Tag Archives: Henry


The Alexandra Cottage (1902)

1 comment

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

235 Division Street South

The Alexandra Cottage was the second cottage built by D.H. McCay and G.W. Mercer for George W. Henry in 1902. Used as a rental property until 1912 when it was purchased by Brayton “Bert” Westcott and his wife Inez. Before moving to Kingsville, Bert was a “wholesale and retail dealer in wines, liquors and cigars” in Leamington, and also carried “the finest lines of port and sherry wines and malt stout for medicinal purposes.” After selling his shop to F.W. DeLaurier, Bert settled in Kingsville to become a full time sales agent for the Walkerville Brewery. Leamington not only lost their liquor dealer who provided “personal supervision” to all orders, but also their famed baseball pitcher, who was “the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom.”

Mrs. G.W. Henry and Mrs. Fowler entertained some eighty of their friends to a Hallowe’en party last evening at Alexandra cottage. The cottage was very tastefully decorated for the occasion. The evening was spent with Hallowe’en games, participated in by both old and young, at the close of which a very sumptuous repast was provided. Everyone went away happy and only feeling sorry that Hallowe’en, accompanied by such an entertainment provided, did not occur oftener. The young ladies were dressed in antiquated costumes, which created considerable merriment. The electrician had the electric lights arranged in very artistic style for the occasion.

The Windsor Evening Record, November 3, 1902 p.3

The old hilarious game of baseball seems to have lost something of the fire and brimstone that old-time conflicts used to fan. ‘Member them games played between the old Ruthven Invincibles and Leamington, when Ruthven, always just a little too hefty, used to drub us. ‘Member when the mighty Bert Westcott came to town, heralded as the pitcher to beat the Ruthven farmers back to their ploughshares? Mr. Westcott was the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom. As I recall it, this new article was something superb. We kids all sought to emulate the gymnastic, much to the risk of bones. It was a sort of a super-contortion, which in process gave the spectator a perfect idea of the evolution of a pretsel (sic). ‘Member the first ball delivered to the late George Orton, mighty slugger of the old Invincibles? Well, our pitcher unwound himself and catapulted the ball. There resounded two sharp snaps, one when George clipped the hissing sphere, and another when the rebounding bullet smacked Bert square on the nose. That ended the game. Darn them Ruthven farmers! After that smack it always struck us that Bert’s nose seemed sort o’ drawin’ back, like as if forever apprehensive of flying missiles.

The Leamington Post, June 22, 1933 p.2

B.G. Westcott Passes Away in Leam. Hospital

Funeral services for the late Brayton Graham (Bert) Westcott 83 years; who died in Leamington District Memorial Hospital on Sunday following a short illness was held from the Ferguson Funeral Home in Kingsville on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. F.M. Ward officiating. Interment was in Lakeview cemetery, Leamington.

Deceased was born at Wapoose Island, Ont., son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Westoctt. He was educated in Dresden. Later the family moved to Leamington and in 1910 came to Kingsville. He was employed in the Sales Dept. of the Walkerville Brewery for 50 years.

Mrs. Westcott predeceased her husband 13 years ago.

He was a member of St. Georges Lodge A.F. and A.M. No. 41 Kingsville, and of the Mocha Shrine Lodge in London.

Surviving is one son, William of Birmingham, Mich., three grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 16, 1953 p.1


Robin’s Nest (1902)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , ,

247 Division Street South

1902 was a very good year for fruit farmer George W. Henry. His fruit exporting business was so successful that needed to build an addition to his warehouse near the Kingsville Train Station. It was also the year that Henry branched out into the cottage business. Already owning two cottages, Henry purchased two other vacant lots on Division Street South and hired D.H. McCay and G.W. Mercer as his contractors. Building began in March and when completed by June 1st, this cottage was christened “Robin’s Nest.” Spending more and more time in California, Henry sold his cottages in 1914 and Robin’s Nest became the summer home of Dr. John Brown from Toronto. Later years saw Robin’s Nest converted into a duplex with an “attractive flat above furnished to rent.”

The G.W. Henry cottages are nearly complete and are most picturesque and beautiful in style.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 8, 1902 p.5

Mr. G.W. Henry has gone east where he will be for several weeks overseeing the packing and shipping of 7,000 barrels of apples, the Henry Co. have bought and are sending to the Old Country markets.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 30, 1909 p.5

Removing to Pasedena Cal.

