Tag Archives: Kratz/Scratch


John Lampman House (1888)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

104 Division Street South

Lumber dealer, Elihu Scratch, built a residence on Division Street South in 1887. The following year, Scratch built this home on the south portion of his property and it was referred to as the “Store House.” In 1889, the home was purchased by Colin and Mary McDonald, who had been living on the McDonald family farm west of Kingsville. While living on Division Street South, Colin was a “teamster” and kept two horses for delivering wood and moving small buildings. Colin and his family moved back to the McDonald farm in 1897 when his widowed mother became ill. The house was rented out, first to George Pearse and later to John and Melissa Lampman, who bought the property in 1906. John was a ‘jockey,’ making deliveries from Elihu Scratch’s wood and coal yard. Melissa died in 1913, John in 1927 and the home was inherited by George Lampman, their only child. George lived in Kincardine and used this house as a rental property, selling it in 1938 to Delbert Quick who also used it as an income property, referring to it as the “North House.”

On Wednesday next, March 1st, from 5 to 8 o’clock, the Baptist Ladies’ Aid will hold a 15¢ tea and apron sale at the home of Mrs. Lampman Division st. Everybody welcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 23, 1911 p.5

FOR SALE. One corn crib, one lumber wagon, one top buggy, one hay rack, one set of bobsleighs. Write GEO. LAMPMAN, Kincardine or call on JOHN LAMPMAN, Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.5

Mr. George Lampman and his son, of Kincardine, were in town on Monday last. Mr. Lampman is an old Kingville boy, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Lampman whose home was on Division street, next to the Del. Quick residence. Mr. Lampman is in the mercantile business in Kincardine, and has been doing a propserous business there for some years.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 16, 1937 p.5


Elihu Scratch House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags:

98 Division Street South

Elihu Scratch, the youngest son of Leonard and Sophia Scratch, was born in 1852 on the family farm on the lakefront near Arner. When he married Ellen Snyder in 1874, the young couple remained on the farm with Leonard and Sophia for 13 years. In February 1887, Elihu purchased property on Division Street South and built this home a few months later. The following year, Elihu purchased a lumber business from local builder Thomas Drake, who was moving to Iowa. Elihu travelled to Georgian Bay to order and import 200,000 feet of pine lumber, lath and shingles during the summer of 1888. Eventually expanding his business, Elihu had a lane created to the north of his house to access his “Coal & Wood Yard” in his backyard. In addition to his various business interests, Elihu also served his community as trustee, councillor, reeve and mayor. Elihu and Ellen were married for 56 years and had three children: Helen, Josephine and Leonard J. After Ellen’s death in 1931 and Elihu’s in 1933, oldest daughter Helen (Nellie) Hackett inherited this home.

The wife of Elihu Scratch gave birth to a daughter a month ago. The couple have been married for ten years and this is their first-born.

Amherstburg Echo, October 3, 1884 p.1

Twenty five years ago Mr. Elihu Scratch took a young German boy, named Wilmer Shipe to raise. The lad remained with him for five years, and then thought he would strike out for himself. Last evening a gentleman called on Mr. Scratch and on making himself known, proved to be the boy of twenty years ago. He is now a well-to-do business man in Denver Colorada (sic).

The Kingsville Reporter, December 29, 1898 p.5

Pretty June Wedding

An event of considerable local importance, on account of the prominence of the contracting parties in South Essex, took place yesterday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Elihu Scratch, when their daughter, Josephine Margaret, was united in marriage to Dr. Robert Foster, of Detroit, formerly of Harrow. The relatives and a few friends witnessed the ceremony, which was performed by the Rev. W.H. Ebersole at five o’clock. The bride was attired in Duchess satin made in simple lines, with Irish point lace and pearl trimmings. A veil of Tulle was held to the coiffure with lilies of the valley and she carried a bouquet of bridal roses. She was attended by Miss Anna Foster, sister of the groom, who was attired in a satin gown, of apricot shade and carried pink roses. Hazen Schultz, of Detroit, attired in white, acted as ring bearer. Mr. Leonard Scratch, brother of the bride, supported the groom. The floral decorations in the home were carnations, smilax, roses and other flowers.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1912 p.4


Howard R. Kratz House (1886)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , ,

164 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In 1884, local tinsmith Howard Ryerson Kratz (Scratch) purchased two lots on Division Street South, at the corner of Stewart Street, from Lucinda Stewart for $200. Two years later, Howard had this 2-storey brick house built using local masons Newell and Lewis Woodiwiss. The home was completed in time for Howard’s marriage to Mary (Minnie) Woodbridge in the spring of 1887. Unfortunately for the newlyweds, it was announced in 1888 that “the route of the railway through this village has been finally located, the southern survey having been adopted, which will cause the road to run through the centre of Stewart Street. It will be midway between the business part of the village and the harbor.” Despite the train tracks, Howard and Minnie stayed in this home until 1906 and raised five children: Ray, Faith, Hattie, Edith and Etta. In addition to tinsmithing, Howard also owned a hardware store and manufactured bicycles, including the “Mettawas Cycle,” which cost $35.00 in 1897 – $2.00 extra for the “Ladies” model.

Later owners of this home include Gordon P. & Nellie Fox, George T. Hardie and Father Frederick Williams, a retired Catholic priest from Sudbury.


It is said that death loves a shining mark, and the axiom was never more self-evident in this neighborhood than in the death of Mary Woodbridge, beloved wife of Howard R. Kratz, on Saturday morning last [. . .]

 Let us if possible, gather up the elements of the life of the departed and weave of them a picture for the walls of memory. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Woodbridge; was born on the home place and when a young girl of ten or eleven, she sought and found the pearl of great price, and made it chief among the jewels of her youthful hopes. The intervening years have been filled with loving deeds and untiring sevice for the master, and today her husband and family rise up and call her blessed, for upon the white canvas of her life she drew no uncertain lines which needed to be erased. Her path was marked with deeds of kindness and cheer. Flowers, not thorns; sunshine, not shadow, did she scatter everywhere, and with these she was lavish. Truth was the inspiration of her life and by kindness she exemplified its great worth. [. . .]

On April 19, 1887, deceased was united in marriage with Howard R. Kratz. To the union were born one son, Ray (deceased), and four daughter, Miss Faith, of Detroit; Hattie, Mrs. David Clark, Kingsville; Edith, Mrs. (Dr.) Mills, Fenelon Falls, Ont., and Etta, Mrs. Byron Eichoitz, Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 8, 1931 p.1

Howard R. Kratz Passes in 91st Year

Funeral services for the late Howard Ryerson Kratz, who died in his 91st year at the home of his daughter, Miss Faith Kratz, on Sunday were held from the Crawford and Son Funeral Home on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. J.T. Flemming officiating. Interment took place in Greenhill Cemetery.

Deceased was born in Gosfield South and had lived all his life in Essex County.

Survivors are four daughters, Miss Faith Kratz and Mrs. David Clarke of Kingsville; Mrs. Maurice Mills of Fenelon Falls and Mrs. Stewart Graham of Detroit; and one brother Stafford Kratz also of Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1949 p.1

1 2