Tag Archives: Wigle

by

Russell H. & Ethel Pickard House (1911)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

31 Division Street South

Russell Howard Pickard, a graduate of the Ontario College of Pharmacy, moved to Kingsville in 1907 and purchased the Corner Drug Store from William Warner. Three years later, R.H. married Ethel, the middle daughter of Darius and Ellen Wigle. In 1911, it was announced that “Ex-Mayor Wigle has commenced operations on a new house for his daughter, Mrs. R.H. Pickard, on the corner of Pearl and Division streets [. . .] Wm Davey & Son are doing the brick work.” In addition to operating the Corner Drug Store in Kingsville for over twenty years, R.H. also owned “Pickard’s Drug and Dollar” stores in Windsor and Walkerville. R.H. and Ethel had one daughter, Pauline, who married Patrick O’Heron, managing director of the Pickard 5¢ to $1.00 Stores in Windsor. Pauline and Pat lived in this home and in 1962, O’Heron purchased the business of Webb & Co. and it was renamed “Pat O’Heron, Clothier.”

Another Change

Owing to overwork and close attention to business, Mr. Warner of the corner drug store, had begun to fail in health, and as a consequence he decided to sell out and take a few months’ rest. His successor is Mr. R.H. Pickard, a graduate of the Ontario College of Pharmacy. Mr. Pickard spent some four years at the business in Toronto, but for the past year has been with Mr. Stillman, druggist of Essex. He comes highly recommended. While sorry to see Mr. Warner leave town, we are glad he has sold to a man who will make a worthy successor. Mr. C.S. Miller will remain with Mr. Pickard for some time.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 11, 1907 p.4

Change of Business

I wish to announce to the people of Kingsville and surrounding country that having purchased The Corner Drug Store from Wm. Warner, conducted for years by Mr. Miller, we will endeavor by close attention to business courteous treatment to both old and young, and with our complete stock of drugs, drug sundries, patents, stationery (sic), school books, fancy china, etc., hope to secure the hearty support and liberal patronage given to my predecessors.

Our prescription department will be in charge of a qualified dispenser, and by handling nothing but the best of drugs, we will be in a position to dispense your prescriptions to the satisfaction of yourself and your physician. Mr. Miller has kindly consented to remain with me.

R.H. Pickard,

The CORNER DRUG STORE

The Kingsville Reporter, April 18, 1907 p.5

H.C. Layman Purchased the Building Occupied by Royal Bank

A short time since H.C. Layman druggist, purchased the brick block, south side of Main street west [15 Main Street West], from the Dr. Wigle estate. With the purchase of the Wigle block at the corner of Main and Division streets by R.H. Pickard and W.M. Webb, all the real estate holdings of the late Dr. and Mrs. Andrew Wigle are disposed of and the places are in the hands of Kingsville business men.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 29, 1927 p.1

Pat O’Heron Purchases Webb and Company Firm

One of Kingsville’s oldest business establishments changed hands as of January 1st when Pat O’Heron purchased the Webb & Company business. The firm will be known in future as Pat O’Heron, Clothier.

Mr. O’Heron is well known in Kingsville, having resided here for 21 years. He has been in the retailing business for the past 16 years, and is managing director of the Pickard 5c to $1.00 Stores in Windsor.

“Pat” as he is popularly locally known was a radar technician with the R.C.A.F. for five years, two of them overseas, during the last war. He is the clerk of the session of Epworth United Church and with Mrs. O’Heron enjoy twin daughters.

