Categotry Archives: 1880s


Elgerton Hutchins House (1889)

1 comment

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

202 Division Street South

In the summer of 1889, local mill owners G.W. Green & Son decided to build a group of houses to be used as employee rental units. The eight small cottages constructed on Myrtle Street became known as “Green Row.” But in later years, some of these homes were moved to other locations around Kingsville. One house was relocated to the corner of Stanley Street and Division Street South on a lot owned by the Ontario Permanent Loan and Building Company. George Pearse, Town Treasurer, purchased the lot and house in 1904 for $750 and lived there until 1915. Later owners were Freeman Wright and William Morton Webb. Mayor Webb sold this home in 1924 to Elgerton Hutchins, a farmer from Olinda, who built a small grocery store on the south part of his lot. For the first few years, the shop was run by Lyle Flanders, Orley Rumble and William Valentine until it was purchased by Glenford Wigle, husband of Elgerton’s daughter Marion, in 1937.

Mr. Hutchins, who recently purchased the Webb property west side of Division St. South is erecting a small store building on the corner of Division Stanley, which he will equip for the summer trade.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 15, 1924 p.5

Miss Marion Hutchins hwo (sic) passed with honors her Toronto Conservatory of Music A.T.C.M. (teacher’s course) of Piano last June, will accept a limited number of pupils at Studio, Division St. South. For appointment phone 356.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 27, 1927 p.4

Armed Robbery Monday at Wigle Grocery Store

Shortly after 7 o’clock Monday evening, two men, one armed, held up the Wigle Grocery Store, 204 Division St. South, and made off with a comparatively small amount of money.

Chief of Police Charles Adam states that the men ordered a clerk, Mrs. Mildred Cowan, to lie on the floor. While one held a gun pointed at her, the other man scooped out the bills from the cash register. They did not bother with the silver.

Mrs. Glenford Wigle entered the store by a back door when the robbery was in progress and was told to “stay where you are”.

The men wore women’s scarves over the lower part of the their faces. A slight description states that they were probably in their late teens or early twenties.

As far as is known, this is the first armed robbery of a business establishment in the town in over 35 years.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 23, 1975 p.1


John Lampman House (1888)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

104 Division Street South

Lumber dealer, Elihu Scratch, built a residence on Division Street South in 1887. The following year, Scratch built this home on the south portion of his property and it was referred to as the “Store House.” In 1889, the home was purchased by Colin and Mary McDonald, who had been living on the McDonald family farm west of Kingsville. While living on Division Street South, Colin was a “teamster” and kept two horses for delivering wood and moving small buildings. Colin and his family moved back to the McDonald farm in 1897 when his widowed mother became ill. The house was rented out, first to George Pearse and later to John and Melissa Lampman, who bought the property in 1906. John was a ‘jockey,’ making deliveries from Elihu Scratch’s wood and coal yard. Melissa died in 1913, John in 1927 and the home was inherited by George Lampman, their only child. George lived in Kincardine and used this house as a rental property, selling it in 1938 to Delbert Quick who also used it as an income property, referring to it as the “North House.”

On Wednesday next, March 1st, from 5 to 8 o’clock, the Baptist Ladies’ Aid will hold a 15¢ tea and apron sale at the home of Mrs. Lampman Division st. Everybody welcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 23, 1911 p.5

FOR SALE. One corn crib, one lumber wagon, one top buggy, one hay rack, one set of bobsleighs. Write GEO. LAMPMAN, Kincardine or call on JOHN LAMPMAN, Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.5

Mr. George Lampman and his son, of Kincardine, were in town on Monday last. Mr. Lampman is an old Kingville boy, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Lampman whose home was on Division street, next to the Del. Quick residence. Mr. Lampman is in the mercantile business in Kincardine, and has been doing a propserous business there for some years.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 16, 1937 p.5


Elihu Scratch House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags:

98 Division Street South

Elihu Scratch, the youngest son of Leonard and Sophia Scratch, was born in 1852 on the family farm on the lakefront near Arner. When he married Ellen Snyder in 1874, the young couple remained on the farm with Leonard and Sophia for 13 years. In February 1887, Elihu purchased property on Division Street South and built this home a few months later. The following year, Elihu purchased a lumber business from local builder Thomas Drake, who was moving to Iowa. Elihu travelled to Georgian Bay to order and import 200,000 feet of pine lumber, lath and shingles during the summer of 1888. Eventually expanding his business, Elihu had a lane created to the north of his house to access his “Coal & Wood Yard” in his backyard. In addition to his various business interests, Elihu also served his community as trustee, councillor, reeve and mayor. Elihu and Ellen were married for 56 years and had three children: Helen, Josephine and Leonard J. After Ellen’s death in 1931 and Elihu’s in 1933, oldest daughter Helen (Nellie) Hackett inherited this home.

