Tag Archives: Designated

by

Howard R. Kratz House (1886)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , ,

164 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In 1884, local tinsmith Howard Ryerson Kratz (Scratch) purchased two lots on Division Street South, at the corner of Stewart Street, from Lucinda Stewart for $200. Two years later, Howard had this 2-storey brick house built using local masons Newell and Lewis Woodiwiss. The home was completed in time for Howard’s marriage to Mary (Minnie) Woodbridge in the spring of 1887. Unfortunately for the newlyweds, it was announced in 1888 that “the route of the railway through this village has been finally located, the southern survey having been adopted, which will cause the road to run through the centre of Stewart Street. It will be midway between the business part of the village and the harbor.” Despite the train tracks, Howard and Minnie stayed in this home until 1906 and raised five children: Ray, Faith, Hattie, Edith and Etta. In addition to tinsmithing, Howard also owned a hardware store and manufactured bicycles, including the “Mettawas Cycle,” which cost $35.00 in 1897 – $2.00 extra for the “Ladies” model.

Later owners of this home include Gordon P. & Nellie Fox, George T. Hardie and Father Frederick Williams, a retired Catholic priest from Sudbury.

MRS. HOWARD R. KRATZ

It is said that death loves a shining mark, and the axiom was never more self-evident in this neighborhood than in the death of Mary Woodbridge, beloved wife of Howard R. Kratz, on Saturday morning last [. . .]

 Let us if possible, gather up the elements of the life of the departed and weave of them a picture for the walls of memory. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Woodbridge; was born on the home place and when a young girl of ten or eleven, she sought and found the pearl of great price, and made it chief among the jewels of her youthful hopes. The intervening years have been filled with loving deeds and untiring sevice for the master, and today her husband and family rise up and call her blessed, for upon the white canvas of her life she drew no uncertain lines which needed to be erased. Her path was marked with deeds of kindness and cheer. Flowers, not thorns; sunshine, not shadow, did she scatter everywhere, and with these she was lavish. Truth was the inspiration of her life and by kindness she exemplified its great worth. [. . .]

On April 19, 1887, deceased was united in marriage with Howard R. Kratz. To the union were born one son, Ray (deceased), and four daughter, Miss Faith, of Detroit; Hattie, Mrs. David Clark, Kingsville; Edith, Mrs. (Dr.) Mills, Fenelon Falls, Ont., and Etta, Mrs. Byron Eichoitz, Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 8, 1931 p.1

Howard R. Kratz Passes in 91st Year

Funeral services for the late Howard Ryerson Kratz, who died in his 91st year at the home of his daughter, Miss Faith Kratz, on Sunday were held from the Crawford and Son Funeral Home on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. J.T. Flemming officiating. Interment took place in Greenhill Cemetery.

Deceased was born in Gosfield South and had lived all his life in Essex County.

Survivors are four daughters, Miss Faith Kratz and Mrs. David Clarke of Kingsville; Mrs. Maurice Mills of Fenelon Falls and Mrs. Stewart Graham of Detroit; and one brother Stafford Kratz also of Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1949 p.1

by

Alexander J. Wigle House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , ,

111 Division Street South

Designated in 1987 as the Coda-Leach House

In 1883, after being in Kansas for a year, Alexander J. Wigle and his wife Elizabeth moved back to Canada. Before Kansas, A.J. had been a Gosfield South farmer. But when he moved to Kingsville, A.J. opened up a “mercantile business” on the north side of Main Street West. A.J. and Duchess (as Elizabeth was “affectionately known by the family and close friends”) had Thomas Jenner design this “gothic villa” brick house and it was completed in December 1884. When their daughter Grace was married in this home to Herman Woelz of Colorado, the house was called “Park Place.” Major renovations to this house were completed in 1915 and included an “English stairway” and a “French doorway.” A.J. and Duchess lived in this home together for 34 years. After A.J.’s death in 1918, Duchess moved to Colorado to live with family until her death in 1936.

Petty thieves are again at work in the village. Last Saturday night, the 2nd inst., or early on Sunday morning, Alex. Wigle lost 23 quart cans of fruit out of his cellar at his residence on Division street. An entrance was effected through the cellar window. Mr. W. says he does not mind the thief filling up on the fruit, but he thinks there has plenty of time elapsed in which to return the cans.

Amherstburg Echo, June 15, 1888 p.6

Passing of Alexander J. Wigle

After an illness lasting for over a year, during most of which time he was confined to his home, Alexander J. Wigle passed away on Saturday in the 68th year of his age. Deceased was the eldest son of the late Theodore Wigle and was born on the farm now owned by his younger brother, Nelson, on the lake front. On coming to manhood’s estate, he married in 1874 at Dayton, Ohio, Miss Elizabeth Dunn, of Cincinnati.

