Tag Archives: Green


Josephine Whittle House (1945)

No comments yet

Categories: 1940s, Tags:

6767 Division Street South

In April 1921, The Kingsville Reporter wrote: “A GOOD MOVE. An old land mark, which for a long time spoiled the appearance of Division St., the old red mill, opposite W.A. Smith’s residence, was yesterday purchased by John Swallow, who will tear down the mill, sell the material and will put the lots on the market.” Built in 1885 by G.W. Green, the buildings included a saw mill and handle factory. The saw mill burned down in 1893, but the factory was saved and expanded to also produce packing boxes for the canning company. In 1905, the “Green red mill” was renovated by the Ontario Cigar and Tobacco Co., and was later used by the Foster Tobacco Co. and Bailey Tobacco. This house, located on the old mill site, was built in 1945 for Josephine Whittle after the death her husband, Carleton.

The G.W. Green & Son’s red factory, on Division street, has been invaded by a number of carpenters who are refitting it for the use of the Canadian Cigar Co.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 19, 1905 p.5

It takes something over 300 window lights to replace the ones broken in the last few years in the red mill, which is being rebuilt for the Cigar Co.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1905 p.5

Tobacco Plants by the Million

The Ross Leaf Tobacco Co has leased the Seth Tinsley place on Spruce Street, and is having it rapidly covered with tobacco beds. There will 80 beds, 50 feet in length in all. It is calculated these beds will produce two million plants of the black and burley tobacco.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1926 p.1

Very little, if any, unemployment in town now. The two tobacco factories running full time have absorbed about all workless that were on our streets. The Hodge factory has over 200 at work and the Ross factory the same number. The work will continue until early spring.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 25, 1930 p.5

History of Tobacco Growing In Essex County

The few tobacco growers in the district who are putting in their flue cured plants this week are mainly long-time growers, some even descendants of those who pioneered the growth of the crop here, and are recalling the story of how Essex growers founded this industry in Canada, only to see it all but disappear from the county.

There seems to be no record of just when Essex County settlers first began to grow tobacco, but by 1871 their annual production was reported at 250 thousand pounds. The earliest growers air-cured the leaves and used them in their raw state.

Later they followed the established practices of the southern states in producing more than their own requirements, and for some years exported their surplus to other districts. By the close of the century, Canadians were importing properly dried leaf to satisfy their own increased population demand.

At about this time, experienced southern growers, travelling through Essex County, became interested in the potential of what they formerly considered frigid northlands, and influenced local businessmen to tap this promising new source of wealth.

The first tobacco firm to locate in Kingsville, Wilson and Bailey, bought tobacco from growers, sorted it into grades suitable for manufacturing, dried it so that it might be preserved and aged and packed it into hogsheads.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 9, 1960 p.4


Earl & Maggie Green House (1917)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

150150 Division Street South

When George Miner sold his home at 144 Division Street South in February 1917, he still owned the empty lot on the corner of Division and Stewart. Later that year, George “moved his frame house from the Miner homestead to his lot in town on Division street just north of the P.M. Railway. He will fit it up to sell or rent.” The house was purchased by James O. Brown, a local fisherman, in 1919. The following year Brown was appointed Kingsville’s Chief of Police, at a salary of $20 per month, and held that position for 12 years. James and his family moved to Windsor in 1934 when he became “a foreman in a Chrysler plant.” The Canadian National Institute for the Blind purchased this house in 1946 and it became the home of Earl Warren Green and his wife Maggie. Earl lost his sight in WWI, and became an instructor for the C.N.I.B. in Toronto before retiring to Kingsville.


