Plan of the Town of Kingsville
as Surveyed and laid off by John A. Wilkinson, Deputy Surveyor
Sandwich 29th Jan’y 1850
To prepare for application for Kingsville to receive a post office, an official plan for the ‘town’ had to be surveyed. Division Line was the boundary between Andrew Stewart’s lot and Richard Herrington’s. Together with Col. James King, Stewart and Herrington laid out building lots from Mill Street north to Water Street and Prince Albert Street east to Spruce Street.
Except for the northeast corner of Pearl Street and Division Street South, all the building lots on Division Street South faced Main Street, Pearl Street and Mill Street.
The lots were measured using ‘chain’ and ‘link’ units. One ‘chain’ equals 66 feet and one ‘link’ is .66 feet. Main and Division streets are a full one chain in width while the side streets are .75 chain (or 75 links or 49.5 feet). Most of the building lots were 1.25 by 2 chains (82.5 by 132 feet).
According to the plan, the lots were marked with “stone & c” which stands for “stone and crockery.” As described in 1891’s A Manual of Land Surveying by F. Hodgman and C.F.R. Bellows:
If a rough stone or boulder is used for a monument, it should either be so large as not to be moved by any ordinary accident or so firmly imbedded in the earth as to defy the plow or the road maker. If of a kind common in the vicinity, it should be very plainly marked and have some foreign material like brick, iron, glass, or crockery imbedded around it, to identify it by.
© 2012, KMHAC. All rights reserved.
On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.