Mr and Mrs G.W. Henry and Miss Maud Henry leave our town this week after a residence here of twenty years. They will visit with Mrs. Henry’s sister in Detroit for a couple of weeks before they leave for Pasadena. Mr. Henry has a home there and it is his intention to permanently reside in California. The best wishes of a large circle of friends goe (sic) with them.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 5, 1918 p.1

Wanted:  ROOMERS – For fall and winter months, refined couple, home privileges. “Robin’s Nest” Division St., near car line.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 29, 1925 p.1


Alan Richards has taken a position as watchmaker with McCreery’s Jewellery.

Mr and Mrs Richards and son Martyn arrived in Canada only recently from Cardiff, Wales where he owned and operated his own jewellery business.

The family is at present staying at the Cowan Tourist Home, but will take up permanent residence in the Robin’s Nest apartment, formerly occupied by Jamie and family.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1957 p.1


Albert & Hannah Malott House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

231 Division Street South

Albert (son of Capt. William J. Malott) married Hannah (daughter of John Herrington) in 1887 and they built a home (which no longer stands) on the corner of Division Street South and Erie Street the following year. Following in his father’s footsteps, Albert was a “wharfinger” and later became the lighthouse keeper for Kingsville. In 1900, Albert and Hannah purchased a vacant lot on the corner of Division Street South and Prospect for $125 and built a cottage in a style that was popular at the time. Two years later, the Malotts moved to Mill Street West and Albert pursued a career in carpentry. Later owners include George Henry and Martha Grenville. When Albert Lainchbury purchased the home in 1914, he hired the Oxley Brothers to convert the cottage into a two-storey house, and the “large veranda” was added in 1916.

Our Growing Time

Fifty Thousand Dollars Worth Of Residences Being Built

To give some idea of the building operations in Kingsville, for this year, we have interviewed the various contractors, and the following are the various contracts which they have underway [. . .]

Oxley Bros., Contractors [. . .]

Mr. Lainchbury, Division st. south, making cottage into two story house, $1,000

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.1

Mr. Lainchbury is making a very great improvement to his home on Division St. south, by adding on the north and west sides a large veranda. One would scarcely credit what an addition it makes in the appearance of the house.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 21, 1916 p.5

On Christmas day, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Lainchbury was the scene of a very pretty wedding, when their youngest daughter, Florence, was united in marriage to Dr. Ardell P. Morris, of Toronto, son of Dr. and Mrs. Morris, of Mt. Elgin.

At high noon, the bride entered the drawing room on the arm of her father to the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march, played by her cousin, Miss Fern Jeffery, who was prettily dressed in green satin. The bride was attired in a beautiful gown of flesh color crepe de chene with pearl trimming, wearing a veil caught by orange blossoms and carrying a bridal boquet [sic] of roses and valley lilies. The Rev. J.E.J. Millyard officiated. The only attendant was Baby Jean, niece of the bride, wearing a pretty little dress of pale blue crepe de chine and carrying the ring in a basket of freesias. After congratualtions, the guests retired to the dining room, where a delicious wedding repast was served by Misses Eula Wigle, attired in white silk, and Madeline Bennett, dressed in pink silk, both wearing a corsage boquet [sic]. Many beautiful and useful presents were received, among them being handsome cheques from the fathers of the bride and groom.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 26, 1918 p.1


Parchment Deeds From the Crown 108 Years Ago

Mr. Albert Malott laid on our table yesterday some ancient documents in the form of title deeds from the Crown, which were in the possession of his father-in-law, the late Mr. John Herrington. While somewhat greyed with age they are in a good state of preservation and the print and signatures to the deeds are distinct and perfectly legible. The deed is of parchment and was made to John Tofflemire on the 21st of February, 1824, a part of which lot is now occupied by the town park; the other was a grant to John Wigle of 200 acres, being lot No. 3 in the Second Concession, West Division, Gosfield South.

The transfer was given under the great seal of the Province of Upper Canada and D. Cameron was registrar at the time. The “great seal” was indeed “great.” It measured 4 1/2 incles across and was 1/4 of an inch thick. It was made of wax – probably a mixture of beeswax and resin – and either side was covered with paper and the seal had been placed in the press containing the dies and stamped. The design on the stamp in the center was a wreath through which were an anchor and a sword crossed; at the bottom of this design are two cornucopias (horns of plenty) and the whole is surmounted by the British crown. Lettering around the outer edge of the seal is not legible. The reverse side is stamped with the British Coat-of-Arms, and also lettered at the outer edge. The seal is fastened to the document with a piece of linen tape pressed in the wax and attached to the parchment in such a way that the seal sould not be detached without cutting the tape, tearing the parchment or destroying the seal.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 21, 1932 p.5


James F. DeJean House (1891)

