In June 1900 Charles Arthur Quick purchased J.H. Smart’s “Mammoth” store, located on the northwest corner of Division and Main, for $4,000. Unfortunately, eight months later it burned to the ground. Quick rebuilt on the site, and opened his grocery and dry goods store in the summer of 1901. Charles retired in 1917 and the business was carried on by his sons Delbert, Drayton and Stanley under the name C.A. Quick and Sons. Delbert had been working in B.C. learning the trade, but came back and married Myrtle Ballah in 1916 and they had this home built in 1920. In addition to running the family store, Del was very active in community organizations, served on Town Council and was on the committee responsible for bringing a high school to Kingsville.
The Smart Block Goes Up in Smoke
Chas. A. Quick who Owned and Occupied the Building is a Heavy Loser
The Kingsville Reporter, February 28, 1901 p.1
The Quick block is beginning to take tangible shape. A gang of men are at work, and by this time next week it will be the scene of considerable activity. The building will be 128 feet long by 32 wide, solid brick, two stories high. There will be four stores in the block, two facing Main st. and two facing Division st. The second story will be used for residential purposes. Mr. Quick is not certain just when the building will be ready for occupation, but it will be finished as fast as workmen can lay material together.
The Kingsville Reporter, April 4, 1901 p.5
Del. Quick has purchased the Loop lot, formerly the Duggan property, on Division street south, and will erect a home on it for himself.
The Kingsville Reporter, September 25, 1919 p.5
ESSEX HIGH SCHOOL BURNS
A Complete Loss – Will Rebuild
Early on Tuesday evening last Essex High School took fire in the furnace room, and in a short time the building was reduced to a mass of ruins. The blaze is thought to have originated from an overheated furnace.
Some 40 students from this town go to Essex every morning.
The Kingsville Reporter, February 17, 1921 p.1
An option has been secured on the Mrs. Harris property, north side of Main street east, for a high school site.
The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1921 p.5
Organized effort towards the erection of a High School in Kingsville, is being made, and the various steps required before plans can be procured and tenders called for are being taken. In addition to passing the by-law electing Kingsville into a High school district, the County Council, last week, appointed H.C. Layman, R.H. Pickard and W.T. Conklin county representatives on the new High School Board, while the town appointed W.A. Smith, Del Quick and C.W. Hendershot.
The Essex Free Press, April 1, 1921 p.7
Longtime Businessman Delbert Quick Passes
Delbert Quick of 110 Division St. South, Kingsville, passed away on Saturday, Nov. 8th at Leamington District Memorial Hospital at the age of 89 years.
Mr. Quick was born in the Kingsville area where he resided all his life. He was retired and former owner of C.A. Quick and Son Department Store in Kingsville for many years. He was a member of Epworth United Church , Kingsville; a former member of the Kingsville High School Board, Kingsville Town Council and Hydro Commission; an honorary member of the Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion and a member of St. George’s Lodge No. 41, A.F. & A.M.
Mr. Quick was a past president of the Kingsville Board of Trade, an organizing member of the old Kingsville Horticultural Society and an ardent hunter.
Surviving are his widow, Margaret (nee Mandley); one son, Lloyd Arthur of Brockville; one daughter, Della (Mrs. Harrold Hayford) of Naperville, Illinois; two step-sons, Fred W. Young of Maples, Ont. and Kenneth E. Young of Richmond Hill; 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
The Kingsville Reporter, November 12, 1975 p.1
© 2013, KMHAC. All rights reserved.
On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.