Tag Archives: King

by

James & Mabel Coate House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , ,

68 Division Street South

A two-storey frame house was built in 1881 by James Workman King, just north of the brick house he was planning to build (86 Division Street South). The home was quite modest and was used to house his “hired men,” and later became a rental property. In the fall of 1899, J.W.’s daughter Mabel became engaged to James R. Coate, a local hardware merchant. Mabel was given the frame house on Division St. S. in anticipation of the wedding the following spring. Her fiancé purchased a house from John D. Wigle, who was preparing to build his own brick residence, moved it to Mabel’s lot and attached it to the original home. When completed in 1900, the home was described as “one of the nicest and most convenient in town. The wood used in the interior is ash finished in oil, giving a very pretty effect. It is electric lighted throughout and piped for hot and cold water. The woodwork on the structure was done by G.W. Mercer and reflects credit upon that gentleman’s skill and taste as a workman.”

Marriage of Mr. J.R. Coate and Miss Mabel King.

A pretty wedding in Kingsville on Wednesday was that of Miss Mabel King, daughter of Mr. James King and Mr. James [Richard] Lamont Coate.

The church, the home of the bride, and the adjoining residence of Mrs. Curtis Green, sister of the bride, where the wedding breakfast was served, were most beautifully decorated with a profusion of ferns and pink and white roses.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Anderson at the Church of the Epiphany.

Punctually at three o’clock the bride looking lovelier than ever in her dainty bride robe of white silk and chiffon and wearing the usual veil, entered the church leaning on the arm of her father. Then followed the two little flower girls, Muriel Green, niece of the bride, and Marjory McKay, both looking sweet in fluffy white dresses and wearing wreaths of pink rosebuds and carrying sweet peas.

The bridesmaids, Miss Gertrude King, sister of the bride, and Miss Laura King, cousin of the bride, looking very pretty in white organdie dresses trimmed with white satin ribbon and lace, and large white hats trimmed with pink Meline and carrying pink roses.

The best man was Mr. Wesley Petch of Detroit and the ushers were Mr. Fred Allworth, Mr. Abram Green, Mr. George King and Mr. Charles King.

A reception was held at the bride’s home to seventy friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Coate left on the evening train for Chicago and other western points.

The popularity of the bride was shown by the great number of costly and magnificent wedding presents.

The flower decorations at the church were placed under the direction of Mrs. Dr. White, and were remarked upon by those present as the finest they had ever seen at a similar function. Mrs. White’s well known taste in such matters was amply displayed in the beautiful arrangement of roses and other potted plants around the chancel in the windows, around the chandeliers and twined about the doors, while the collection of ferns was probably the largest ever seen in Kingsville.

Miss Dollie Forster presided at the organ and played the wedding march.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 21, 1900 p.4

T.J. Salmoni has purchased the J.R. Coate residence on Division street south and will move into it on Oct. 1.

Amherstburg Echo, September 18, 1903 p.6

Ex-Mayor Salmoni Sells His Residence

W.A. Smith bought Salmoni’s house west side Division street south. Salmoni will built east side Division. Smith sold his house on the corner opposite the park to W.A. Russell of Guelph.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 12, 1919 p.1

The residence of W.A. Smith which he recently purchased from T.J. Salmoni has been re-rooted, partially resided and a fine verandah built on the east end and south side and the whole repainted, making it one of the finest appearing residences on the street.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 14, 1919 p.5

by

Curtis J. Green House (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

78 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In March 1888, Curtis James Green purchased Robert Barber’s half interest in the Green & Barber Mill and Factory to become partner with his father, George Warren. The new company was called Green & Son. Later that year, C.J. married Fannie, Col. King’s oldest granddaughter and moved into a house on Division Street South owned by his father-in-law. In 1892, Fannie’s father James Workman King gave the couple a building lot next to his residence and this home was completed in 1893. In addition to the lumber mill and factory, C.J. was involved in many businesses including the Kingsville Natural Gas Co., Kingsville Canning Company and the Chamberlin Metal Weather Strip Company. Later owners were Fannie and C.J.’s son, James Sidney Green and his wife Irene, who lived in this home from 1923 until 1968.