1 comment

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

267 Division Street South

James F. DeJean was born in 1841 in British Guiana on the northern coast of South America. After being in “the service of Her Majesty in the tropical climate of India for 15 years” and enduring “the hardships of a sailor’s life on the Mediterranean for five years” DeJean emigrated to Canada, married Ellen Ormerod of Brantford and settled in London, Ontario working for Molson’s Bank. As a summer vacationer to Kingsville, DeJean purchased property on Division Street South in 1887 and had a summer cottage built in 1889. Two years later, DeJean decided to move to Kingsville permanently to open up a private bank. He purchased property on Main Street West, constructed a 2-storey brick building, moved his cottage to Chestnut street and had this “handsome residence” built, all in the spring and summer of 1891. Unfortunately, DeJean’s health began to fail shortly afterwards and he died in April 1893. Ellen remained in this home until 1899, raising her children (Nellie, Gertrude, Marion, Frederick and James) and running a “fancy goods and notions” store in the DeJean Block on Main Street West.

Mr. DeJean, of London, will build a handsome new residence on his lot on Division street. The building which is situated on the site where the new one is to be, will be moved on to Chestnut street where it will be to rent. The work of excavation for Mr. Dejean’s new block of stores was commenced last week. The building will be two stories, 38 x 45 feet, and will cost $3,000. The stores will be fitted for a banking office and drug store.

Amherstburg Echo, April 17, 1891 p.6

The Masonic lodge, of which the late J.F. DeJean was a member, was in attendance at his funeral and marched with the corpse to the Greenhill cemetery where the interment was made. Deceased was 52 years old and was born in British Guiana.

Amherstburg Echo, April 14, 1893 p.6

Mr. Fred DeJean has secured a situation as clerk in Molson’s Bank here. We feel assured that if honesty and integrity count for anything Fred will get to the front in time.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.5

Mrs. Fowler of Detroit, is preparing to move into her new residence at the lake, formerly the Mrs. DeJean property. She has had the house repaired and refurnished. It is finished throughout with ingrain paper. The effect is terra cotta and old gold, which is pleasing and rich in appearance. The work was done under the supervision of S.L. McKay.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 23, 1899 p.5

A musical of an unusually artistic order was given last Thursday evening at the residence of Mrs. W.J. Fowler, Division st. Each number was charmingly rendered and greatly appreciated. The participants were Mrs. George W. Henry, pianist; Miss E.M. Fowler, contralto; Mrs. Westcott, contralto; assisted by Julius V. Seyler, pianist and Alfred Hofman, cellist, two distinguished musicians from Detroit. The evening was one which will be long remembered by the few friends entertained in honor of Mrs. Seyler, Miss Seyler and Mr. Seyler, Mrs. Fowler’s guests from Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 15, 1901 p.4


Fraser & Caroline Westcott House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

261 Division Street South

Dr. William H. Drake was a very prominent physician in Kingsville from 1856 until his retirement to Windsor in 1894. In 1891, Dr. Drake has this “summer residence” built but never actually lived in it. As soon as it was completed, private banker Fraser Westcott and his wife Caroline moved in and remained in this home for nine years. Caroline A. Westcott was an accomplished musician and composer of several published songs including “Essex Heroes,” “Our Queen” and “Mettawas Waltzes.” In 1899, Molson’s Bank purchased Westcott’s Bank and the Westcotts bought the house next door, on the corner of Division and Erie, which no longer stands. That same year, Dr. Drake sold this house to George and Marian Henry but it was a later owner, Heenan Bruner, who added the verandahs in 1922.

Mrs. F. Westcott, author of the Mettawas Waltzes has just had published another piece of music set to the words of that lovely hymn, “Jesus Lover of My Soul.” Musical critics speak very highly of this, Mrs. Westcott’s latest production, and it bids fair to become, if anything, more popular than the Mettawas Waltzes. On sale at Leggett’s.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 15, 1895 p.5

Branch of Molson’s Bank Established in Kingsville

On Friday evening last Mr. Thompson, manager of the Ridgetown Branch Molsons Bank, arrived in town, and inside of a couple of hours had decided to open a branch of the Molsons in this place. He at once got out his advertising matter and announced his intention to the public. It was first intended to occupy the DeJean block, but subsequently arrangements were made to absorb Westcott’s private bank, and use the premises occupied by that gentleman.

On Tuesday evening Mr. H.A. Barrier, head office accountant from Montreal, arrived in town and completed the arrangements made by Mr. Thompson, and the bank opened for business today. [. . .] Mr. F. Westcott has secured the position of accountant in the new business, which will be gratifying to his numerous friends here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.4

Heenan Bruner is adding very much to the appearance of his home on Division St., by building verandas in front and at the side of the residence. The front is 12×30 and the side 6×30, all enclosed with glass and screened for the summer.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 31, 1922 p.5