The original firm of Webb & Company was established in Kingsville in 1909 by F.R. Webb, father of the late Morton Webb who combined the business for a number of years under the name of Webb and Hendershot. Changing the firm name back in the early 1920’s to Webb & Company, the late Morton Webb eventually sold his interest in the firm to his son-in-law, Hugh Secord, who has operated the business since 1946.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1962 p.1

by

Frank R. & Julia Webb House (1909)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

59 Division Street South

Charles Warren Hendershot moved from Petrolia to Kingsville in 1896 with his new wife, Katherine Webb, to open up a “Dry Goods, Gents’ Furnishings” store in the Grenville Block. Within a year, he purchased the house at 53 Division Street South from Dr. Andrew Wigle and opened another branch of his store in the Wigle Block. In 1909 Katherine’s parents, Frank R. and Julia Webb, returned to Kingsville from Blenheim and had this house built by the Oxley Bros. on a lot purchased from the Hendershots. Charles also sold Frank his Wigle Block business, which Webb ran until his death in 1922. Martha, the widow of George A. Grenville, purchased this home in 1913 and she lived there for 25 years until it was sold to Fred O. Graham.

Mr. F.R. Webb has sold his store business in Blenheim and will remove here as soon as his new house is ready for occupation. We welcome him back to our town and hope that in the future he will not make the mistake of trying to find a better town to live in, because such a town is not yet in existence.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 1, 1908 p.5

Mr. F.R. Webb has purchased the C. Hendershot & Co.’s stock of clothing and furnishings and took possession on Saturday last. He is inaugurating a clearing sale at which people may depend on getting good value for their money. In another column will be found Mr. Webb’s announcement for this week. His terms are cash and one price to all and money back if purchase not satisfactory.

The Kingsville Reporter, 28 October 1909 p.5

Mrs. Grenville moved last week to her home opposite the Methodist parsonage which she purchased from Mr. F.R. Webb. She has some improvements put on the house in the form of a fine verandah at the rear, and has now one of the most cozy and comfortable homes in Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 22, 1913 p.5

Barrister W.A. Smith and family will occupy Mrs. Grenville’s home on Division street south for the winter months taking possession January 1st.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 19, 1918 p.5

Mr. Lockwood and his bride, are occupying the Mrs. Grenville home, Division street south, for a few weeks.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1920 p.5

W.T. Conklin has rented Mrs. Grenville’s home on Division St. south and moved into same on Thursday last. Mrs. Grenville will spend the winter in St. Petersburg, Fla., leaving here shortly after Christmas.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 3, 1921 p.5

by

Dr. W.J. McKenzie House (1904)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: ,

20 Division Street South

When Dr. Jenner decided to move from Kingsville to Essex in 1896, he sold his practice to Dr. William J. McKenzie of White Birch, Wisconsin. Dr. McKenzie set up his office in the east side of the DeJean Block on Main St. W. and lived in the apartment upstairs. Florence Arnold was six years old when she lost her father. Florence, her sister Hattie and their mother came to Kingsville to live with her aunt and uncle, Dr. and Mrs. Andrew Wigle.  Four months later, Florence’s mother died of “consumption” and the girls were raised by the Wigles. Florence was a teacher when she met Dr. McKenzie and they were married in 1903. Construction of this house began in April 1904 and the McKenzies moved in the week before Christmas. Dr. McKenzie worked and lived in this home until his death in 1943, Flossie having predeceased him in 1922.

Dr. Jenner has sold his practice here to Dr. Wm. J. McKenzie of White Birch, Wisconsin, formerly of Duluth. The latter is well and favorably known in and around Essex where he practiced a few years ago during his brother Dr. George McKenzie’s absence at the Post graduate school in New York. Kingsville is getting a good man to follow Dr. Jenner.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 10, 1896 p.5

PASSING OF MRS (DR.) McKENZIE

The death of Mrs. McKenzie, wife of Dr. W.J. McKenzie, Kingsville, occurred at their home, Monday, Sept 18th. Mrs. McKenzie, who before her marriage, was Miss Florence Mildred Arnold, was born in St. Mary’s forty-two years ago. When she was six years of age, her father died, and her mother, with her two daughters Hattie and Florence, came to make their home with Dr. and Mrs. Andrew Wigle, Kingsville, Mrs. Wigle being Mrs. Arnold’s sister. Four months later, the mother passed away, leaving the girls a legacy of love to the uncle and aunt, from whom they received all the care and attention love and unselfishness could suggest. Mrs. McKenzie receiver (sic) her early education in the public school, Kingsville, and after four years in the High School, Essex, was graduated with a first-class certificate. After teaching two years in the public school, Essex, she was married in Nov. 1903. Since her marriage, she has lived constantly in Kingsville, and through the conscientious exercise of unusual gifts of heart and mind, has rendered a lasting service to a constantly increasing circle of friends. Her radiant personality and unselfish life leaves aching hearts among her many relatives and friends. She diffused cheer and happiness wherever she went, and her very life was given to those with whom she came in contact. When a girl, she joined the Methodist church and the funeral service was conducted at the house by her pastor, Rev. J.W. Hibbert. She was laid to rest in Greenhill cemetery, Wednesday afternoon.

