The 1950s are known as the decade of car culture. Leading up to World War II, automobiles were becoming more accessible, however manufacturing for the war effort limited availability during the early 1940s. The economic boom of the years following the war included full employment, innovative manufacturing and increase in residential construction. This prosperity allowed for the emergence of a middle class lifestyle that also included car ownership. This home, built in 1950 for James and Anna Savanyu, was the first house on Division Street South to feature an attached garage
incorporated into the original design.
There was a lively time on Main street on Saturday morning last, and we are not surprised that Salmoni’s staid old delivery horse became razzle-dazzled over the affair, and got hurt as a result. Several members of Gosfield South council, including the clerk, came spinning down the street in an automobile. Many people stood still and looked at the unusual spectacle in amazement and after the machine has passed Salmoni’s store, his old horse which had been standing in front of the store, dreaming over the possibility of having to make three more trips to the lake before dinner, was so completely mystified that he took after the machine and sailed down to Miller’s corner as if he were delivering a hurry order for a bunch of radishes at 12:30. At the corner the auto was so far in advance of him that he became discouraged and made straight for the entrance to Smith’s law office in the Conklin block, missed the mark and came to sudden stop against the brick wall. He was caught and led back to the store thoroughly disgusted with himself. The next time Gosfield council decides to ride in an auto they should give a few hours notice, so the whole town may not run the risk of being turned topsy-turvy.
The Kingsville Reporter, June 1, 1905 p.5
One would fancy from the speed made by some automobilists that the drivers feared his satanic majesty was after them in an aeroplane.
The Kingsville Reporter, May 15, 1913 p.5
There are fifty autos in and around Kingsville.
The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1914 p.5
The new silent policeman recently installed at the intersection of Main and Division Sts., is sticking to his post well, and his directions are being quite closely followed by motorists.
The Kingsville Reporter, June 30, 1921 p.5
Two business men stood on the corner of Main and Division Streets on Sunday and in thirty minutes counted 310 autos all going south.
The Kingsville Reporter, April 30, 1925 p.5
New Stop-And-Go Light
A new stop-and-go light is being installed in the centre of the four corners to take the place of the one taken out some time ago. It is a similar light to those now in use in the city of Windsor, and has three lights on a side or twelve in all. This will obviate the necessity of a director of traffic at the corner at any time, excepting to catch the autos that run against the lights and then there will be “something doing.”
The Kingsville Reporter, September 9, 1926 p.8
JOBS DEPEND ON AUTOMOBILES
Three quarter of the residents of cities and large towns in Canada depend upon automobiles for transportation to and from their jobs, and for their business, it is reported by Federation of Automobile Dealer Associations of Canada.
The Kingsville Reporter, March 13, 1952 p.2
© 2013, KMHAC. All rights reserved.
On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.