Tag Archives: Wigle

by

James & Mabel Coate House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , ,

68 Division Street South

A two-storey frame house was built in 1881 by James Workman King, just north of the brick house he was planning to build (86 Division Street South). The home was quite modest and was used to house his “hired men,” and later became a rental property. In the fall of 1899, J.W.’s daughter Mabel became engaged to James R. Coate, a local hardware merchant. Mabel was given the frame house on Division St. S. in anticipation of the wedding the following spring. Her fiancé purchased a house from John D. Wigle, who was preparing to build his own brick residence, moved it to Mabel’s lot and attached it to the original home. When completed in 1900, the home was described as “one of the nicest and most convenient in town. The wood used in the interior is ash finished in oil, giving a very pretty effect. It is electric lighted throughout and piped for hot and cold water. The woodwork on the structure was done by G.W. Mercer and reflects credit upon that gentleman’s skill and taste as a workman.”

Marriage of Mr. J.R. Coate and Miss Mabel King.

A pretty wedding in Kingsville on Wednesday was that of Miss Mabel King, daughter of Mr. James King and Mr. James [Richard] Lamont Coate.

The church, the home of the bride, and the adjoining residence of Mrs. Curtis Green, sister of the bride, where the wedding breakfast was served, were most beautifully decorated with a profusion of ferns and pink and white roses.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Anderson at the Church of the Epiphany.

Punctually at three o’clock the bride looking lovelier than ever in her dainty bride robe of white silk and chiffon and wearing the usual veil, entered the church leaning on the arm of her father. Then followed the two little flower girls, Muriel Green, niece of the bride, and Marjory McKay, both looking sweet in fluffy white dresses and wearing wreaths of pink rosebuds and carrying sweet peas.

The bridesmaids, Miss Gertrude King, sister of the bride, and Miss Laura King, cousin of the bride, looking very pretty in white organdie dresses trimmed with white satin ribbon and lace, and large white hats trimmed with pink Meline and carrying pink roses.

The best man was Mr. Wesley Petch of Detroit and the ushers were Mr. Fred Allworth, Mr. Abram Green, Mr. George King and Mr. Charles King.

A reception was held at the bride’s home to seventy friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Coate left on the evening train for Chicago and other western points.

The popularity of the bride was shown by the great number of costly and magnificent wedding presents.

The flower decorations at the church were placed under the direction of Mrs. Dr. White, and were remarked upon by those present as the finest they had ever seen at a similar function. Mrs. White’s well known taste in such matters was amply displayed in the beautiful arrangement of roses and other potted plants around the chancel in the windows, around the chandeliers and twined about the doors, while the collection of ferns was probably the largest ever seen in Kingsville.

Miss Dollie Forster presided at the organ and played the wedding march.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 21, 1900 p.4

T.J. Salmoni has purchased the J.R. Coate residence on Division street south and will move into it on Oct. 1.

Amherstburg Echo, September 18, 1903 p.6

Ex-Mayor Salmoni Sells His Residence

W.A. Smith bought Salmoni’s house west side Division street south. Salmoni will built east side Division. Smith sold his house on the corner opposite the park to W.A. Russell of Guelph.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 12, 1919 p.1

The residence of W.A. Smith which he recently purchased from T.J. Salmoni has been re-rooted, partially resided and a fine verandah built on the east end and south side and the whole repainted, making it one of the finest appearing residences on the street.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 14, 1919 p.5

by

Seger L. McKay House (1890)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

121 Division Street South

“House Mover” Peter J. Wigle and his wife Sarah moved into their new “Scotch cottage” style house on Division Street South in June 1890. Unfortunately, “Uncle Peter” died four months later at the age of 79. Sarah remained in the home and opened it up to boarders. One lodger was Seger L. McKay, a hardware merchant from Woodstock. As reported in October 1890, “Mr. McKay, of the new hardware store is a single man. The girls have made a note of this. If he worries through on his own more than 2 years, we give up. When our girls take a desirable young man in hand, the minister and cake is the general result.” It took a little more than two years, but in June 1893 the following announcement was printed in the newspaper: “Cards are out for the marriage of S.L. McKay, of Kingsville, to Edith, daughter of Lewis Wigle, ex-M.P., of Leamington.” After the wedding, “Mac” and Edith rented Sarah’s house and eventually purchased it in 1899.

J.A. Maycock has just completed a set of plans for Mrs. Peter J. Wigle’s brick residence. The design is of the “Scotch cottage” style and is very pretty.

