Categotry Archives: 1920s


Wm. F. & Genevieve Deane House (1928)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s

252252 Division Street South

In 1922, the Nicholson Transit Co. of Detroit began offering day trips to Kingsville on their steamer, the Frank E. Kirby. The following year, Nicholson purchased the Grovedale Hotel and it was reported that “[t]he harbor is to be dredged out and the boat will tie up at the west pier and passengers can land within two minutes walk of the hotel. It is understood from official sources that the company intends improving the property to the extent of converting it into an attractive summer resort.” William F. Deane, a partner with Capt. Nicholson, hired the Oxley Brothers to build this summer home in 1928.

 Grovedale Hotel Sold

Nicholson Transit Co., the Buyers

The Nicholson Transit Co., proprietors of the Frank E. Kirby, that plied between Kingsville and Detroit last summer, have purchased from Oliver Fox, the Grovedale Hotel property on Park St. The purchase price is $35,000. We understand the Transit Co will overhaul the hotel and turn it into an eating house to accommodate the people who come here on the boat. The probability is that the Company will soon have a couple more boats carrying excursionists to this point. While quite a few bring their baskets with them, there are many who no not, and these will in future have no difficulty in getting meals at the Company’s dining hall. The work of remodelling will be commenced soon. The harbor is to be dredged out and the boat will tie up at the west pier and passengers can land within two minutes walk of the hotel. It is understood from official sources that the company intends improving the property to the extent of converting it into an attractive summer resort.

Jas. P. Black, local realtor, consummated the deal after several weeks’ negotiation.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1923 p.1

Nicholson Company Buys Mettawas

A large gang of carpenters and painters are putting in long hours these days working on the Grovedale hotel, which was purchased by the Nicholson Transit Co., of Detroit.

This company owns the Frank E. Kirby, which will make the first daily trip of the season on Saturday Daily trips will be made from then on until the first of September.

The largest real estate deal this place has witnessed for some time took place Monday, when the Nicholson Transit Company purchased the Hotel Mettawas and park on the lake front here. This property is next the Grovedale Hotel and park and will be open to all summer guests and others.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 21, 1923 p.1


Dear Sir,

We wish to correct a report in the last issue of your paper to the effect that all the Mettawas Park has been sold to the Nicholson Transit Co. As a matter of fact, Mr. Nicholson of this Company has purchased only the Mettawas Inn and Casino and that portion of the park lying in between. All the residential section of the Mettawas park west of the casino has been retained by our Company and the original plan of development into high class residential home sites is being carried out.

We would appreciate this correction being made in your paper.

Your very Truly,

Border Cities Co., Limited.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 28, 1923 p.1


The Dominion Store (1926)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags:

9-119-11 Division Street South

As advertised in 1924: “Over a Million People trade with us each week. Most of them are women – thrifty housewives who “set a good table” but buy where they get the most for their money. They trade at Dominion Stores. Here in these stores, each a part of the greatest retail grocery organization in Canada, they shop – and save. Many are wives of poor men. Others are well-to-do. Yet, one and all, they are guided by a sturdy sense of thrift.” Bon Jasperson had this block built for Kingsville’s branch of the Dominion Store in 1926.

The Dominion Store is now located north of the Reporter Office. It was moved into position on Monday by N.J. Stephens. The new store will be started at once by Mr. Jasperson, and will be in readiness for occupation before cold weather sets in.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 2, 1926 p.5

Dr. Campbell has moved his dental office from the Conklin building corner of Division and Main Sts., to a flat in the new Jasperson building, opposite the post office.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 26, 1927 p.5


The new home of The Essex County Reporter and The Lake Shore News, which has just been completed, is shown above. The ground floor is occupied by a Dominion Stores, Ltd., streamlined self-serve market; the upstairs is more than two-thirds occupied by the Connery Publishing Company’s newspaper and commercial printing activities.

[. . .] The building is of semi-fireproof construction, measuring 38 feet eight inches on Division street north by 78 feet six inches in depth.

The Lake Shore News, August 29, 1940 p.1

Dominion Store Closes Doors After 50 Years

After over 50 years in Kingsville, the Dominion Store will close its doors Saturday, March 1st. It has been located at its present premises since 1940.