The Essex Free Press, September 22, 1922 p.5

Will someone please tell Dr. McKenzie where he can borrow his wheelbarrow for a few days?

The Kingsville Reporter, September 22, 1926 p.5

Eyesight Specialist Opens Office In Town of Kingsville

A new professional practice will open in Kingsville next week when Mr. M.R. Gardner, registered optometrist and eyesight specialist, will open an office in the former Dr. McKenzie home on the corner of Division and Pearl Streets.
Mr. Gardner is installing modern equipment to enable him to give the finest eye examinations and prescribe the most accurate of prescriptions. He will also administer orthoptic or muscular treatments.
Mr. Gardner is fully equipped and prepared to make proper fittings and has on hand the latest in frames, including personality shell frames for the young lady.
Mr. Gardner will open his practice in Kingsville next Wednesday afternoon and will be in his office every Wednesday afternoon and all day Saturday thereafter. Appointments may be made any time by calling at his office or by phoning 149. He invites the people of Kingsville and district to consult him for diagnosis and repairs.
Mr. Gardner, who also has a thriving practice in Windsor, attended Wayne University, Detroit, for two years, and Assumption College, Windsor, for two years. He received his degree in optometry from the Ontario College of Optometry and the University of Toronto. He has been practicing in Windsor for the past three years.

The Essex County Reporter, June 1, 1944 p.1

by

Conklin Building (1901)

1 comment

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , , , ,

Corner of Division St S and Main St E

The lifetime motto of David Conklin (1854-1952) was “Do what you have agreed to do, but be careful what you agree to do.” His father died when David was six years old and he was raised by his uncle Simon Wigle, from whom he “acquired his early knowledge of timbering.” Early days included forest clearing and led David to own a very successful lumber mill. Other investments included farming and commercial properties like the Conklin Building. David purchased the vacant lot on the south-east corner of Division and Main from J.W. King in April 1901 for $1,600, and the brick block was completed by December. The building was designed by architect John A. Maycock and D.H. McCay was the superintendent of construction. Shortly after completion, Molson’s Bank moved into the corner section and “the dry good establishment of C.W. Hendershot” occupied the L-shaped store which had entrances on both Division and Main.

The contracts for the new Conklin block have been let, DH McCay does the carpenter work, Wm Maycock and Wm Davey do the brick and stone work, and Ed Kennedy the plastering.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 23, 1901 p.4

In the year 1922, under the pastorate of the late Rev. Joseph Hibbert, Epworth Memorial Hall was erected for the purpose of accommodating the growing Sunday School and meeting the needs of the increasing social demands made upon the church.

At the same time the Memorial Hall was in course of erection there was installed in the church the splendid Casavant Organ, the gift of Mr. David Conklin and his son, William, in memory of the the late Mrs. Wilhelmina Conklin, wife of Mr. Conklin and mother of William.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 6, 1931 p.1

David Conklin Passes in 98th Year

David Conklin, Kingsville’s Grand Old Man, passed away Wednesday afternoon, May 7th, at the Leamington District Memorial Hospital, in his ninety-eighth year. His life coincided with the life of his native town for almost a century, through pioneer days, forest clearing, lumbering, business expansion and town building, even into our more settled commercial and agricultural era. The residents of Main St. West and Division St. North have commented many times that Mr. Conklin’s car was as reliable a time-piece as an alarm clock. His time never varied as he pursued his regular and methodical routine of farming and operating his saw mill. He executed his business affairs until last autumn with regularity, precision, accuracy and efficiency. An unfortunate accident occurred last October when he was injured by a motorist while crossing Main St. West on foot. Since that event, the late Mr. Conklin was confined to the Leamington Hospital where he passed away.

