Tag Archives: Webb


Dr. C.C. & Elieva Vardon House (1923)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: , ,

198198 Division Street South

When John Henry Clark and his wife Rachel sold their farm and moved to Kingsville in 1913, it wasn’t for retirement. J.H. had lived in (Brighton) Ontario, Michigan and (Reno) Nevada before taking up farming in Gosfield South in the early 1900s. In addition to farming, J.H. also ran a series of stores in Kingsville, Arner and Olinda. But in 1913, Clark’s newest business venture was real estate development, and by the end of the year he had built five houses in Kingsville and purchased two more. So when Rachel’s brother, Dr. Colin Campbell Vardon, and his wife moved from Newberry, Michigan to Detroit and were looking for a summer home, they had J.H. build this cottage on Division Street South for them in 1923.

J.H. Clark has rented the last house he built on Mill St. West to Robt. Green who will occupy it in a few days. Mr. Clark is having the foundations put in for a couple of new houses on Pearl St. [24 and 28 Pearl St. W.] on the back of the hotel Exchange lot, which he purchased last spring, and has purchased the lot just west of Robt. Conklin’s residence and is tearing down the old building on it preparatory to ercting [sic] another house [42 Pearl St. W.]. This one is rented before it is started. This will make five new houses for Mr. Clark this season. The other two that he bought will make him the owner of seven houses when they are all completed.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 24, 1913, p.5

Mr and Mrs Colin Vardon of Newberry, Mich., and Mr. Geo. Vardon of Detroit, were visiting with Mr and Mrs J.H. Clark, Mill street west, over the week-end. The Messrs. Vardon are brother of Mrs. Clark.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 25, 1920 p.5

Dr. Vardon of Detroit has purchased a lot off the north side of the W.M. Webb property, Division St. south and has let the contract to J.H. Clark for the erection of a fine new residence, which will be gotten under way as soon as the weather permits.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 5, 1923 p.5


John Henry Clark died quite suddenly Monday afternoon last at his rooms at Glen Miner’s, Division Street south, in the 80th year of his age.

Deceased was born near Brighton, and grew to manhood there. He followed farming and later kept store. He moved to Michigan for a few years, then went to Reno, Nevada, where he spent some six years, when he returned east to Windsor. After three years in Windsor, www.wutransfers.com Mr. Clark bought the “Letter K” farm in Gosfield South, and followed farming until 1905, when he sold out and bought a farm on the Section Road. Some time after this he bought out the store business of the late Alfred Allworth, Kingsville, in 1908, which he later sold and then bought out the general store of Cooper Greaves, at Arner. Three years later he sold out and bought the Olinda store business. One year later he traded this business to Mr. William Setterington for his farm. In 1913, he sold out and moved to Kingsville, where he has lived ever since.

He had been twice married, his first wife being Elma Clark, of Brighton, by whom he had one son, Herald, of Gosfield South. His second wife was Mrs. Rachel Vardon, of Pickering, who died here eight years ago, leaving one daughter, now Mrs. Roy H. Scratch.

Deceased leaves one brother, Walter H. Clark, of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 5, 1935 p.1


Russell H. & Ethel Pickard House (1911)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

31 Division Street South

Russell Howard Pickard, a graduate of the Ontario College of Pharmacy, moved to Kingsville in 1907 and purchased the Corner Drug Store from William Warner. Three years later, R.H. married Ethel, the middle daughter of Darius and Ellen Wigle. In 1911, it was announced that “Ex-Mayor Wigle has commenced operations on a new house for his daughter, Mrs. R.H. Pickard, on the corner of Pearl and Division streets [. . .] Wm Davey & Son are doing the brick work.” In addition to operating the Corner Drug Store in Kingsville for over twenty years, R.H. also owned “Pickard’s Drug and Dollar” stores in Windsor and Walkerville. R.H. and Ethel had one daughter, Pauline, who married Patrick O’Heron, managing director of the Pickard 5¢ to $1.00 Stores in Windsor. Pauline and Pat lived in this home and in 1962, O’Heron purchased the business of Webb & Co. and it was renamed “Pat O’Heron, Clothier.”

