Tag Archives: Jasperson

by

Cascadden House (1913)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags:

214 Division Street South

It was a shock when David Cascadden died in 1898. He was undergoing an operation to have a finger amputated and his heart stopped “while under the influence of chloroform.” Cascadden left behind a wife, Louisa, and 11 children: Cornelia, Alexander, Golden, Gordon, Mary, James, Charles, Blanche, Cyrene, Orlando and David. By 1911, all the children had moved on except for James and David, who lived with Louisa on Stanley Street. Louisa purchased the lot on the the corner of Stanley and Division streets from Lucinda McLean and her sons built this home for the three of them in 1913. The house was sold in 1915 to George Jasperson when David married Ethel Remington, and Louisa and James moved to Windsor.

Volunteer Reunion

Memories of 1838 and 1866 – Pleasant Gathering at Kingsville

On Thursday evening of last week, in spite of the inclement weather, there was a goodly reunion of the former members of old No. 7 Infantry Company, (of which Dr. S.A. King was captain) at a banquet at the Grovedale House, Kingsville.

The surviving members of the original company are as follows: – David Cascadden, Thomas Bertrand, Benj. Wigle, Chas. Smith, Louis Govereau, Thomas Scratch, Wm. Black, John Welch, Albert Scratch, James Potts, John Cooper, Joseph McDonald, Luke Scratch, Wm. Craft, Newell Woodiwiss, David Elliott, Frank Davis, Thaddeus Scratch, Joseph H. Wigle, Samuel Wigle, Charles Richardson, Steven Fulmer, Henry Bertrand, Henry Malott, Alfred Scratch, Adolphus Scratch, Arthur Maynard, Michael Brennan, Joshua Ulch. These brave men rallied for the defense of our shores in the year 1866 against the Fenians. It was a bright Sabbath day in June, 1866, when the information was received that a large troop of Fenians had left Sandusky, Ohio, and were winding their way towards our shores. The news spread towards our shores. The news sprang like wild-fire from house to house and messengers were sent to the various members of company No. 7 to shoulder arms and hasten to headquarters. Most of the members were farmers, and upon hearing the news they at once left their homes to answer the roll call and prepared for battle. Being filled with that true patriotic spirit they did not flinch at the fate that was apparently before them, but advanced bravely to the front determined, if necessary, to give up their lives in defence of their homes and property. The officers in command were Dr. S.A. King, captain; Frank Davis, lieutenant; Geo. Rumble and David Elliott, sergeants; Benjamin Wigle, Joshua Wigle, and Almeron Wigle, corporals. Invitations were also extended to Samuel Black, John Woodiwiss, James Sisson and Henry Harris, surviving members of the company, who fought in the rebellion of ‘37 and ‘38. Through the management of Sergeant Elliott, proprietor of the Grovedale House, the dining hall was fitly decorated with flags and guns in commemoration of the event.

Amherstburg Echo, November 15, 1895 p.1

Mr. George Jasperson yesterday acquired the house and lot corner of Division and Stanley streets from Cascadden Bros. Mr. Jasperson will overhaul the property and put it in shape for renting. We understand the Cascadden brothers will remove to Windsor.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 11, 1915 p.5

Capt. Sheates, of the Str Pelee, has removed from Owen Sound to this place and is occupying the upper flat of Mr. Jasperson’s new house corner of Division and Stanley streets.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 26, 1915 p.5

CASCADDEN

On Tuesday last Mrs. Cascadden, relict of the late David Cascadden of this town, died in Windsor, at the home of Oliver Jones, aged 76 years. Deceased had been ailing for years with heart trouble, and had been living in Windsor for some time. She leaves the following children: Mrs. Thos. Knight, Gosfield South; Alex., Kingsville; Goldie, Pontiac; Gordon, Charles, Cyrene, Orlando, Windsor; David, Detroit, and James of London. She also leaves brothers and sisters as follows: Mrs. Joseph McDonald, Kingsville; Mrs. Sim. Steward, McGregor; Mrs. Bessie Lake, Salt Lake City, and Gordon Nutson of Owosso, Mich. The funeral takes place here this afternoon, at 2 o’clock from the home of her son, Alex. Interment will be made in Greenhill cemetery.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 9, 1920 p.1

by

William Davey Block (1908)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , ,