Mr. David Conklin’s father, Thomas Conklin, was the only son of Jacob Conklin, and died when David was only eight years old. Left alone with four other children, David’s mother, Susanna Wigle Conklin, agreed to let David live with her brother, Simon Wigle. It was from his Uncle Simon that David Conklin acquired his early knowledge of timbering. Except for about three months when he attended school, Mr. Conklin’s education was obtained from practical experience and from his wife, Wilhelmina Fox, who had qualified as a school teacher.

Driving oxen as a boy of 10 or 12 was no easy task. There were few roads, and most bush trails involved negotiating swamps, Essex County then being probably one-third under water. Little David had not been exposed to higher religion and lived in the tough logging camps. He could remember as a little boy getting lost with his oxen in Hog Marsh, north of Kingsville, “I would cry a little, then swear a little. Eventually I got through all right.”

As a boy of 16, his uncle gave him a job of bidding on the timber in Walker’s Marsh, about 12 miles from Kingsville. Mr. Hiram Walker was at first disdainful of the boy but his respect mounted when David’s tender took the timber by one dollar.

At 17 his uncle put David in his first responsible job – foreman of a logging camp of 75 French-Canadians. His duties were varied. Not the least interesting was the Saturday night chore of rounding up the men from the bars in Kingsville, lining them up and marching them out of town, singing, to their camps a few miles distant. If left alone, the men would have wrecked the town. “They respected me,” he would say. “One reason was that I didn’t use liquor or tobacco.”

The international boundary in Mr. Conklin’s early days was ignored. He timbered in Wayne County, Michigan, along with his operations in Essex County. One of his jobs was removing timber from the site of Detroit’s present Willow Run Airport. Included was elevating timber from the near-by valleys, which others could not do, but which Mr. Conklin performed by a clever arrangement of pulleys. At this time he was earning highly skilled wages, amounting to $1.00 per day.

Leaving his uncle’s employ in about 1882 at the age of 28, Mr. Conklin entered a partnership operating a grist mill in Kingsville. The following few years saw him interested in various enterprises including the district’s first gas well. Steam power was coming into popular use by this time, and about the 1885 he returned to his first love, purchasing a sawmill three miles north of Kingsville.

Twice his sawmill burned to the ground, and each time he rebuilt. Even this years, Mr. Conklin still operated a small sawmill on the site of his original mill. Along with this, he operated six farms. Still possessing a car driver’s license despite rigorous yearly examinations, Mr. Conklin supervised these activities in person. He was ever the man who saw at once the trouble and the cure when some piece of machinery was misbehaving.

There were many serious business depressions in his time. Each of them lasted three years or more. The worst of the early ones started in 1873, 1893, and 1901. His solution in 1901 was to expand his activities, rather than to retrench. Labour and material were lower priced and easily available, and much was supplied to him by debtors as a way of paying their accounts. At this time he built two store buildings on Kingsville’s chief business street, providing accommodation for a bank and ten stores, with office and apartments in the second storey. “Be sure you are right, and then go ahead,” was his advice. “A depression time can provide opportunities as well as hardships.” Until this year Mr. Conklin still looked after these store buildings himself, even keeping his own careful accounts of his revenue and expenses without the aid of a book-keeper.

Mr. Conklin was active in the Methodist Church for many years dating back to the first Methodist Church on Main St. East. He was a member of the building committee for the original Methodist Church on the site of the present Epworth United Church, and has been a trustee since 1887. His lifetime motto was “Do what you have agreed to do, but be careful what you agree to do.”