We were shown through Mr. Curtis Green’s new house, on Tuesday. It is nearly ready for occupation and when completed will be a home any man should feel proud of. T.P. Flanagan is doing the alabastine work, and he shows himself an adept at the business. The halls are done in salmon; one bedroom in pink, one in blue with purple trimmings; the parlor in terra cotta with ceiling lavender, and trimmings dark green; sitting room is much the same; dining room walls permanent blue, ceiling a lighter shade, dark green trimmings. The shades are very pretty, and, with the woodwork of natural oak done in oil, make an excellent combination.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Mr. C.J. Green has improved his residence on Division street by adding a large stone verandah also a sun parlor, which adds very much to its appearance. When completed, it will be occupied by his son, Sidney Green.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.5

Curtis J. Green

The people of this town were shocked when the news of the death of Mr. C.J. Green reached here on Thursday last. Mr. and Mrs. Green had been spending the winter months at Charleston, South Carolina for the benefit of Mrs. Green’s health, which had not been of the best for some time. Mrs. Green had been taken suddenly worse and their son Sidney of this place, and daughter, Mrs. Leo. King, Windsor, had been sent for. Mrs. Green began gradually to improve and Sidney had arranged to start for home Thursday. Mrs. Green was worse on Thursday morning when Mr. Green came over to see her and the shock combined with the worry over his wife’s condition was too much for him and his heart gave way, resulting in his death.

The Masonic fraternity of the city took charge of the body and made arrangements for its shipment north to Kingsville. It arrived here Sunday and the funeral took place under Masonic auspices. The Masonic brethren of Charleston were most kind and did everything possible in aid of the bereaved relatives in their hour of grief.

Deceased was in the 62nd year of his age. He was born near Hamilton and was the eldest son of the late G.W. Green. The family came to Kingsville in 1885 and engaged in the milling business. They also acquired extensive lumbering interests in the Southern States shipping most of the product north. Curtis has resided here practically all the time since 1885. Shortly after coming here he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny King, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W. King. Two children were born to the union, Sidney, now of Kingsville and Muriel (Mrs. Leo. King) of Windsor. Mr. Green was a good business man, of a quiet and rather reserved disposition, but well like and respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Anglican Church, a 32nd Degree Mason and a Scottish Riter. He is survived his widow and two children and his mother, who is now in Felsmere, Florida; also one sister, Mrs. Milford Wigle and Robt., both of Felsmere, Florida; Edgar, Detroit; A.B. (sic) of Walkerville and Albert of this town.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1925 p.1

by

Green’s Tenement House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , ,

205 Division Street South

George Warren Green and family moved to Kingsville from Greensville (near Hamilton) in 1885. Together with his nephew Robert Barber, G.W. purchased the Canfield lumber mill on Division Street South, near Mill Street East. Within a year, Green & Barber built a new larger lumber mill and a factory which manufactured “fork, pick and maul handles” and employed “13 hands.” Green started building employee housing on Myrtle Street in 1889, and had this “tenement house” constructed in 1891 on property he leased from J.H. Smart and Dr. S.A. King. G.W. finally purchased the lot in 1901 and this home remained in the Green family, as a rental property, until 1923 when it was sold to Bon Jasperson. Later owners include Isaac & Lulu Whittle and Charlotte Berry.

Green & Barber’s new saw mill is on the way. It is to be erected in the north east corner of their lot on Division street and will be of two or more stories, 60×36 feet, and will be fitted with the usual machinery of a saw mill with the latest improvements, which will be driven by a new 35-horse power engine, having a 45 horse power boiler.

Amherstburg Echo, December 5, 1885 p.6

During the year 1887, Green & Barber paid out in Kingsville, in cash, $5,374.65, and yet some people say these factories are no good to a village.

Amherstburg Echo, January 14, 1888 p.6

Green & Son have put into their factory a “blower” made by Curtis Joyce, of this village. The object of this is to carry away saw dust and shavings from all the machines in the entire mill and convey them to a building near the furnace to be used as fuel for running machinery in the factory.

