78 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In March 1888, Curtis James Green purchased Robert Barber’s half interest in the Green & Barber Mill and Factory to become partner with his father, George Warren. The new company was called Green & Son. Later that year, C.J. married Fannie, Col. King’s oldest granddaughter and moved into a house on Division Street South owned by his father-in-law. In 1892, Fannie’s father James Workman King gave the couple a building lot next to his residence and this home was completed in 1893. In addition to the lumber mill and factory, C.J. was involved in many businesses including the Kingsville Natural Gas Co., Kingsville Canning Company and the Chamberlin Metal Weather Strip Company. Later owners were Fannie and C.J.’s son, James Sidney Green and his wife Irene, who lived in this home from 1923 until 1968.

We were shown through Mr. Curtis Green’s new house, on Tuesday. It is nearly ready for occupation and when completed will be a home any man should feel proud of. T.P. Flanagan is doing the alabastine work, and he shows himself an adept at the business. The halls are done in salmon; one bedroom in pink, one in blue with purple trimmings; the parlor in terra cotta with ceiling lavender, and trimmings dark green; sitting room is much the same; dining room walls permanent blue, ceiling a lighter shade, dark green trimmings. The shades are very pretty, and, with the woodwork of natural oak done in oil, make an excellent combination.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Mr. C.J. Green has improved his residence on Division street by adding a large stone verandah also a sun parlor, which adds very much to its appearance. When completed, it will be occupied by his son, Sidney Green.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.5

Curtis J. Green

The people of this town were shocked when the news of the death of Mr. C.J. Green reached here on Thursday last. Mr. and Mrs. Green had been spending the winter months at Charleston, South Carolina for the benefit of Mrs. Green’s health, which had not been of the best for some time. Mrs. Green had been taken suddenly worse and their son Sidney of this place, and daughter, Mrs. Leo. King, Windsor, had been sent for. Mrs. Green began gradually to improve and Sidney had arranged to start for home Thursday. Mrs. Green was worse on Thursday morning when Mr. Green came over to see her and the shock combined with the worry over his wife’s condition was too much for him and his heart gave way, resulting in his death.

The Masonic fraternity of the city took charge of the body and made arrangements for its shipment north to Kingsville. It arrived here Sunday and the funeral took place under Masonic auspices. The Masonic brethren of Charleston were most kind and did everything possible in aid of the bereaved relatives in their hour of grief.

Deceased was in the 62nd year of his age. He was born near Hamilton and was the eldest son of the late G.W. Green. The family came to Kingsville in 1885 and engaged in the milling business. They also acquired extensive lumbering interests in the Southern States shipping most of the product north. Curtis has resided here practically all the time since 1885. Shortly after coming here he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny King, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W. King. Two children were born to the union, Sidney, now of Kingsville and Muriel (Mrs. Leo. King) of Windsor. Mr. Green was a good business man, of a quiet and rather reserved disposition, but well like and respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Anglican Church, a 32nd Degree Mason and a Scottish Riter. He is survived his widow and two children and his mother, who is now in Felsmere, Florida; also one sister, Mrs. Milford Wigle and Robt., both of Felsmere, Florida; Edgar, Detroit; A.B. (sic) of Walkerville and Albert of this town.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1925 p.1

© 2012, KMHAC. All rights reserved.

On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.