David Conklin was the only remaining one of the eight children born to Thomas and Susanna Conklin. He was born November 4th, 1854, in Kingsville, on the Conklin lot east of his late residence. He married Wilhelmina Fox, daughter of Mr and Mrs William C. Fox, on February 24th, 1875. His wife predeceased him on March 20th, 1922. His survivors are: William Thomas Conklin, his only son; three grandchildren, Mrs. Manly Miner (Lucile) of Kingsville, William David Conklin of Kingsville, Mrs. Russell Skitch (Nora) of Toronto; seven great-grandchildren, namely: Mrs. Robert Stoffes (Wilhelmina Miner) of Detroit, Annetta, David, William, and Janet Conklin, of Kingsville, Russel and William Skitch of Toronto; and one great-great-grandchild, Suzanne Steffes [Stoffes?] of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 8, 1952 p.1

by

Maria J. Wigle House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

103 Division Street South

By 1867, it was reported that Solomon Wigle was “worth between one and two hundred thousand dollars.” It was the same year that he was “elected to the first provincial legislature of Ontario” representing Essex County. Together with is wife, Ann (Iler), Solomon had six sons and two daughters.  Unfortunately, after 32 years of marriage, Ann died at the age of 50. Two years later, in 1878, Solomon travelled to Pennsylvania and married Maria Jane Schwarts and they lived in Kingsville until his death in 1898. Solomon’s youngest son, Ernest S. Wigle had this house built in 1900 for his step-mother and Maria was granted a life lease for the property. In addition, Ernest was responsible “to pay all taxes and keep up repairs in accordance with the terms of the will of the late Solomon Wigle.” Maria remained in this home until her death in 1912 at the age of 79.

Our readers will call to mind the case of Mrs. Kirby, whose husband was killed while in the discharge of his duty on board a steamboat, last summer, and who was left with a family of little children. Various have been the means devised to assist the widow and at length Mrs. Solomon Wigle and other ladies interested themselves to procure a home for her. A lot has been purchased and a very substantial small residence has been erected thereon, under the superintendence of Freeman Bertrand. On Monday evening of last week, by invitation, a number persons were present at the residence of Mrs. Solomon Wigle to consult as to the best way of securing the house and lot in order to perpetuate its being used for the same purpose and the conclusion come to was that the property shall be deeded to the Corporation of Kingsville, as a home for a needy widow. Mrs. Kirby to have the use of it, rent free, till she remarries or till she dies, in either of which events, the council shall put another needy widow in possession on the same terms.

Amherstburg Echo, May 20, 1887 p.6

ANOTHER PIONEER GONE.

The Late Solomon Wigle Laid at Rest

The funeral of the late Solomon Wigle took place on Monday from his late residence, Main St. east, to Greenhill cemetery.

. . . He was the first to start a stage line between Windsor, Amherstburg and Blenheim, which continued until railroads arrived . . . He was a provisional director of the company which built the woollen mills, and a director of the Kingsville Natural Gas & Oil Co., of which later he was vice president at the time of his death. . . His family, all by his first wife, consisted of six sons and two daughters. The sons are Lewis, ex-M.P., Leamington; Gordon, Mayfield, California; Alfred, postmaster, Windsor, Elihu, deceased; Ernest S., barrister, Windsor; and Angus, on the old homestead. The daughters were Esther (Mrs. Dr. King), deceased, and Ella, who died at sixteen years.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 5, 1898 p.4

The Late Mrs. Maria J. Wigle

. . . She was a very cultured woman, a kind neighbor, and very pronounced in her ideas on all the great moral questions of the day. . . . Her life in Kingsville was one of helpfulness, and in her home she had practically been mother to two families, that of the late Solomon Wigle and of the late Dr. S.A. King. She never had any children of her own and has no living relatives excepting some cousins in Philadelphia. . . . The funeral took place from the home, Division street south, yesterday at 2.30, Rev. Mr. Martin and Rev. W.H. Ebersole officiating. The pall bearers were five step-sons and one step-grandson. Interment being made in the family plot, Greenhill cemetery.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1912 p.4

Herbert Scratch of this place was quietly married in Essex yesterday to Mrs. Douglas of that town. They will occupy the house recently purchased by Mr. Scratch from the Mrs. Solomon Wigle estate.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 19, 1912 p.5

1 2 3 4