Tag Archives: Malott


Albert & Hannah Malott House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

231 Division Street South

Albert (son of Capt. William J. Malott) married Hannah (daughter of John Herrington) in 1887 and they built a home (which no longer stands) on the corner of Division Street South and Erie Street the following year. Following in his father’s footsteps, Albert was a “wharfinger” and later became the lighthouse keeper for Kingsville. In 1900, Albert and Hannah purchased a vacant lot on the corner of Division Street South and Prospect for $125 and built a cottage in a style that was popular at the time. Two years later, the Malotts moved to Mill Street West and Albert pursued a career in carpentry. Later owners include George Henry and Martha Grenville. When Albert Lainchbury purchased the home in 1914, he hired the Oxley Brothers to convert the cottage into a two-storey house, and the “large veranda” was added in 1916.

Our Growing Time

Fifty Thousand Dollars Worth Of Residences Being Built

To give some idea of the building operations in Kingsville, for this year, we have interviewed the various contractors, and the following are the various contracts which they have underway [. . .]

Oxley Bros., Contractors [. . .]

Mr. Lainchbury, Division st. south, making cottage into two story house, $1,000

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.1

Mr. Lainchbury is making a very great improvement to his home on Division St. south, by adding on the north and west sides a large veranda. One would scarcely credit what an addition it makes in the appearance of the house.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 21, 1916 p.5

On Christmas day, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Lainchbury was the scene of a very pretty wedding, when their youngest daughter, Florence, was united in marriage to Dr. Ardell P. Morris, of Toronto, son of Dr. and Mrs. Morris, of Mt. Elgin.

At high noon, the bride entered the drawing room on the arm of her father to the strains of Lohengrin’s wedding march, played by her cousin, Miss Fern Jeffery, who was prettily dressed in green satin. The bride was attired in a beautiful gown of flesh color crepe de chene with pearl trimming, wearing a veil caught by orange blossoms and carrying a bridal boquet [sic] of roses and valley lilies. The Rev. J.E.J. Millyard officiated. The only attendant was Baby Jean, niece of the bride, wearing a pretty little dress of pale blue crepe de chine and carrying the ring in a basket of freesias. After congratualtions, the guests retired to the dining room, where a delicious wedding repast was served by Misses Eula Wigle, attired in white silk, and Madeline Bennett, dressed in pink silk, both wearing a corsage boquet [sic]. Many beautiful and useful presents were received, among them being handsome cheques from the fathers of the bride and groom.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 26, 1918 p.1


Parchment Deeds From the Crown 108 Years Ago

Mr. Albert Malott laid on our table yesterday some ancient documents in the form of title deeds from the Crown, which were in the possession of his father-in-law, the late Mr. John Herrington. While somewhat greyed with age they are in a good state of preservation and the print and signatures to the deeds are distinct and perfectly legible. The deed is of parchment and was made to John Tofflemire on the 21st of February, 1824, a part of which lot is now occupied by the town park; the other was a grant to John Wigle of 200 acres, being lot No. 3 in the Second Concession, West Division, Gosfield South.

The transfer was given under the great seal of the Province of Upper Canada and D. Cameron was registrar at the time. The “great seal” was indeed “great.” It measured 4 1/2 incles across and was 1/4 of an inch thick. It was made of wax – probably a mixture of beeswax and resin – and either side was covered with paper and the seal had been placed in the press containing the dies and stamped. The design on the stamp in the center was a wreath through which were an anchor and a sword crossed; at the bottom of this design are two cornucopias (horns of plenty) and the whole is surmounted by the British crown. Lettering around the outer edge of the seal is not legible. The reverse side is stamped with the British Coat-of-Arms, and also lettered at the outer edge. The seal is fastened to the document with a piece of linen tape pressed in the wax and attached to the parchment in such a way that the seal sould not be detached without cutting the tape, tearing the parchment or destroying the seal.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 21, 1932 p.5


Maple Leaf Laundry (1898)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags:

194 Division Street South

Arthur Malott’s 1896 ad read:
Maple Leaf Laundry / The undersigned begs leave to inform the public that he has lately engaged in the laundry business, and hopes by careful attention to same to merit the public patronage. / Arthur Malott, South Division St., Kingsville. Goods called for and delivered.” With his wife Fannie and their three daughters, Arthur purchased a house across the street from his brother John in 1894, and opened Maple Leaf Laundry two years later. Unfortunately, fire broke out in the laundry in July of 1898, but the “contents of the dwelling and all the laundry machinery together with the goods belonging to customers were saved complete.” As the house was being rebuilt, the laundry service was moved to 68 Division Street South. Malott and family continued the business until they sold out in 1905 to the “Chinese laundry.” When the Malotts moved to Windsor in 1906, they sold the property to John and Orilla Black who remained in this home until 1933.