J.D. (Ed) Quinn, district manager of Southwestern Ontario for the Dominion Stores, stated that there were various reasons for the closing of the branch. Among them were recent pay hikes to all employees, the store being too small to carry all items carried by city stores and lack of parking facilities.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 20, 1975 p.1

Royal Bank Opens in New Location

The Kingsville branch of the Royal Bank of Canada opened its new premises Monday morning on Division Street North in the newly renovated former Dominion Store premises.

At the opening ribbon cutting ceremonies were Mayor Helmut Fittler, Reeve Dick Thompson, Bank Manager Ralph Mason, Regional Manager Richie Allison and Fred Jasperson, who cut the official ribbon.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 11, 1976 p.1


Dr. C.C. & Elieva Vardon House (1923)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: , ,

198198 Division Street South

When John Henry Clark and his wife Rachel sold their farm and moved to Kingsville in 1913, it wasn’t for retirement. J.H. had lived in (Brighton) Ontario, Michigan and (Reno) Nevada before taking up farming in Gosfield South in the early 1900s. In addition to farming, J.H. also ran a series of stores in Kingsville, Arner and Olinda. But in 1913, Clark’s newest business venture was real estate development, and by the end of the year he had built five houses in Kingsville and purchased two more. So when Rachel’s brother, Dr. Colin Campbell Vardon, and his wife moved from Newberry, Michigan to Detroit and were looking for a summer home, they had J.H. build this cottage on Division Street South for them in 1923.

J.H. Clark has rented the last house he built on Mill St. West to Robt. Green who will occupy it in a few days. Mr. Clark is having the foundations put in for a couple of new houses on Pearl St. [24 and 28 Pearl St. W.] on the back of the hotel Exchange lot, which he purchased last spring, and has purchased the lot just west of Robt. Conklin’s residence and is tearing down the old building on it preparatory to ercting [sic] another house [42 Pearl St. W.]. This one is rented before it is started. This will make five new houses for Mr. Clark this season. The other two that he bought will make him the owner of seven houses when they are all completed.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 24, 1913, p.5

Mr and Mrs Colin Vardon of Newberry, Mich., and Mr. Geo. Vardon of Detroit, were visiting with Mr and Mrs J.H. Clark, Mill street west, over the week-end. The Messrs. Vardon are brother of Mrs. Clark.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 25, 1920 p.5

Dr. Vardon of Detroit has purchased a lot off the north side of the W.M. Webb property, Division St. south and has let the contract to J.H. Clark for the erection of a fine new residence, which will be gotten under way as soon as the weather permits.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 5, 1923 p.5


John Henry Clark died quite suddenly Monday afternoon last at his rooms at Glen Miner’s, Division Street south, in the 80th year of his age.

Deceased was born near Brighton, and grew to manhood there. He followed farming and later kept store. He moved to Michigan for a few years, then went to Reno, Nevada, where he spent some six years, when he returned east to Windsor. After three years in Windsor, Mr. Clark bought the “Letter K” farm in Gosfield South, and followed farming until 1905, when he sold out and bought a farm on the Section Road. Some time after this he bought out the store business of the late Alfred Allworth, Kingsville, in 1908, which he later sold and then bought out the general store of Cooper Greaves, at Arner. Three years later he sold out and bought the Olinda store business. One year later he traded this business to Mr. William Setterington for his farm. In 1913, he sold out and moved to Kingsville, where he has lived ever since.

He had been twice married, his first wife being Elma Clark, of Brighton, by whom he had one son, Herald, of Gosfield South. His second wife was Mrs. Rachel Vardon, of Pickering, who died here eight years ago, leaving one daughter, now Mrs. Roy H. Scratch.

Deceased leaves one brother, Walter H. Clark, of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 5, 1935 p.1


Dr. J.P. & Bessie Lee House (1923)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: ,

3838 Division Street South

Dr. John Percival Lee moved to Kingsville in 1897 and took over the medical practice of Dr. F.A. Wigle. By 1900, J.P. had a thriving business, was married with two sons and had just purchased a beautiful home on Main Street West. Unfortunately, tragedy struck the Lee family in 1921 when younger son, Jack, died of an infected tonsil in January and older brother, Alder, died of pneumonia in September. Shortly after Alder’s death, J.P. and his wife Bessie purchased a lot on Division Street South and began construction on a new home. When this bungalow was completed in the spring of 1923, the Lees sold their Main Street West home to Oliver and Grace Fox.