In the appointment of Chief of Police considerable discussion took place. Mr. Loop thought a straight salary with pay for extras cut out was the most satisfactory method of dealing with this office. Mr. Salmoni asked Mr. Brown to define what he considered his duties as Chief of Police. Mr. Brown defined his position. He stated that he went on duty at 5 o’clock in the evening and quit at the same hour in the morning, that he was to see that law and order were preserved and that the bylaws of the town were lived up to. The extra that he got from business firms was not compulsory and that the business men understood this. The Mayor though the arrangement with the Chief of Police had worked out very nicely this year. Mr. Brown also stated that Leamington had been paying its Chief of Police extra for acting as night watch around business places, but he was informed this had been discontinued this year. There were no other applications for the position and it was moved by Cooper and Healey that J.O. Brown be Chief of Police for this year at a salary of $100 per month and $100 for the year for Sanitary Inspector and Truant officer. – Carried.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 11, 1923 p.1

[Earl] was on the Provost Marshal’s staff with Major Cartwright. Buried by shell while in action, Earl Green sustained injuries that robbed him of his sight [. . .]

Radio Commentator Claire Wallace recently made Earl Green the subject of his Toronto broadcasted program. He told listeners in detail how the blinded Green himself taught other sightless persons to get about without a guide. With Green’s patient tutelage they have learned to virtually “see” their way around town.

Standing six feet, five inches, this towering war veteran who was once an electrical worker, has been with the Canadian Institute for the blind for the past 10 years. In the past year he has trained 35 sightless persons, ranging in age from 24 to 84 years. One of this number was deaf as well as without sight. Of this number, 29 now get about Toronto at will and without guidance. The other six travel about their own neighborhood with ease.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 23, 1940 p.1

Earl W. Green Passes Suddenly

Earl W. Green, 67 years of age, died suddenly on Tuesday in Metropolitan Hospital, Windsor.

Deceased was born in Kingsville, son of the late George and Minnie Green. He served as corporal in the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifle Regiment, C.E.F. Was a life member of the Canadian Legion in Toronto and was formerly employed by the C.N.I.B. in Toronto.

His wide, Maggie, predeceased him in 1961. [. . .]

The town just won’t be the same with the passing of Earl Green. Earl, who was blind, was not only a special individual to our town, but travelled from coast to coast for years on behalf of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He proved, not only to the blind he taught, but also to us, who have natural eye-sight, that the handicaps of blindness can be overcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 22, 1962 p.1


The Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion of Kingsville has purchased in honor of Earl Green, an annual challenge trophy for cribbage, open to all active organizations in Kingsville

The Kingsville Reporter, March 14, 1968 p.2


James & Mabel Coate House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , ,

68 Division Street South

A two-storey frame house was built in 1881 by James Workman King, just north of the brick house he was planning to build (86 Division Street South). The home was quite modest and was used to house his “hired men,” and later became a rental property. In the fall of 1899, J.W.’s daughter Mabel became engaged to James R. Coate, a local hardware merchant. Mabel was given the frame house on Division St. S. in anticipation of the wedding the following spring. Her fiancé purchased a house from John D. Wigle, who was preparing to build his own brick residence, moved it to Mabel’s lot and attached it to the original home. When completed in 1900, the home was described as “one of the nicest and most convenient in town. The wood used in the interior is ash finished in oil, giving a very pretty effect. It is electric lighted throughout and piped for hot and cold water. The woodwork on the structure was done by G.W. Mercer and reflects credit upon that gentleman’s skill and taste as a workman.”

Marriage of Mr. J.R. Coate and Miss Mabel King.

A pretty wedding in Kingsville on Wednesday was that of Miss Mabel King, daughter of Mr. James King and Mr. James [Richard] Lamont Coate.

The church, the home of the bride, and the adjoining residence of Mrs. Curtis Green, sister of the bride, where the wedding breakfast was served, were most beautifully decorated with a profusion of ferns and pink and white roses.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Anderson at the Church of the Epiphany.

Punctually at three o’clock the bride looking lovelier than ever in her dainty bride robe of white silk and chiffon and wearing the usual veil, entered the church leaning on the arm of her father. Then followed the two little flower girls, Muriel Green, niece of the bride, and Marjory McKay, both looking sweet in fluffy white dresses and wearing wreaths of pink rosebuds and carrying sweet peas.

The bridesmaids, Miss Gertrude King, sister of the bride, and Miss Laura King, cousin of the bride, looking very pretty in white organdie dresses trimmed with white satin ribbon and lace, and large white hats trimmed with pink Meline and carrying pink roses.