16-18 Division Street South

William Melord Davey was born in Lockport, New York in 1859. His parents came to Canada and settled in Colchester when he was three years old to take up farming. William left the farm at the age of 11 or 12 and came to Kingsville to learn the trade of bricklaying. In May of 1880, he married Osea Wright and together they raised three sons and three daughters in Kingsville. A successful mason for many years, William changed careers in 1908 when he built this “brick block” and opened a restaurant with lodging rooms on the second floor. After William’s death in 1913, the restaurant had a series of managers including Robert Lamarsh, Maria Sherman, John Kinnee and Laura Longland. The building was converted into a garage in 1918 which was occupied first by the Fox Bros. and later the Cox Bros. Bon Jasperson purchased the garage in 1930, hired the Oxley Bros. to renovate the building and The Maple Sweet Shop moved in, offering to “Serve Meals to the General Public with the usual courtesy.”

Wm Davey has opened up a restaurant in his new building which he erected on Division st south. It is well lighted and heated and has a very commodius dining room, about 25 feet wide by 30 long. Everything is neatly arranged and comfortable. Upstairs has a hall extending the full length of the building and there are 7 or 8 bedrooms, bathrooms and snug little sitting room at the front. The rooms are all well lighted and airy. We understand he intends to take boarders as soon as he has everything in shape. He furnishes meals and lunches at all times.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 24, 1908 p.5

The Queen’s Hotel Kingsville

MRS. LONGLAND

Who wouldn’t enjoy one of those well cooked and fastidious meals at the new Queen’s Hotel, Kingsville. The boys on the road that know quality and taste and when the palate is appealed to said it was “queenish.” They said, “Now we will call it the Queen’s Hotel.” Mrs. Longland is known as the Queenish dish server of dainty things. She just knows how to take care of wedding parties in a delightful way. We owe the Queen’s Hotel the right hand flourish in Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 14, 1917 p.1

To Rent

FLAT – nine rooms, in good condition, central location. Apply Cox Bros., Division St South

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.1

Oxley Bros., contractors, have charge of the work of rebuilding the block on the west side of Division St. that Mr. Bon Jasperson bought from Cox Bros. The building is cement block, but a fine red brick front is being put on and the downstairs will be used for two stores and the upstairs for offices.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 10, 1930 p.5

by

Green’s Tenement House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , ,

205 Division Street South

George Warren Green and family moved to Kingsville from Greensville (near Hamilton) in 1885. Together with his nephew Robert Barber, G.W. purchased the Canfield lumber mill on Division Street South, near Mill Street East. Within a year, Green & Barber built a new larger lumber mill and a factory which manufactured “fork, pick and maul handles” and employed “13 hands.” Green started building employee housing on Myrtle Street in 1889, and had this “tenement house” constructed in 1891 on property he leased from J.H. Smart and Dr. S.A. King. G.W. finally purchased the lot in 1901 and this home remained in the Green family, as a rental property, until 1923 when it was sold to Bon Jasperson. Later owners include Isaac & Lulu Whittle and Charlotte Berry.

Green & Barber’s new saw mill is on the way. It is to be erected in the north east corner of their lot on Division street and will be of two or more stories, 60×36 feet, and will be fitted with the usual machinery of a saw mill with the latest improvements, which will be driven by a new 35-horse power engine, having a 45 horse power boiler.

Amherstburg Echo, December 5, 1885 p.6

During the year 1887, Green & Barber paid out in Kingsville, in cash, $5,374.65, and yet some people say these factories are no good to a village.

Amherstburg Echo, January 14, 1888 p.6

Green & Son have put into their factory a “blower” made by Curtis Joyce, of this village. The object of this is to carry away saw dust and shavings from all the machines in the entire mill and convey them to a building near the furnace to be used as fuel for running machinery in the factory.