Dr. F.A. Wigle wished to announce to his many sympathizing friends and patients, that he has leased his home and office outfit to Dr. J. Percival Lee of Toronto, who has recently been practising medicine at Niagara. Dr. Wigle wished to say that he is feeling better and hopes in the future to assist Dr. Lee to carry on his work.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 29, 1897 p.5

Dr. Alder Lee, son of Dr and Mrs J.P. Lee, of Kingsville, died at Chippewa on Sunday morning, from pneumonia after a very brief illness. Deceased was 23 years of age, and was a graduate of Essex High School and Toronto Medical College, graduating from the latter in May. On his graduation he received an appointment on the hospital staff at Chippewa and intended remaining there for a year when he was to join his father in practice at Kingsville. His only brother, John, who was attending Dental College, in Toronto, died last winter. Losing their only two children in such a short space of time, is a severe blow to Dr and Mrs Lee. Alder was buried in Toronto on Tuesday.

Essex Free Press, September 9, 1921 p.5

Dr. I.V. Rumball, Graduate of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, Toronto, will open a Dental office, adjoining the office of Dr. Lee, Division Street, on or about June 23rd.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 29, 1924 p.5

Dr. Snider, who purchased the Medical practice of Dr. Lee some time ago, moved into his new home last week. Dr. Lee has moved to the E.A. Brown residence, west side Queen street south.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 9, 1929 p.5

Dr. W.L. Montgomery wishes to announce that he is established in the office formerly occupied by Dr. Rumball, adjoining Dr. Snider, Division street south, and is ready to carry on Dentistry in all its branches.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 19, 1930 p.5


R.B. Samuel House (1921)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: ,

125125 Division Street South

Molsons Bank was incorporated in Montreal in 1855 by William and John Molson Jr., sons of John Molson, founder of the Molson Brewing Company. A branch of Molsons Bank was opened in Kingsville in 1899 when it absorbed Fraser Westcott’s private bank. In 1901, the bank moved to the newly constructed Conklin building on the the south-east corner of Division and Main and purchased Bon Jasperson’s bank in 1907. R.B. Samuel moved from Alvinston, Ontario to Kingsville in 1916 to become the new manager of Molsons Bank, and he built this home on Division Street South in 1921. When Bank of Montreal and Molsons Bank merged in 1925, Samuel became the manager of the Kingsville branch of the Bank of Montreal and held that position until his retirement in 1934.

Mr. H.P. Dunbar Evans who has been manager of the Molsons Bank here during the past eight years has received notice that he is to be transferred to Ridgetown. He expects to leave here about Sept 1st. Mr. R. B. Samuel of the Molsons Bank, Alvinston will be the new manager here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 10, 1916 p.5

Alvinston Man Gets Several New Goats

R.B. Samuel, manager of the Molsons Bank, and a great fancier of goats, Friday received four more new animals. These goats are a small type, being raised down in Virginia. They are a brownish color. These new beasts now make up the flock of seven which are to be seen in the pasture. The older lot are a Swiss breed. Mr. Samuel’s fold is the only one of its kind in this district.

Mr. Samuels is to be the new manager of the Molsons Bank here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1916 p.1

The pretty bungalow which Mr. Samuel had built for himself during the past season, was one of his own designing, and is said to be about perfect for convenience and comfort.

The Kingsville Reporter, 20 Oct 1921, p.5


The last of Canada’s “family” banks is to disappear in the taking over the Molsons Bank by the Bank of Montreal. Announced in an official statement at Montreal today. The Molsons Bank, founded in Montreal over 70 years ago, has been in the hands of the commercial and financial family group of that name since then.

The merger is subject to the satisfaction of shareholders of both institutions.

If the merger goes through it is not known yet how it will affect the local branch here.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 30, 1924 p.5


On January 1st of this year, Mr. R.B. Samuel, who has been manager of the Bank of Montreal (formerly Molsons Bank) for the past 17 years, was retired on pension.

No more capable bank official could be found than Mr. Samuel, and it is with feelings of regret that the business men of the town, as well as the farming community, see him retire from the bank. He had been in the banking business for more than 40 years, and was held in the highest esteem by the head office as an extremely careful manager. He was always kind and condierate witht he bank’s patrons, as well as with the local staff, and at the same time, firm in his decisions where there might be any doubt in a banking transaction.

He and his wife and daughter, Miss Mary, will continue to reside here in their pretty home on Division Street south.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1934 p.4

1 2