Tag Archives: King

by

Frank Herrington House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

 167 Division Street South

On April 17th, 1884, James H. Smart and Dr. Sidney A. King purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. They paid $4,000 for the 47 acres from Mill Street East to Lake Erie, Division Street South to Lansdowne Avenue. The 47 acres were divided into building lots and new streets were planned called Maple, Myrtle, Prospect, Erie and Park. On April 18th, 1884, John’s son Frank Herrington purchased 2 lots in the new King & Smart subdivision and built a frame house that summer. Perhaps Frank received a special deal, because his lots had a depth of 2.5 chains (165 feet) while all the other lots along Division were only 2 chains (132 feet). Frank sold this home the following year to John S. Middough for $800, and later owners were: Thomas Bruner, Reuben B. Perkins, Heenan Bruner and Peter Bussey.

Dr. King and J.H. Smart have purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. We believe it is the intention of these gentleman to lay the property out into building lots.

Amherstburg Echo,  April 25, 1884 p.6

Frank Herrington has sold his residence to Mr. [Middough]. He intends erecting a cottage on Mill Street, which will be more convenient for his farming.

Amherstburg Echo, August 14, 1885 p.6

NEW SUBDIVISION

Mr. W.J. Swallow on Monday evening last at the meeting of the town council, laid before the board, a roughsketch of a new town subdivision which he will shortly have surveyed and placed on the market. The plot is the Frank Herrington farm east side of Lansdowne Ave. There will be some 80 lots. Blue prints of the property will soon be prepared. The property is a valuable one and will give those desiring lots a chance to get one fairly close inside at very reasonable prices. The council accepted the plan and assured Mr. Swallow that they were in sympathy with the enterprise.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1922 p.1

Franklin Herrington

On Tuesday evening last, following a paralytic stroke of a few days previous, Franklin Herrington paased away in the 71st year of his age.

Mr. Herrington was born in the Kingsville on what was then the Herrington homestead at about the point where now stands the Mettawas Inn. He was the son of John and Sarah Herrington. He had followed farming all his life. Owing to the rapid expansion of Kingsville, the Herrington farm had been narrowed down to a few acres on Lansdowne avenue, which a few years ago was subdivided, leaving Mr. Herrington without a farm. Since then he and Mrs. Herrington have been living quietly at their home on Mill street east. He leaves a widow, one daughter, Mrs. Mervyn Swallow, Kingsville; on brother, Gordon, of Jacksonville, Fla., and one sister, Mrs. A.E. Malott, town.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 27, 1931 p.1

by

James W. King House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , , ,

86 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

James Workman King was the oldest child of Col. James King, after whom Kingsville was named. Born in Michigan in 1835, he came to Gosfield with his mother and father as an infant. He attended high school in Port Clinton, Ohio where he met his future wife, Harriet Smith. In 1881 James hired his father-in-law, Sylvester Smith, to oversee the construction of his new brick residence which was completed the following year. Local craftsmen who worked on the house included Messrs. Bruner, Davey and Brimner. James and Harriet had six children: Fannie, James, Angeline, Gertrude, Mabel and Abby and they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at this home in 1911. Harriet died in 1912 and James followed her two years later. The Kingsville Public School Board purchased this home from Angeline in 1921 to be used as a high school, but sold it a few months later to Albert Eastman, Manager of the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Railway.

The Passing of Mrs. James W. King

The many friends here of Mrs. Jas. W. King were greatly shocked to hear of her unexpected death at the residence of her daughter in Walkerville, on Friday, Sept. 6th. [. . .]

The deceased was lady of a singularly sweet and lovable disposition with a heart overflowing with warm affection for those in trouble or who needed a mother’s care. Her hospitable door was always open and she seemed never so happy as when her friends were enjoying with her the happiness of her home. For over fifty years she and beloved husband, now left to mourn her loss, lived an ideally happy married life.

Bereft in the evening of life of his life companion, our hearts go out in sympathy not only to the family but particularly to the husband whose loss is irreparable.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1912 p.1

The Late Jas. W. King

James Workman King, after an illness extending over nearly two years, passed away at his home here on June 9th last. Deceased, a couple of years ago, suffered a paralytic stroke, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. He was able to sit up and be taken around in a wheel chair and was only confined to his bed a few days before his demise.

Mr. King was a son of the late Col. King, and was born at White Pigeon, Mich., Nov. 10th, 1835. Col. King moved to this place when James was young, and formed the nucleus of what is now the town of Kingsville. [. . .] He was a man of sprightly disposition, loved the company of his fellows, and in latter years was an enthusiastic bowler, member fo the Kingsville Bowling Club, and during his illness, was frequently wheeled up the green where he could watch the game. He was a member of the church of England and a faithful attendant up to the time of his sudden illness.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 18, 1914 p.1

by

Plan of Kingsville (1850)

No comments yet

Categories: Maps & Plans - 1850s, Tags: , ,

Plan of the Town of Kingsville

as Surveyed and laid off by John A. Wilkinson, Deputy Surveyor

Sandwich 29th Jan’y 1850

To prepare for application for Kingsville to receive a post office, an official plan for the ‘town’ had to be surveyed. Division Line was the boundary between Andrew Stewart’s lot and Richard Herrington’s. Together with Col. James King, Stewart and Herrington laid out building lots from Mill Street north to Water Street and Prince Albert Street east to Spruce Street.

Except for the northeast corner of Pearl Street and Division Street South, all the building lots on Division Street South faced Main Street, Pearl Street and Mill Street.

The lots were measured using ‘chain’ and ‘link’ units. One ‘chain’ equals 66 feet and one ‘link’ is .66 feet. Main and Division streets are a full one chain in width while the side streets are .75 chain (or 75 links or 49.5 feet).  Most of the building lots were 1.25 by 2 chains (82.5 by 132 feet).

According to the plan, the lots were marked with “stone & c” which stands for “stone and crockery.” As described in 1891’s A Manual of Land Surveying by F. Hodgman and C.F.R. Bellows:

If a rough stone or boulder is used for a monument, it should either be so large as not to be moved by any ordinary accident or so firmly imbedded in the earth as to defy the plow or the road maker. If of a kind common in the vicinity, it should be very plainly marked and have some foreign material like brick, iron, glass, or crockery imbedded around it, to identify it by.

1 2 3