Albert (son of Capt. William J. Malott) married Hannah (daughter of John Herrington) in 1887 and they built a home (which no longer stands) on the corner of Division Street South and Erie Street the following year. Following in his father’s footsteps, Albert was a “wharfinger” and later became the lighthouse keeper for Kingsville. In 1900, Albert and Hannah purchased a vacant lot on the corner of Division Street South and Prospect for $125 and built a cottage in a style that was popular at the time. Two years later, the Malotts moved to Mill Street West and Albert pursued a career in carpentry. Later owners include George Henry and Martha Grenville. When Albert Lainchbury purchased the home in 1914, he hired the Oxley Brothers to convert the cottage into a two-storey house, and the “large veranda” was added in 1916.
Our Growing Time
Fifty Thousand Dollars Worth Of Residences Being Built
To give some idea of the building operations in Kingsville, for this year, we have interviewed the various contractors, and the following are the various contracts which they have underway [. . .]
Oxley Bros., Contractors [. . .]
Mr. Lainchbury, Division st. south, making cottage into two story house, $1,000
The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.1
Mr. Lainchbury is making a very great improvement to his home on Division St. south, by adding on the north and west sides a large veranda. One would scarcely credit what an addition it makes in the appearance of the house.
The Kingsville Reporter, September 21, 1916 p.5
On Christmas day, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Lainchbury was the scene of a very pretty wedding, when their youngest daughter, Florence, was united in marriage to Dr. Ardell P. Morris, of Toronto, son of Dr. and Mrs. Morris, of Mt. Elgin.
At high noon, the bride entered the drawing room on the arm of her father to the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march, played by her cousin, Miss Fern Jeffery, who was prettily dressed in green satin. The bride was attired in a beautiful gown of flesh color crepe de chene with pearl trimming, wearing a veil caught by orange blossoms and carrying a bridal boquet [sic] of roses and valley lilies. The Rev. J.E.J. Millyard officiated. The only attendant was Baby Jean, niece of the bride, wearing a pretty little dress of pale blue crepe de chine and carrying the ring in a basket of freesias. After congratualtions, the guests retired to the dining room, where a delicious wedding repast was served by Misses Eula Wigle, attired in white silk, and Madeline Bennett, dressed in pink silk, both wearing a corsage boquet [sic]. Many beautiful and useful presents were received, among them being handsome cheques from the fathers of the bride and groom.
The Kingsville Reporter, December 26, 1918 p.1
INTERESTING OLD DOCUMENTS
Parchment Deeds From the Crown 108 Years Ago
Mr. Albert Malott laid on our table yesterday some ancient documents in the form of title deeds from the Crown, which were in the possession of his father-in-law, the late Mr. John Herrington. While somewhat greyed with age they are in a good state of preservation and the print and signatures to the deeds are distinct and perfectly legible. The deed is of parchment and was made to John Tofflemire on the 21st of February, 1824, a part of which lot is now occupied by the town park; the other was a grant to John Wigle of 200 acres, being lot No. 3 in the Second Concession, West Division, Gosfield South.
The transfer was given under the great seal of the Province of Upper Canada and D. Cameron was registrar at the time. The “great seal” was indeed “great.” It measured 4 1/2 incles across and was 1/4 of an inch thick. It was made of wax – probably a mixture of beeswax and resin – and either side was covered with paper and the seal had been placed in the press containing the dies and stamped. The design on the stamp in the center was a wreath through which were an anchor and a sword crossed; at the bottom of this design are two cornucopias (horns of plenty) and the whole is surmounted by the British crown. Lettering around the outer edge of the seal is not legible. The reverse side is stamped with the British Coat-of-Arms, and also lettered at the outer edge. The seal is fastened to the document with a piece of linen tape pressed in the wax and attached to the parchment in such a way that the seal sould not be detached without cutting the tape, tearing the parchment or destroying the seal.
The Kingsville Reporter, July 21, 1932 p.5
© 2012, KMHAC. All rights reserved.
On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.