Thomas J. Salmoni moved from Amherstburg to Kingsville in 1896 and purchased the grocery business of W.H. Nelson. At the time, he was described as having “energy and push combined
with years of experience” that would “ensure him a good share of public patronage.” T.J. operated his grocery store for 57 years in the Grenville Block (south side of Main St. W.), which he purchased in 1906, and he built a warehouse on the corner of Main and Chestnut in 1918. Salmoni and his family lived at 68 Division Street South from 1903 until 1919 and the following year they moved into their newly-built brick home. In addition to his successful business, T.J. was also a member of Town Council, Chairman of the High School Board and Mayor of Kingsville for four years.
Ex-Mayor Salmoni’s new home begins to assume tangible shape. It gives every promise of being the finest home ever erected in town. Oxley Bros., the contractors, are pushing along the frame work at a rapid pace. Woodiwiss Bros. are doing the mason and brick work.
The Kingsville Reporter, September 4, 1919 p.5
Salmoni is moving into his new home on Division street this week. He has just had completed a cement driveway to his garage which is the finest in town.
The Kingsville Reporter, October 28, 1920 p.5
Pioneer Merchant Passes at 85
Funeral services for the late Thomas John Salmoni, 85, who passed away at his late residence on Wednesday, following a few months illness, will be held from the Ferguson Funeral Home on Friday, 2:30 p.m. with Rev. J. T. P. Nichols officiating, interment Greenhill Cemetery.
Deceased was born in Amherstburg, September 15th, 1869, son of the late Mark and Jennie Salmoni. He came to Kingsville in 1895 and opened the busines (sic) known as T.J. Salmoni and Sons.
He was prominent in the life of the community having served as Chairman of the High School Board, a member of the Town Council in 1916 and Mayor in 1917 and 1918 and re-elected in 1921 and 1922. In 1923 and 1924 he was re-elected councillor. It was during his term of office that the original Kingsville High School was built and the town saw paved streets and sewerage.
He was a member of the Epworth United Church, having served as treasurer for 25 years and an elder for 25 years.
He was a member of St. George’s Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 41, Kingsville. For over 60 years he was a member of the Masonic Order having received his 60-year jewel in 1952. When 50 years a Mason, he was conferred the degree of Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario. He was also Past Master of Thistle Masonic Lodge in Amherstburg.
Ill health forced his retirement from business life last May.
Surviving are his wife, formerly Edna Royce of Guelph; two daughters, Helen (Mrs. E.H. Riggs) of London; Jean (Mrs. G.W. Trevethick) St. Thomas; two sons, Mark and Reford Salmoni of Kingsville; seven grandchildren, and one brother Frank of Detroit.
The Kingsville Reporter, February 4, 1954 p.1
Crawford & Son Funeral Home is Sold
The Crawford & Son Funeral Home and undertaking business has been sold to John Ferguson of London, who will take possession in a few weeks.
Well over half a century ago Richard Gregory owned and operated a fine furniture store and funeral business on the vacant lot north of where Everton Bertrand’s shop now stands. Robert Healey worked with mr. Gregory for over 10 years. Fire destroyed this building and Mr. Gregory retired.
In 1905, Mr. Healey and Fred Crawford joined partnership and opened a furniture store and funeral business where Kenneth Rae now has his hardware business. In 1906 they moved into the building which is still occupied by Fred Crawford & Son Furniture and House Furnishings.
In September 1945, Mr. Healey retired and since that time the business has been carried on by Fred Crawford and son, Don. Ill health forced Mr. Crawford to retire some months ago.
The Kingsville Reporter, March 29, 1951 p.1
The Purchase of the
JOHN B. FERGUSON FUNERAL HOME
AS OF SEPTEMBER 22
The Business in Future Will Be Know As
Ferguson – Sykes Funeral Home
91 Division St. S.
The Kingsville Reporter, October 5, 1972 p.3