56 Division Street South

The headline in The Kingsville Reporter on April 4th, 1935 was “Epworth United Church Burned.” As reported the following week: “There seems to be no doubt but that the fire started in or near the organ, and with all the electric current shut off, the origin of the outbreak is a still deeper mystery.” Epworth Methodist Church, designed by Chatham architect James L. Wilson, was built in 1893 with Thomas Jenner as the contractor, Woodiwiss Bros. as the brick and stone masons and H.R. Kratz responsible for the iron and tin work. Memorial Hall, which was built in 1922, was saved from the fire. The new church was designed by Windsor architect J.C. Pennington and built on much of the original stone foundation by the Oxley Bros. The “rebuilt Epworth United Church” was dedicated on April 19th, 1936.

Sunday last was a red letter day in the history of Methodism in Kingsville. On that day the fine new Epworth Church was opened for public worship. . . The church will cost $15,000, of this amount nearly $8,000 was provided for before the building was commenced, which with over $7,000 raised at the opening leaves the church free from debt. This grand result is due to the generosity and large heartedness of the members, adherents and friends of the Methodist denomination in this place.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 12, 1894 p.1

THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA

On June 10, 1925, Epworth Methodist Church became a unit in that brotherhood of Christians now known as “The United Church of Canada.” In our present membership of nearly one thousand, are former Presbyterians and Congregationalists. In January, 1935, the congregation unanimously adopted the government of the new church, with the result that Epworth United Church is now completely organized according to the provisions of the basis of Union.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9

CORNERSTONE LAYING

The beautiful and impressive ceremony, the laying of the cornerstone, took place on Saturday afternoon, September 14th. The service was presided over by the pastor, Rev. J. Morley Colling. . . . Following dedication prayers by the pastor, Mr. Robert Healey, secretary of the building committee, gave a description of the contents of the box to be inserted in the stone, after which the cornerstone was officially laid by “Uncle Jack” Miner.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9

Church Dedication

On Sunday afternoon, the dedicatory services were held. A few minutes after three o’clock, the president of the London Conference, Rev. W.A. Walden, B.A., of London, and the ministers assisting him, entered the main door of the church, while the choir and congreation arose and sang the Doxology. . . . So large was the congregation that gathered to praise God after a year’s tireless efforts in rebuilding the church, that Chief of Police J.C. Babcock was called upon to direct traffic at the intersection of Division and Mill Streets, and cars were lined for several blocks on both sides of the two thoroughfares in the four directions.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.1

© 2012 – 2013, KMHAC. All rights reserved.

On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.