Tag Archives: Westcott

by

R.B. Samuel House (1921)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: ,

125125 Division Street South

Molsons Bank was incorporated in Montreal in 1855 by William and John Molson Jr., sons of John Molson, founder of the Molson Brewing Company. A branch of Molsons Bank was opened in Kingsville in 1899 when it absorbed Fraser Westcott’s private bank. In 1901, the bank moved to the newly constructed Conklin building on the the south-east corner of Division and Main and purchased Bon Jasperson’s bank in 1907. R.B. Samuel moved from Alvinston, Ontario to Kingsville in 1916 to become the new manager of Molsons Bank, and he built this home on Division Street South in 1921. When Bank of Montreal and Molsons Bank merged in 1925, Samuel became the manager of the Kingsville branch of the Bank of Montreal and held that position until his retirement in 1934.

Mr. H.P. Dunbar Evans who has been manager of the Molsons Bank here during the past eight years has received notice that he is to be transferred to Ridgetown. He expects to leave here about Sept 1st. Mr. R. B. Samuel of the Molsons Bank, Alvinston will be the new manager here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 10, 1916 p.5

Alvinston Man Gets Several New Goats

R.B. Samuel, manager of the Molsons Bank, and a great fancier of goats, Friday received four more new animals. These goats are a small type, being raised down in Virginia. They are a brownish color. These new beasts now make up the flock of seven which are to be seen in the pasture. The older lot are a Swiss breed. Mr. Samuel’s fold is the only one of its kind in this district.

Mr. Samuels is to be the new manager of the Molsons Bank here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1916 p.1

The pretty bungalow which Mr. Samuel had built for himself during the past season, was one of his own designing, and is said to be about perfect for convenience and comfort.

The Kingsville Reporter, 20 Oct 1921, p.5

BANK OF MONTREAL AND MOLSONS MERGE

The last of Canada’s “family” banks is to disappear in the taking over the Molsons Bank by the Bank of Montreal. Announced in an official statement at Montreal today. The Molsons Bank, founded in Montreal over 70 years ago, has been in the hands of the commercial and financial family group of that name since then.

The merger is subject to the satisfaction of shareholders of both institutions.

If the merger goes through it is not known yet how it will affect the local branch here.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 30, 1924 p.5

CAPABLE BANK OFFICIAL RETIRES

On January 1st of this year, Mr. R.B. Samuel, who has been manager of the Bank of Montreal (formerly Molsons Bank) for the past 17 years, was retired on pension.

No more capable bank official could be found than Mr. Samuel, and it is with feelings of regret that the business men of the town, as well as the farming community, see him retire from the bank. He had been in the banking business for more than 40 years, and was held in the highest esteem by the head office as an extremely careful manager. He was always kind and condierate witht he bank’s patrons, as well as with the local staff, and at the same time, firm in his decisions where there might be any doubt in a banking transaction.

He and his wife and daughter, Miss Mary, will continue to reside here in their pretty home on Division Street south.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1934 p.4

by

The Alexandra Cottage (1902)

1 comment

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

235 Division Street South

The Alexandra Cottage was the second cottage built by D.H. McCay and G.W. Mercer for George W. Henry in 1902. Used as a rental property until 1912 when it was purchased by Brayton “Bert” Westcott and his wife Inez. Before moving to Kingsville, Bert was a “wholesale and retail dealer in wines, liquors and cigars” in Leamington, and also carried “the finest lines of port and sherry wines and malt stout for medicinal purposes.” After selling his shop to F.W. DeLaurier, Bert settled in Kingsville to become a full time sales agent for the Walkerville Brewery. Leamington not only lost their liquor dealer who provided “personal supervision” to all orders, but also their famed baseball pitcher, who was “the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom.”

Mrs. G.W. Henry and Mrs. Fowler entertained some eighty of their friends to a Hallowe’en party last evening at Alexandra cottage. The cottage was very tastefully decorated for the occasion. The evening was spent with Hallowe’en games, participated in by both old and young, at the close of which a very sumptuous repast was provided. Everyone went away happy and only feeling sorry that Hallowe’en, accompanied by such an entertainment provided, did not occur oftener. The young ladies were dressed in antiquated costumes, which created considerable merriment. The electrician had the electric lights arranged in very artistic style for the occasion.

The Windsor Evening Record, November 3, 1902 p.3

The old hilarious game of baseball seems to have lost something of the fire and brimstone that old-time conflicts used to fan. ‘Member them games played between the old Ruthven Invincibles and Leamington, when Ruthven, always just a little too hefty, used to drub us. ‘Member when the mighty Bert Westcott came to town, heralded as the pitcher to beat the Ruthven farmers back to their ploughshares? Mr. Westcott was the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom. As I recall it, this new article was something superb. We kids all sought to emulate the gymnastic, much to the risk of bones. It was a sort of a super-contortion, which in process gave the spectator a perfect idea of the evolution of a pretsel (sic). ‘Member the first ball delivered to the late George Orton, mighty slugger of the old Invincibles? Well, our pitcher unwound himself and catapulted the ball. There resounded two sharp snaps, one when George clipped the hissing sphere, and another when the rebounding bullet smacked Bert square on the nose. That ended the game. Darn them Ruthven farmers! After that smack it always struck us that Bert’s nose seemed sort o’ drawin’ back, like as if forever apprehensive of flying missiles.

The Leamington Post, June 22, 1933 p.2

B.G. Westcott Passes Away in Leam. Hospital

Funeral services for the late Brayton Graham (Bert) Westcott 83 years; who died in Leamington District Memorial Hospital on Sunday following a short illness was held from the Ferguson Funeral Home in Kingsville on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. F.M. Ward officiating. Interment was in Lakeview cemetery, Leamington.