Amherstburg Echo, April 6, 1888 p.6

Destructive Fire

G.W. Green & Son’s Saw Mill Consumed

Loss Over $2,000

On Tuesday morning at four o’clock, our citizens were aroused by the alarm of fire. The fire proved to be in Green’s saw mill, in rear of their large factory on Division St. When discovered the devouring element was under full head-way, and the roof had fallen in. The townspeople promptly responded to to (sic) the call and did what they could toward saving the lumber around the burning building, and in preventing the spread of the flames to the factory, a short distance away. There was a large pile of wood stacked between the two buildings, and a considerable portion of this had to be removed in order to clear a space between the mill and factory. The wood flew right and left for a time very lively, until danger from this direction was past, and then attention was turned to the fences and to the roof of the factory, which caught fire several times. and it was almost a miracle that the factory was saved from destruction. As we have no system of fire protection, all that could be done was to save what loose material there was in that yard, and keep the fire from spreading as much as possible.

The origin of the fire is a mystery. The mill had been running for a short time in the forenoon the day before, but as gas is used instead of wood for firing, and that was turned off at noon, it could not have caught from that source. There was only about $200 insurance on the mill and contents, which was valued at $2,500. The machinery is a total loss. Fortunately there was not much lumber in the yard, it having been shipped away some time since. There is in the yard probably 100,000 feet of logs, which will no doubt be cut at Smith’s mill.

Messrs. Green & Son will not rebuild this season, but will probably do so next season. We are pleased that it is their intention to rebuild, as the town can ill-afford to lose industries of this kind.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1893 p.1

G.W. Green & Son’s factory and mills have started and are running full blast.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 27, 1894 p.7

Green & Son’s factory will make 20,000 boxes for the canning factory this season.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1895 p.8

by

The Mettawas (part II)

No comments yet

Categories: Maps & Plans - 1900s, Tags: ,

As reported in the Detroit Free Press in 1889, “Messrs. Hiram Walker & Sons’ new hotel, the Mettawas, at Kingsville, Ont., opens July 10 . . . This new and delightful summer resort is beautifully situated on the lake shore, only thirty miles from Detroit, and presents the choice of complete retirement and rest or the occasional change afforded by its proximity to Detroit, with which there is connection by rail and steamer.” Construction of this 266-foot hotel (an additional 100 feet was added to the original design) was completed in four months. Although very popular with tourists and accommodating upwards of 250 guests, the Mettawas was not a successful business venture for the Walkers. Within a couple of years of Hiram Walker’s death in 1899, the family sold off all their Kingsville properties and business interests. Demolition of the Mettawas Hotel began in October 1903 and was completed in January 1904. The property was re-purchased by Dr. S.A. King in 1905.

1903 Fire Insurance Plan (revised to 1906)

Plans having been prepared, the erection of a casino for the hotel at the lake, the Mettawassa (sic), has begun. The casino will be a separate building, but convenient to guests and will contain extensive billiard parlors, a bowling alley, smoking, lounging and card rooms, on the first floor, and a grand ball room on the second floor. It will be 100 x 127 feet in size, two stories, and cost $15,000.

Amherstburg Echo, June 14, 1889 p.6

His Honor Judge Horne heard the appeal of the Mettawas Resort Co. against the decision of the Court of Revision on the assessment of their property in this town on Monday of last week. Mr. Coburn, of Walkerville, appeared for the company and Mr. Cowan for the town. Harry Walker took the stand and made the statement that the property was for sale at $25,000. The decision was reserved.