Another Change

Owing to overwork and close attention to business, Mr. Warner of the corner drug store, had begun to fail in health, and as a consequence he decided to sell out and take a few months’ rest. His successor is Mr. R.H. Pickard, a graduate of the Ontario College of Pharmacy. Mr. Pickard spent some four years at the business in Toronto, but for the past year has been with Mr. Stillman, druggist of Essex. He comes highly recommended. While sorry to see Mr. Warner leave town, we are glad he has sold to a man who will make a worthy successor. Mr. C.S. Miller will remain with Mr. Pickard for some time.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 11, 1907 p.4

Change of Business

I wish to announce to the people of Kingsville and surrounding country that having purchased The Corner Drug Store from Wm. Warner, conducted for years by Mr. Miller, we will endeavor by close attention to business courteous treatment to both old and young, and with our complete stock of drugs, drug sundries, patents, stationery (sic), school books, fancy china, etc., hope to secure the hearty support and liberal patronage given to my predecessors.

Our prescription department will be in charge of a qualified dispenser, and by handling nothing but the best of drugs, we will be in a position to dispense your prescriptions to the satisfaction of yourself and your physician. Mr. Miller has kindly consented to remain with me.

R.H. Pickard,


The Kingsville Reporter, April 18, 1907 p.5

H.C. Layman Purchased the Building Occupied by Royal Bank

A short time since H.C. Layman druggist, purchased the brick block, south side of Main street west [15 Main Street West], from the Dr. Wigle estate. With the purchase of the Wigle block at the corner of Main and Division streets by R.H. Pickard and W.M. Webb, all the real estate holdings of the late Dr. and Mrs. Andrew Wigle are disposed of and the places are in the hands of Kingsville business men.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 29, 1927 p.1

Pat O’Heron Purchases Webb and Company Firm

One of Kingsville’s oldest business establishments changed hands as of January 1st when Pat O’Heron purchased the Webb & Company business. The firm will be known in future as Pat O’Heron, Clothier.

Mr. O’Heron is well known in Kingsville, having resided here for 21 years. He has been in the retailing business for the past 16 years, and is managing director of the Pickard 5c to $1.00 Stores in Windsor.

“Pat” as he is popularly locally known was a radar technician with the R.C.A.F. for five years, two of them overseas, during the last war. He is the clerk of the session of Epworth United Church and with Mrs. O’Heron enjoy twin daughters.

The original firm of Webb & Company was established in Kingsville in 1909 by F.R. Webb, father of the late Morton Webb who combined the business for a number of years under the name of Webb and Hendershot. Changing the firm name back in the early 1920’s to Webb & Company, the late Morton Webb eventually sold his interest in the firm to his son-in-law, Hugh Secord, who has operated the business since 1946.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1962 p.1


Elgerton Hutchins House (1889)

1 comment

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

202 Division Street South

In the summer of 1889, local mill owners G.W. Green & Son decided to build a group of houses to be used as employee rental units. The eight small cottages constructed on Myrtle Street became known as “Green Row.” But in later years, some of these homes were moved to other locations around Kingsville. One house was relocated to the corner of Stanley Street and Division Street South on a lot owned by the Ontario Permanent Loan and Building Company. George Pearse, Town Treasurer, purchased the lot and house in 1904 for $750 and lived there until 1915. Later owners were Freeman Wright and William Morton Webb. Mayor Webb sold this home in 1924 to Elgerton Hutchins, a farmer from Olinda, who built a small grocery store on the south part of his lot. For the first few years, the shop was run by Lyle Flanders, Orley Rumble and William Valentine until it was purchased by Glenford Wigle, husband of Elgerton’s daughter Marion, in 1937.

Mr. Hutchins, who recently purchased the Webb property west side of Division St. South is erecting a small store building on the corner of Division Stanley, which he will equip for the summer trade.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 15, 1924 p.5

Miss Marion Hutchins hwo (sic) passed with honors her Toronto Conservatory of Music A.T.C.M. (teacher’s course) of Piano last June, will accept a limited number of pupils at Studio, Division St. South. For appointment phone 356.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 27, 1927 p.4

Armed Robbery Monday at Wigle Grocery Store

Shortly after 7 o’clock Monday evening, two men, one armed, held up the Wigle Grocery Store, 204 Division St. South, and made off with a comparatively small amount of money.

Chief of Police Charles Adam states that the men ordered a clerk, Mrs. Mildred Cowan, to lie on the floor. While one held a gun pointed at www.wupoint.com her, the other man scooped out the bills from the cash register. They did not bother with the silver.

Mrs. Glenford Wigle entered the store by a back door when the robbery was in progress and was told to “stay where you are”.

The men wore women’s scarves over the lower part of the their faces. A slight description states that they were probably in their late teens or early twenties.

As far as is known, this is the first armed robbery of a business establishment in the town in over 35 years.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 23, 1975 p.1