Amherstburg Echo, July 19, 1889 p.6

Mr. S.L McKay and bride, arrived here Saturday night last, and will reside in Mrs. Peter J. Wigle’s house on Division street.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Struck a Good Thing

Mr. S L McKay received a telegram this week from the operators on a property at Cobalt in which he is interested, to the effect that a six inch vein of native silver and a vein of from one to three inches of wire silver had been opened up. The property is known as the Cobalt Contact, is two and a half miles from the town of Cobalt, in the township of Bucke. Mr. McKay, Messrs. Geo. and B. Jasperson and Mayor Wigle have a sixth interest in the property. There are other good properties all around the claim.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.4

Mr. and Mrs. S L McKay removed from here this week to Sarnia. In the departure of Mr. McKay the town sustains a distinct loss.  As Mayor of the town and President of the Board of trade for years Mr. McKay displayed a grasp of business affairs which has been the admiration of everyone who knew him. In gas matters he launched some bold schemes, and they have all proven winners from a financial point of view. Mr. McKay came here twenty years ago from Woodstock and engaged in the hardware business. He was successful from the start, but when he branched out into gas and oil he sold his store. He and his partner, Mr. B. Jasperson succeeded in getting American capital interested in the possibilities of gas from this district and through this Mr. McKay was made secretary-treasurer of the Sarnia Fuel Supply Co., which necessitated his removal from here. His many friends wish for him and his family continued prosperity.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 13, 1910 p.5

Thos. Clark and family have moved into their Division street home recently purchased from Mr. S.L. McKay.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 24, 1910 p.5

by

Elgerton Hutchins House (1889)

1 comment

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

202 Division Street South

In the summer of 1889, local mill owners G.W. Green & Son decided to build a group of houses to be used as employee rental units. The eight small cottages constructed on Myrtle Street became known as “Green Row.” But in later years, some of these homes were moved to other locations around Kingsville. One house was relocated to the corner of Stanley Street and Division Street South on a lot owned by the Ontario Permanent Loan and Building Company. George Pearse, Town Treasurer, purchased the lot and house in 1904 for $750 and lived there until 1915. Later owners were Freeman Wright and William Morton Webb. Mayor Webb sold this home in 1924 to Elgerton Hutchins, a farmer from Olinda, who built a small grocery store on the south part of his lot. For the first few years, the shop was run by Lyle Flanders, Orley Rumble and William Valentine until it was purchased by Glenford Wigle, husband of Elgerton’s daughter Marion, in 1937.

Mr. Hutchins, who recently purchased the Webb property west side of Division St. South is erecting a small store building on the corner of Division Stanley, which he will equip for the summer trade.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 15, 1924 p.5

Miss Marion Hutchins hwo (sic) passed with honors her Toronto Conservatory of Music A.T.C.M. (teacher’s course) of Piano last June, will accept a limited number of pupils at Studio, Division St. South. For appointment phone 356.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 27, 1927 p.4

Armed Robbery Monday at Wigle Grocery Store

Shortly after 7 o’clock Monday evening, two men, one armed, held up the Wigle Grocery Store, 204 Division St. South, and made off with a comparatively small amount of money.

Chief of Police Charles Adam states that the men ordered a clerk, Mrs. Mildred Cowan, to lie on the floor. While one held a gun pointed at www.wupoint.com her, the other man scooped out the bills from the cash register. They did not bother with the silver.

Mrs. Glenford Wigle entered the store by a back door when the robbery was in progress and was told to “stay where you are”.

The men wore women’s scarves over the lower part of the their faces. A slight description states that they were probably in their late teens or early twenties.

As far as is known, this is the first armed robbery of a business establishment in the town in over 35 years.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 23, 1975 p.1

by

Dr. Andrew Wigle House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

53 Division Street South

When this house was completed in 1887, it was described as “one of the handsomest houses in town” and “being different from any other in this part of the County.” It was built by Samuel Forster for Dr. Andrew Wigle, local dentist and businessman. Dr. Andrew, his wife and adopted daughter lived in this house until 1897 when they moved to the corner apartment in his newly built block on the south-west corner of Main and Division streets. The new owner was C.W. Hendershot, a merchant of “clothing and gent’s furnishings” with a store in the new Wigle Block. Hendershot sold this home in 1910 to H.P.D. Evans, manager of Molson’s Bank, who kept it for five years and then sold it to Christopher Brien. A “wholesale merchant,” Brien commuted by rail and ferry from Kingsville to his Detroit business every weekday, except during the winter months. Brien eventually moved back to Michigan and sold this house in 1927 to Dr. Hudgins, Kingsville dentist, who then moved his practice from the Wigle Block to his new home on Division Street South.