[. . .]  Mr. Wigle had been a Methodist for about forty-one years. He was one of the building committee on Epworth Methodist Church when that structure was built in 1893. He was also a member of the Kingsville Council for some nine years, and made an efficient member of the board. He leaves to mourn his demise a widow, one son and two daughters, as follows: Ed C., of Eaton, Colo.; Mrs. R.E. Shultz, of Detroit, and Mrs. Herman Woelz, of Longmont, Colo. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. E.W. Sandison, of Hollywood, Cal.; Mrs. Bisbing, of Detroit, and one brother, Nelson C., Gosfield South.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 21, 1918 p.4

Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle

[Longmont (Colo.) Times-Call, Dec. 5, 1936]

Funeral services for Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle, who passed away Wednesday evening in the home of her son, E.C. Wigle, at Windsor (Colo.), were held Saturday afternoon in the home of her daughter, here, Mrs. Herman Woelz.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle passed on as the result of a heart attack with which she was stricken Tuesday morning.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle was born in Lockland, Ohio, October 5, 1854. Since the death of her husband (Alex. J. Wigle, of Kingsville) in 1918, she had made her home with her children. She loved the West and its people, and for the past 15 years had spent most of her time at Windsor and Longmont.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 17, 1936 p.1

by

James W. King House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , , ,

86 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

James Workman King was the oldest child of Col. James King, after whom Kingsville was named. Born in Michigan in 1835, he came to Gosfield with his mother and father as an infant. He attended high school in Port Clinton, Ohio where he met his future wife, Harriet Smith. In 1881 James hired his father-in-law, Sylvester Smith, to oversee the construction of his new brick residence which was completed the following year. Local craftsmen who worked on the house included Messrs. Bruner, Davey and Brimner. James and Harriet had six children: Fannie, James, Angeline, Gertrude, Mabel and Abby and they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at this home in 1911. Harriet died in 1912 and James followed her two years later. The Kingsville Public School Board purchased this home from Angeline in 1921 to be used as a high school, but sold it a few months later to Albert Eastman, Manager of the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Railway.

The Passing of Mrs. James W. King

The many friends here of Mrs. Jas. W. King were greatly shocked to hear of her unexpected death at the residence of her daughter in Walkerville, on Friday, Sept. 6th. [. . .]

The deceased was lady of a singularly sweet and lovable disposition with a heart overflowing with warm affection for those in trouble or who needed a mother’s care. Her hospitable door was always open and she seemed never so happy as when her friends were enjoying with her the happiness of her home. For over fifty years she and beloved husband, now left to mourn her loss, lived an ideally happy married life.

Bereft in the evening of life of his life companion, our hearts go out in sympathy not only to the family but particularly to the husband whose loss is irreparable.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1912 p.1

The Late Jas. W. King

James Workman King, after an illness extending over nearly two years, passed away at his home here on June 9th last. Deceased, a couple of years ago, suffered a paralytic stroke, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. He was able to sit up and be taken around in a wheel chair and was only confined to his bed a few days before his demise.

Mr. King was a son of the late Col. King, and was born at White Pigeon, Mich., Nov. 10th, 1835. Col. King moved to this place when James was young, and formed the nucleus of what is now the town of Kingsville. [. . .] He was a man of sprightly disposition, loved the company of his fellows, and in latter years was an enthusiastic bowler, member fo the Kingsville Bowling Club, and during his illness, was frequently wheeled up the green where he could watch the game. He was a member of the church of England and a faithful attendant up to the time of his sudden illness.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 18, 1914 p.1

by

Canfield-Hellems House (1872)

4 comments

Categories: 1870s, Tags: , , , , ,

Corner of Division St S and Mill St W

Designated in 2008

This Gothic Revival house, built in 1872, has seen many changes over the years. David Wesley Canfield, a successful businessman and lumberman purchased the land in 1870 and two years later had the home built. With his brothers Rial and Nicholas, Canfield’s many business interests in Kingsville included the Canfield Dock, pump factory, freight depot, lumberyard and saw mill on the east side of Division Street South. D.W. Canfield was also Councillor for the Village of Kingsville in 1880. Upon retirement, the Canfields left Kingsville for St. Louis Missouri and sold this property to William H. Hellems in 1895. Hellems was the publisher of the Kingsville Reporter from 1893 to 1935. His three daughters remained in the home until the last sister died in 1972.

Greatly Improved Appearance

The alterations which have been going on in the home of Mr. Hellms (sic) corner Mill Division Sts since the middle of June are completed and many have been the expressions of admiration over the result. The new porches at front and side were planned by Mr. Albert Wood of Detroit, who has a summer home just opposite the park here. He also chose the color of paint used and assisted the painter to mix it until the proper soft French grey shade was secured. The additions made by the carpenters harmonize with the original building, which is English in style. It is the only house in town of this particular design. The entire work is eminently satisfactory, and only emphasizes the fact that in the building of a home, an architect should be called in order that when the structure is completed, it may not be a blot on the landscape. Mr. Wood is an artist in his line.

The carpenter work was done by Mr. Willard Nichol with the assistance of his helpers, Messrs. Bottom and Cooper. The cement work was put in by Ernest Cox. The steps to porches by Orley Rumball. The brick work by Woodiwiss Bros. The tin work by C.C. Harris and the painting by Al Ford. All has been executed in the first class manner. The lumber was furnished by Conklin Planing Mills, which is a sufficient guarantee of its excellence and prompt delivery.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 13, 1925 p.1

1 2