Corner of Division St S and Mill St W

Designated in 2008

This Gothic Revival house, built in 1872, has seen many changes over the years. David Wesley Canfield, a successful businessman and lumberman purchased the land in 1870 and two years later had the home built. With his brothers Rial and Nicholas, Canfield’s many business interests in Kingsville included the Canfield Dock, pump factory, freight depot, lumberyard and saw mill on the east side of Division Street South. D.W. Canfield was also Councillor for the Village of Kingsville in 1880. Upon retirement, the Canfields left Kingsville for St. Louis Missouri and sold this property to William H. Hellems in 1895. Hellems was the publisher of the Kingsville Reporter from 1893 to 1935. His three daughters remained in the home until the last sister died in 1972.

Greatly Improved Appearance

The alterations which have been going on in the home of Mr. Hellms (sic) corner Mill Division Sts since the middle of June are completed and many have been the expressions of admiration over the result. The new porches at front and side were planned by Mr. Albert Wood of Detroit, who has a summer home just opposite the park here. He also chose the color of paint used and assisted the painter to mix it until the proper soft French grey shade was secured. The additions made by the carpenters harmonize with the original building, which is English in style. It is the only house in town of this particular design. The entire work is eminently satisfactory, and only emphasizes the fact that in the building of a home, an architect should be called in order that when the structure is completed, it may not be a blot on the landscape. Mr. Wood is an artist in his line.

The carpenter work was done by Mr. Willard Nichol with the assistance of his helpers, Messrs. Bottom and Cooper. The cement work was put in by Ernest Cox. The steps to porches by Orley Rumball. The brick work by Woodiwiss Bros. The tin work by C.C. Harris and the painting by Al Ford. All has been executed in the first class manner. The lumber was furnished by Conklin Planing Mills, which is a sufficient guarantee of its excellence and prompt delivery.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 13, 1925 p.1