The best man was Mr. Wesley Petch of Detroit and the ushers were Mr. Fred Allworth, Mr. Abram Green, Mr. George King and Mr. Charles King.

A reception was held at the bride’s home to seventy friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Coate left on the evening train for Chicago and other western points.

The popularity of the bride was shown by the great number of costly and magnificent wedding presents.

The flower decorations at the church were placed under the direction of Mrs. Dr. White, and were remarked upon by those present as the finest they had ever seen at a similar function. Mrs. White’s well known taste in such matters was amply displayed in the beautiful arrangement of roses and other potted plants around the chancel in the windows, around the chandeliers and twined about the doors, while the collection of ferns was probably the largest ever seen in Kingsville.

Miss Dollie Forster presided at the organ and played the wedding march.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 21, 1900 p.4

T.J. Salmoni has purchased the J.R. Coate residence on Division street south and will move into it on Oct. 1.

Amherstburg Echo, September 18, 1903 p.6

Ex-Mayor Salmoni Sells His Residence

W.A. Smith bought Salmoni’s house west side Division street south. Salmoni will built east side Division. Smith sold his house on the corner opposite the park to W.A. Russell of Guelph.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 12, 1919 p.1

The residence of W.A. Smith which he recently purchased from T.J. Salmoni has been re-rooted, partially resided and a fine verandah built on the east end and south side and the whole repainted, making it one of the finest appearing residences on the street.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 14, 1919 p.5


Curtis J. Green House (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

78 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In March 1888, Curtis James Green purchased Robert Barber’s half interest in the Green & Barber Mill and Factory to become partner with his father, George Warren. The new company was called Green & Son. Later that year, C.J. married Fannie, Col. King’s oldest granddaughter and moved into a house on Division Street South owned by his father-in-law. In 1892, Fannie’s father James Workman King gave the couple a building lot next to his residence and this home was completed in 1893. In addition to the lumber mill and factory, C.J. was involved in many businesses including the Kingsville Natural Gas Co., Kingsville Canning Company and the Chamberlin Metal Weather Strip Company. Later owners were Fannie and C.J.’s son, James Sidney Green and his wife Irene, who lived in this home from 1923 until 1968.

We were shown through Mr. Curtis Green’s new house, on Tuesday. It is nearly ready for occupation and when completed will be a home any man should feel proud of. T.P. Flanagan is doing the alabastine work, and he shows himself an adept at the business. The halls are done in salmon; one bedroom in pink, one in blue with purple trimmings; the parlor in terra cotta with ceiling lavender, and trimmings dark green; sitting room is much the same; dining room walls permanent blue, ceiling a lighter shade, dark green trimmings. The shades are very pretty, and, with the woodwork of natural oak done in oil, make an excellent combination.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Mr. C.J. Green has improved his residence on Division street by adding a large stone verandah also a sun parlor, which adds very much to its appearance. When completed, it will be occupied by his son, Sidney Green.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.5

Curtis J. Green

The people of this town were shocked when the news of the death of Mr. C.J. Green reached here on Thursday last. Mr. and Mrs. Green had been spending the winter months at Charleston, South Carolina for the benefit of Mrs. Green’s health, which had not been of the best for some time. Mrs. Green had been taken suddenly worse and their son Sidney of this place, and daughter, Mrs. Leo. King, Windsor, had been sent for. Mrs. Green began gradually to improve and Sidney had arranged to start for home Thursday. Mrs. Green was worse on Thursday morning when Mr. Green came over to see her and the shock combined with the worry over his wife’s condition was too much for him and his heart gave way, resulting in his death.

The Masonic fraternity of the city took charge of the body and made arrangements for its shipment north to Kingsville. It arrived here Sunday and the funeral took place under Masonic auspices. The Masonic brethren of Charleston were most kind and did everything possible in aid of the bereaved relatives in their hour of grief.