Amherstburg Echo, April 6, 1888 p.6

Destructive Fire

G.W. Green & Son’s Saw Mill Consumed

Loss Over $2,000

On Tuesday morning at four o’clock, our citizens were aroused by the alarm of fire. The fire proved to be in Green’s saw mill, in rear of their large factory on Division St. When discovered the devouring element was under full head-way, and the roof had fallen in. The townspeople promptly responded to to (sic) the call and did what they could toward saving the lumber around the burning building, and in preventing the spread of the flames to the factory, a short distance away. There was a large pile of wood stacked between the two buildings, and a considerable portion of this had to be removed in order to clear a space between the mill and factory. The wood flew right and left for a time very lively, until danger from this direction was past, and then attention was turned to the fences and to the roof of the factory, which caught fire several times. and it was almost a miracle that the factory was saved from destruction. As we have no system of fire protection, all that could be done was to save what loose material there was in that yard, and keep the fire from spreading as much as possible.

The origin of the fire is a mystery. The mill had been running for a short time in the forenoon the day before, but as gas is used instead of wood for firing, and that was turned off at noon, it could not have caught from that source. There was only about $200 insurance on the mill and contents, which was valued at $2,500. The machinery is a total loss. Fortunately there was not much lumber in the yard, it having been shipped away some time since. There is in the yard probably 100,000 feet of logs, which will no doubt be cut at Smith’s mill.

Messrs. Green & Son will not rebuild this season, but will probably do so next season. We are pleased that it is their intention to rebuild, as the town can ill-afford to lose industries of this kind.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1893 p.1

G.W. Green & Son’s factory and mills have started and are running full blast.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 27, 1894 p.7

Green & Son’s factory will make 20,000 boxes for the canning factory this season.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1895 p.8

by

Seger L. McKay House (1890)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

121 Division Street South

“House Mover” Peter J. Wigle and his wife Sarah moved into their new “Scotch cottage” style house on Division Street South in June 1890. Unfortunately, “Uncle Peter” died four months later at the age of 79. Sarah remained in the home and opened it up to boarders. One lodger was Seger L. McKay, a hardware merchant from Woodstock. As reported in October 1890, “Mr. McKay, of the new hardware store is a single man. The girls have made a note of this. If he worries through on his own more than 2 years, we give up. When our girls take a desirable young man in hand, the minister and cake is the general result.” It took a little more than two years, but in June 1893 the following announcement was printed in the newspaper: “Cards are out for the marriage of S.L. McKay, of Kingsville, to Edith, daughter of Lewis Wigle, ex-M.P., of Leamington.” After the wedding, “Mac” and Edith rented Sarah’s house and eventually purchased it in 1899.

J.A. Maycock has just completed a set of plans for Mrs. Peter J. Wigle’s brick residence. The design is of the “Scotch cottage” style and is very pretty.

Amherstburg Echo, July 19, 1889 p.6

Mr. S.L McKay and bride, arrived here Saturday night last, and will reside in Mrs. Peter J. Wigle’s house on Division street.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Struck a Good Thing

Mr. S L McKay received a telegram this week from the operators on a property at Cobalt in which he is interested, to the effect that a six inch vein of native silver and a vein of from one to three inches of wire silver had been opened up. The property is known as the Cobalt Contact, is two and a half miles from the town of Cobalt, in the township of Bucke. Mr. McKay, Messrs. Geo. and B. Jasperson and Mayor Wigle have a sixth interest in the property. There are other good properties all around the claim.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.4

Mr. and Mrs. S L McKay removed from here this week to Sarnia. In the departure of Mr. McKay the town sustains a distinct loss.  As Mayor of the town and President of the Board of trade for years Mr. McKay displayed a grasp of business affairs which has been the admiration of everyone who knew him. In gas matters he launched some bold schemes, and they have all proven winners from a financial point of view. Mr. McKay came here twenty years ago from Woodstock and engaged in the hardware business. He was successful from the start, but when he branched out into gas and oil he sold his store. He and his partner, Mr. B. Jasperson succeeded in getting American capital interested in the possibilities of gas from this district and through this Mr. McKay was made secretary-treasurer of the Sarnia Fuel Supply Co., which necessitated his removal from here. His many friends wish for him and his family continued prosperity.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 13, 1910 p.5

Thos. Clark and family have moved into their Division street home recently purchased from Mr. S.L. McKay.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 24, 1910 p.5

1 2