Andrew Wigle, our popular dentist, has been the happy recipient of a special invitation to the Michigan State Dental Convention at Ann Arbor. Some of the most eminent men in the state will be present. We congratulate our fellow citizen on having been thus honored. Mr. Wigle’s reputation and business is becoming so extended that more help is needed, and lately much pressure has been brought to bear on him to again open up a large establishment in Detroit. The matter has his consideration. We should be very sorry to lose so valuable a citizen.

Amherstburg Echo, April 1, 1887 p.6

One of the handsomest houses in town, and which is just about completed, is that of Andrew Wigle, on the corner of Division and Mill streets. In design it is very handsome, being different from any other in this part of the County. The fire proof metallic shingle is a first-class innovation, while the finish of the bay windows is admired by all who see it. The work of construction has been under the supervision of Samuel Forster. The mechanical part was performed by Freeman Bertrand.

Amherstburg Echo, September 30, 1887 p.6

Old Resident Passes

[ . . . ]Dr. Wigle was one of the best known and most highly respected residents of Kingsville. He was probably the oldest practicing dentist in Ontario. Outside a few years spent at his profession in Detroit, he spent his days in Kingsville. He sold out his practice a few years ago and even yet his old customers from far and near would come to him for work. [ . . . ] The doctor was in his 86th year, but did not look that old. He was slightly deaf, but otherwise was in full possession of all his faculties. He was a life long Methodist and for a number of years a local preacher and trustee of the church. His friends were legion but his enemies few. He was a fine spirited man, and in every sense of the term, a Christian gentleman.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 3, 1924 p.4

by

Alexander J. Wigle House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , ,

111 Division Street South

Designated in 1987 as the Coda-Leach House

In 1883, after being in Kansas for a year, Alexander J. Wigle and his wife Elizabeth moved back to Canada. Before Kansas, A.J. had been a Gosfield South farmer. But when he moved to Kingsville, A.J. opened up a “mercantile business” on the north side of Main Street West. A.J. and Duchess (as Elizabeth was “affectionately known by the family and close friends”) had Thomas Jenner design this “gothic villa” brick house and it was completed in December 1884. When their daughter Grace was married in this home to Herman Woelz of Colorado, the house was called “Park Place.” Major renovations to this house were completed in 1915 and included an “English stairway” and a “French doorway.” A.J. and Duchess lived in this home together for 34 years. After A.J.’s death in 1918, Duchess moved to Colorado to live with family until her death in 1936.

Petty thieves are again at work in the village. Last Saturday night, the 2nd inst., or early on Sunday morning, Alex. Wigle lost 23 quart cans of fruit out of his cellar at his residence on Division street. An entrance was effected through the cellar window. Mr. W. says he does not mind the thief filling up on the fruit, but he thinks there has plenty of time elapsed in which to return the cans.

Amherstburg Echo, June 15, 1888 p.6

Passing of Alexander J. Wigle

After an illness lasting for over a year, during most of which time he was confined to his home, Alexander J. Wigle passed away on Saturday in the 68th year of his age. Deceased was the eldest son of the late Theodore Wigle and was born on the farm now owned by his younger brother, Nelson, on the lake front. On coming to manhood’s estate, he married in 1874 at Dayton, Ohio, Miss Elizabeth Dunn, of Cincinnati.

[. . .]  Mr. Wigle had been a Methodist for about forty-one years. He was one of the building committee on Epworth Methodist Church when that structure was built in 1893. He was also a member of the Kingsville Council for some nine years, and made an efficient member of the board. He leaves to mourn his demise a widow, one son and two daughters, as follows: Ed C., of Eaton, Colo.; Mrs. R.E. Shultz, of Detroit, and Mrs. Herman Woelz, of Longmont, Colo. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. E.W. Sandison, of Hollywood, Cal.; Mrs. Bisbing, of Detroit, and one brother, Nelson C., Gosfield South.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 21, 1918 p.4

Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle

[Longmont (Colo.) Times-Call, Dec. 5, 1936]

Funeral services for Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle, who passed away Wednesday evening in the home of her son, E.C. Wigle, at Windsor (Colo.), were held Saturday afternoon in the home of her daughter, here, Mrs. Herman Woelz.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle passed on as the result of a heart attack with which she was stricken Tuesday morning.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle was born in Lockland, Ohio, October 5, 1854. Since the death of her husband (Alex. J. Wigle, of Kingsville) in 1918, she had made her home with her children. She loved the West and its people, and for the past 15 years had spent most of her time at Windsor and Longmont.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 17, 1936 p.1

1 2 3 4