 4 & 24

1 2 3 4 5 17 18