Deceased was born at Wapoose Island, Ont., son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Westoctt. He was educated in Dresden. Later the family moved to Leamington and in 1910 came to Kingsville. He was employed in the Sales Dept. of the Walkerville Brewery for 50 years.

Mrs. Westcott predeceased her husband 13 years ago.

He was a member of St. Georges Lodge A.F. and A.M. No. 41 Kingsville, and of the Mocha Shrine Lodge in London.

Surviving is one son, William of Birmingham, Mich., three grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 16, 1953 p.1

by

James F. DeJean House (1891)

1 comment

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

267 Division Street South

James F. DeJean was born in 1841 in British Guiana on the northern coast of South America. After being in “the service of Her Majesty in the tropical climate of India for 15 years” and enduring “the hardships of a sailor’s life on the Mediterranean for five years” DeJean emigrated to Canada, married Ellen Ormerod of Brantford and settled in London, Ontario working for Molson’s Bank. As a summer vacationer to Kingsville, DeJean purchased property on Division Street South in 1887 and had a summer cottage built in 1889. Two years later, DeJean decided to move to Kingsville permanently to open up a private bank. He purchased property on Main Street West, constructed a 2-storey brick building, moved his cottage to Chestnut street and had this “handsome residence” built, all in the spring and summer of 1891. Unfortunately, DeJean’s health began to fail shortly afterwards and he died in April 1893. Ellen remained in this home until 1899, raising her children (Nellie, Gertrude, Marion, Frederick and James) and running a “fancy goods and notions” store in the DeJean Block on Main Street West.

Mr. DeJean, of London, will build a handsome new residence on his lot on Division street. The building which is situated on the site where the new one is to be, will be moved on to Chestnut street where it will be to rent. The work of excavation for Mr. Dejean’s new block of stores was commenced last week. The building will be two stories, 38 x 45 feet, and will cost $3,000. The stores will be fitted for a banking office and drug store.

Amherstburg Echo, April 17, 1891 p.6

The Masonic lodge, of which the late J.F. DeJean was a member, was in attendance at his funeral and marched with the corpse to the Greenhill cemetery where the interment was made. Deceased was 52 years old and was born in British Guiana.

Amherstburg Echo, April 14, 1893 p.6

Mr. Fred DeJean has secured a situation as clerk in Molson’s Bank here. We feel assured that if honesty and integrity count for anything Fred will get to the front in time.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.5

Mrs. Fowler of Detroit, is preparing to move into her new residence at the lake, formerly the Mrs. DeJean property. She has had the house repaired and refurnished. It is finished throughout with ingrain paper. The effect is terra cotta and old gold, which is pleasing and rich in appearance. The work was done under the supervision of S.L. McKay.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 23, 1899 p.5

A musical of an unusually artistic order was given last Thursday evening at the residence of Mrs. W.J. Fowler, Division st. Each number was charmingly rendered and greatly appreciated. The participants were Mrs. George W. Henry, pianist; Miss E.M. Fowler, contralto; Mrs. Westcott, contralto; assisted by Julius V. Seyler, pianist and Alfred Hofman, cellist, two distinguished musicians from Detroit. The evening was one which will be long remembered by the few friends entertained in honor of Mrs. Seyler, Miss Seyler and Mr. Seyler, Mrs. Fowler’s guests from Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 15, 1901 p.4

by

Fraser & Caroline Westcott House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

261 Division Street South

Dr. William H. Drake was a very prominent physician in Kingsville from 1856 until his retirement to Windsor in 1894. In 1891, Dr. Drake has this “summer residence” built but never actually lived in it. As soon as it was completed, private banker Fraser Westcott and his wife Caroline moved in and remained in this home for nine years. Caroline A. Westcott was an accomplished musician and composer of several published songs including “Essex Heroes,” “Our Queen” and “Mettawas Waltzes.” In 1899, Molson’s Bank purchased Westcott’s Bank and the Westcotts bought the house next door, on the corner of Division and Erie, which no longer stands. That same year, Dr. Drake sold this house to George and Marian Henry but it was a later owner, Heenan Bruner, who added the verandahs in 1922.

Mrs. F. Westcott, author of the Mettawas Waltzes has just had published another piece of music set to the words of that lovely hymn, “Jesus Lover of My Soul.” Musical critics speak very highly of this, Mrs. Westcott’s latest production, and it bids fair to become, if anything, more popular than the Mettawas Waltzes. On sale at Leggett’s.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 15, 1895 p.5

Branch of Molson’s Bank Established in Kingsville

On Friday evening last Mr. Thompson, manager of the Ridgetown Branch Molsons Bank, arrived in town, and inside of a couple of hours had decided to open a branch of the Molsons in this place. He at once got out his advertising matter and announced his intention to the public. It was first intended to occupy the DeJean block, but subsequently arrangements were made to absorb Westcott’s private bank, and use the premises occupied by that gentleman.

On Tuesday evening Mr. H.A. Barrier, head office accountant from Montreal, arrived in town and completed the arrangements made by Mr. Thompson, and the bank opened for business today. [. . .] Mr. F. Westcott has secured the position of accountant in the new business, which will be gratifying to his numerous friends here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.4

Heenan Bruner is adding very much to the appearance of his home on Division St., by building verandas in front and at the side of the residence. The front is 12×30 and the side 6×30, all enclosed with glass and screened for the summer.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 31, 1922 p.5