Deceased was in the 62nd year of his age. He was born near Hamilton and was the eldest son of the late G.W. Green. The family came to Kingsville in 1885 and engaged in the milling business. They also acquired extensive lumbering interests in the Southern States shipping most of the product north. Curtis has resided here practically all the time since 1885. Shortly after coming here he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny King, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W. King. Two children were born to the union, Sidney, now of Kingsville and Muriel (Mrs. Leo. King) of Windsor. Mr. Green was a good business man, of a quiet and rather reserved disposition, but well like and respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Anglican Church, a 32nd Degree Mason and a Scottish Riter. He is survived his widow and two children and his mother, who is now in Felsmere, Florida; also one sister, Mrs. Milford Wigle and Robt., both of Felsmere, Florida; Edgar, Detroit; A.B. (sic) of Walkerville and Albert of this town.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1925 p.1


Green’s Tenement House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , ,

205 Division Street South

George Warren Green and family moved to Kingsville from Greensville (near Hamilton) in 1885. Together with his nephew Robert Barber, G.W. purchased the Canfield lumber mill on Division Street South, near Mill Street East. Within a year, Green & Barber built a new larger lumber mill and a factory which manufactured “fork, pick and maul handles” and employed “13 hands.” Green started building employee housing on Myrtle Street in 1889, and had this “tenement house” constructed in 1891 on property he leased from J.H. Smart and Dr. S.A. King. G.W. finally purchased the lot in 1901 and this home remained in the Green family, as a rental property, until 1923 when it was sold to Bon Jasperson. Later owners include Isaac & Lulu Whittle and Charlotte Berry.

Green & Barber’s new saw mill is on the way. It is to be erected in the north east corner of their lot on Division street and will be of two or more stories, 60×36 feet, and will be fitted with the usual machinery of a saw mill with the latest improvements, which will be driven by a new 35-horse power engine, having a 45 horse power boiler.

Amherstburg Echo, December 5, 1885 p.6

During the year 1887, Green & Barber paid out in Kingsville, in cash, $5,374.65, and yet some people say these factories are no good to a village.

Amherstburg Echo, January 14, 1888 p.6

Green & Son have put into their factory a “blower” made by Curtis Joyce, of this village. The object of this is to carry away saw dust and shavings from all the machines in the entire mill and convey them to a building near the furnace to be used as fuel for running machinery in the factory.

Amherstburg Echo, April 6, 1888 p.6

Destructive Fire

G.W. Green & Son’s Saw Mill Consumed

Loss Over $2,000

On Tuesday morning at four o’clock, our citizens were aroused by the alarm of fire. The fire proved to be in Green’s saw mill, in rear of their large factory on Division St. When discovered the devouring element was under full head-way, and the roof had fallen in. The townspeople promptly responded to to (sic) the call and did what they could toward saving the lumber around the burning building, and in preventing the spread of the flames to the factory, a short distance away. There was a large pile of wood stacked between the two buildings, and a considerable portion of this had to be removed in order to clear a space between the mill and factory. The wood flew right and left for a time very lively, until danger from this direction was past, and then attention was turned to the fences and to the roof of the factory, which caught fire several times. and it was almost a miracle that the factory was saved from destruction. As we have no system of fire protection, all that could be done was to save what loose material there was in that yard, and keep the fire from spreading as much as possible.

The origin of the fire is a mystery. The mill had been running for a short time in the forenoon the day before, but as gas is used instead of wood for firing, and that was turned off at noon, it could not have caught from that source. There was only about $200 insurance on the mill and contents, which was valued at $2,500. The machinery is a total loss. Fortunately there was not much lumber in the yard, it having been shipped away some time since. There is in the yard probably 100,000 feet of logs, which will no doubt be cut at Smith’s mill.

Messrs. Green & Son will not rebuild this season, but will probably do so next season. We are pleased that it is their intention to rebuild, as the town can ill-afford to lose industries of this kind.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1893 p.1

G.W. Green & Son’s factory and mills have started and are running full blast.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 27, 1894 p.7

Green & Son’s factory will make 20,000 boxes for the canning factory this season.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1895 p.8

1 2