Mr and Mrs Arthur Malott and family desire to express their sincere gratitude to their many friends who so nobly assisted them in saving their household effects at the recent fire. Where all were so kind it is hard to designate any in particular. But the firemen seem especially to be thanked for without them all would have been destroyed.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 21, 1898 p.5



The business has been established about four years as above, and during the last two years it has increased in capacity more than a third of what it was previous to that. Two outside laundries that had agencies here have withdrawn so that the Maple Leaf now has the entire field. It has a very large list of regular customers every week and doing the summer season it does all the starched work for the Mettawas summer resort, which largely increased its volume of business. Work is called for and delivered to any part of the town. It has also a subagency at each of the barber shops for the accommodation of out of town customers and for those who wish to leave parcels during the week. Commercial work and short order work is a specialty with this institution. In short, it is the endeavor of the proprietor to fully overtake all the work expected of such an institution, and so far has succeeded beyond his expectations.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 23, 1899 (Supplement)

Arthur Malott has sold his laundry business to the chinamen in town. History repeats itself. When the Mongol comes the white man moves on.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 13, 1905 p.5

Some boys have been annoying our Chinese laundrymen again, and still the authorities take no notice of the outrage. If the Ch**** would secure a rawhide and administer a good sound drubbing to the little reprobate, it might have a tendency to stop their pranks.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 7, 1905 p.5


John Malott House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

189 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In the spring of 1888, John Malott (son of “wharfinger” Capt. William J. Malott) decided to stop farming and go into “the pound fishing business.” With his wife Nora (Black) and infant daughter Ada, John moved from Pearl Street West to this home built for Robert Fleming in 1887. Robert moved to John’s house to be closer to his carriage business, and John moved closer to his pound nets in Lake Erie. By 1895, John had a second daughter (Christina) and changed occupations again, advertising as “John Malott, Baker & Confectioner.” Three years later, John sold his home and moved his family to Detroit where he became a carpenter and house builder. The next owner was William A. Smith, a local businessman and lawyer, who eventually became Town Clerk, Mayor of Kingsville (1910 to 1911), Reeve of Gosfield North (1913) and County Magistrate. Smith and his wife Evelyn had two sons: Austin, lawyer and M.P.P. for Essex South (1929-1934) and Lyndon, Rhodes Scholar and Anglican Minister in Toronto.

Other owners of this home include Charles (Robert) Gascoyne & Amelia Gascoyne and Orville (Leroy) & Olive Laramie.

R. Fleming having purchased a lot on Division street, is having the foundation of a very tasty house erected thereon.

Amherstburg Echo, September 23, 1887 p.6

Robert Fleming took advantage of the Queen’s Birthday, to commemorate the event by moving into his new house lately bought of John Malott, on Pearl street, west.

John Malott having sold his late residence on Pearl street west, has moved into the new building on Division street which he purchased from Robt. Fleming.

Amherstburg Echo, June 8, 1888 p.6

Mayor Smith and Ex-Mayor Wigle were in Chatham this week. It was generally remarked that Ex-Mayor Wigle looked fine in his new hat.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1911 p.5

While ex-Mayor Wigle’s new hat has been so much admired and has been drawing so much of the attention of others, Webb wishes to announce that the ex-Mayor’s hat was bought at his gents’ furnishing store where all good goods are for sale at right prices. Some think if Mayor Smith would turn down his pantaloons and wear a hat just like that of ex-Mayor Wigle’s the citizens of the town would think their white haired boy had developed into a man.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1911 p.5

Important Real Estate Deals

Mr. Sam Scratch put through several real estate deals last week, the first of which was trading his Duplex Appartment (sic) in Windsor, to Leroy Laramie for Mr. Laramie’s farm on the Ninth Concession, of Gosfield North. He then sold Mr. Laramie the Robert Gascoyne home on Division street south, Kingsville. He then sold the Laramie farm to his son-in-law, Earl Ryall of Olinda.

The business was all wound up in Windsor and there were no written agreements on any of the deals – something that the legal firm had never seen before, leading them to remark, that there were still men living who regarded their word equal to their bond.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1929 p.1


Norman P. Lockwood House (1880)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: ,

77 Division Street South

In 1880, bailiff George Malott built a 1 & 1\2-storey building on the southeast corner of Pearl and Division streets to be used by the Kingsville Cavalry Troop as an armoury. The building was purchased in 1888 by D.H. Terry and remodelled into a photography studio. Other photographers to use this building were F.R. Luckham, F.G. Westlake and G.N. Arnold. By 1903, the building was no longer used as a photo gallery and was rented by Theodore Kittle for his shoe shop. The following year, the property was sold to Forest Malott (George’s son) and Curtis Green purchased the building. In April 1904, Green moved to the building to its present location (at 77 Division Street South) and it became the Chamberlain Metal Weather Strip factory. When Green built a new factory on the corner of Maple and Lansdowne in 1921, he sold this property to Norman P. Lockwood, President of Hodge Tobacco Company, who converted the building into a private residence.

15 Aug 1921 DEED from Curtis J. Green to Norman P. Lockwood:

Together with the right to use as a private road a strip of land four feet wide adjoining said land on the north side

This conveyance is subject to the following building conditions:

1. No building other than a dwelling house and private garage which when erected shall be of a value of $5000, or more shall be erected on said land at any time

2. The work of erecting such building shall be commenced within 12 months

RESERVING to the grantor the right to leave his building now upon the said land in its present position until the first day of October 1921 after which date he covenants to remove it upon receiving 30 days’ notice from grantee so to do.