Amherstburg Echo, August 6, 1900 p.6

 Mettawas Closed

The Mettawas summer resort closed to all guests on Tuesday last, and as far as we can learn it has been a very satisfactory season for the proprietor as well as the guests. The house has been fairly well filled throughout the season, while many resorts have complained of poor business owing to the Pan-American. The golf links, than which there are no finer in Canada, have been no small attraction to lovers of this healthful game. The cuisine was excellent, better perhaps than it has ever been before, such is the verdict of those who have always patronized the resort since it started. The place has been conducted on the strictest business principles throughout, and we have yet to hear of any clash between the house and tradespeople or others having business with it. With the proprietor and his assistants, the manager, book keeper and steward, there has been an entire absence of that pomposity and importance which characterized the management in some former years, demonstrating that it is far easier to conduct any business on plain business principles than it is to assume a stilted, keep-off-the-grass style and antagonize all with whom you come in contact. There seems to have been no friction to speak of among the entire staff of help, and there has been less noise and racket emanating from that source than the town has enjoyed before. In fact no one seems to have anything but kindly sentiments to express about the resort and management for season of 1901. The new order of things inaugurated this year, will undoubtedly popularize The Mettawas with resorters generally making the name of Kingsville famous as a summer resort town.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1901 p.4

The tearing down of the Mettawas continues. All the shrubbery has been taken up and shipped to Walkerville, and the main part of the fine structure is already demolished.

Amherstburg Echo, November 27, 1903 p.1

New Hotel Started.

The management today started work on the new Mettawas hotel. It will be built on the old Mettawas. It is the intention to have the building enclosed before snow flies, so as to work on the interior in the winter and have all ready for next season’s business.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 2, 1913 p.4

Mettawas Hotel To Change Name To Lakeshore

The Mettawas Hotel announced this week that effective January 1, the name of the hotel will be changed to Lakeshore Hotel.

The change is being made, said the management, due to the inability of the average tourist to pronounce or remember the name “Mettawas.” It has been called everything from the “Minnie Ha Ha” to the “Usedtawas.” The new name “Lakeshore” will also inform prospective guests that the hotel is near the water.

The Mettawas has perhaps more colorful history than any hotel in Southern Ontario. It was first built by Hiram Walker in the seventies and was later torn down due to a disagreement over taxes with the council of that time. The present building was erected around 1910.

Many Kingsville old timers worked at the hotel in the early days and the stories they can tell would fill volumes.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 7, 1946 p.1

by

The Mettawas (part I)

No comments yet

Categories: Maps & Plans - 1880s, Maps & Plans - 1890s, Tags: ,

Lake Front of Proposed Hotel at Kingsville Ont.

As it was later written, “Hiram Walker, the whiskey magnate, deserves the credit for having made the cool breezes of the northern shore of Lake Erie more accessible to Detroiters during the summer months.” In February 1889, Walker purchased property on the south side of Park street, east of Division Street South for $3,000 from Dr. S.A. King. Detroit architects, Mason and Rice, were commissioned to design Walker’s ‘mammoth summer hotel’ as seen in this rendering illustrated by Albert Kahn, architect of the Kingsville railway station. Construction began in March under the supervision of Dr. S.A. King and by April, 150 men were working to complete the hotel for the summer season. As reported at the time of construction, “The estimated cost of building and furnishings will be $200,000.”

Plan No. 269 (1884)

On Part of Lot No. 1 in the Broken Front Concession, East of Division Road in the Township of Gosfield, The Property of Messrs King & Smart.

In 1884, the land south of Park Street and east of Division Street South was divided into 18 building lots, each with 66 foot frontage. It was these 18 lots that Hiram Walker purchased for his new hotel.

Big Strike in Gosfield South

Natural gas was struck, Wednesday, below Kingsville, at a depth of about 980 feet, and the roaring noise can be heard for a long distance. Great excitement prevails in consequence of the find. It is thought the pocket struck is inexhaustible, but the company will continue to go farther down.

Amherstburg Echo, January 25, 1889 p.4

Work has commenced on the new $50,000 hotel, on Monday. It is to be 266 feet long. About 20 Italians are at work excavating for the foundation. Large maple and elm trees are being planted in double rows on Lansdowne Avenue. Some of them taking four horses to move them.

Amherstburg Echo, March 22, 1889 p.5

Walker & Sons’ mammoth summer hotel is going ahead in rapid style, and an addition of 100 feet has been added to original plan. About 150 men are at work on this structure. The estimated cost of building and furnishings will be $200,000. Dr. S.A. King has the general supervision.

Amherstburg Echo, April 12, 1889 p.6

1 2 3