The wife of Elihu Scratch gave birth to a daughter a month ago. The couple have been married for ten years and this is their first-born.

Amherstburg Echo, October 3, 1884 p.1

Twenty five years ago Mr. Elihu Scratch took a young German boy, named Wilmer Shipe to raise. The lad remained with him for five years, and then thought he would strike out for himself. Last evening a gentleman called on Mr. Scratch and on making himself known, proved to be the boy of twenty years ago. He is now a well-to-do business man in Denver Colorada (sic).

The Kingsville Reporter, December 29, 1898 p.5

Pretty June Wedding

An event of considerable local importance, on account of the prominence of the contracting parties in South Essex, took place yesterday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Elihu Scratch, when their daughter, Josephine Margaret, was united in marriage to Dr. Robert Foster, of Detroit, formerly of Harrow. The relatives and a few friends witnessed the ceremony, which was performed by the Rev. W.H. Ebersole at five o’clock. The bride was attired in Duchess satin made in simple lines, with Irish point lace and pearl trimmings. A veil of Tulle was held to the coiffure with lilies of the valley and she carried a bouquet of bridal roses. She was attended by Miss Anna Foster, sister of the groom, who was attired in a satin gown, of apricot shade and carried pink roses. Hazen Schultz, of Detroit, attired in white, acted as ring bearer. Mr. Leonard Scratch, brother of the bride, supported the groom. The floral decorations in the home were carnations, smilax, roses and other flowers.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1912 p.4


John Malott House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

189 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In the spring of 1888, John Malott (son of “wharfinger” Capt. William J. Malott) decided to stop farming and go into “the pound fishing business.” With his wife Nora (Black) and infant daughter Ada, John moved from Pearl Street West to this home built for Robert Fleming in 1887. Robert moved to John’s house to be closer to his carriage business, and John moved closer to his pound nets in Lake Erie. By 1895, John had a second daughter (Christina) and changed occupations again, advertising as “John Malott, Baker & Confectioner.” Three years later, John sold his home and moved his family to Detroit where he became a carpenter and house builder. The next owner was William A. Smith, a local businessman and lawyer, who eventually became Town Clerk, Mayor of Kingsville (1910 to 1911), Reeve of Gosfield North (1913) and County Magistrate. Smith and his wife Evelyn had two sons: Austin, lawyer and M.P.P. for Essex South (1929-1934) and Lyndon, Rhodes Scholar and Anglican Minister in Toronto.

Other owners of this home include Charles (Robert) Gascoyne & Amelia Gascoyne and Orville (Leroy) & Olive Laramie.

R. Fleming having purchased a lot on Division street, is having the foundation of a very tasty house erected thereon.

Amherstburg Echo, September 23, 1887 p.6

Robert Fleming took advantage of the Queen’s Birthday, to commemorate the event by moving into his new house lately bought of John Malott, on Pearl street, west.

John Malott having sold his late residence on Pearl street west, has moved into the new building on Division street which he purchased from Robt. Fleming.

Amherstburg Echo, June 8, 1888 p.6

Mayor Smith and Ex-Mayor Wigle were in Chatham this week. It was generally remarked that Ex-Mayor Wigle looked fine in his new hat.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1911 p.5

While ex-Mayor Wigle’s new hat has been so much admired and has been drawing so much of the attention of others, Webb wishes to announce that the ex-Mayor’s hat was bought at his gents’ furnishing store where all good goods are for sale at right prices. Some think if Mayor Smith would turn down his pantaloons and wear a hat just like that of ex-Mayor Wigle’s the citizens of the town would think their white haired boy had developed into a man.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1911 p.5

Important Real Estate Deals

Mr. Sam Scratch put through several real estate deals last week, the first of which was trading his Duplex Appartment (sic) in Windsor, to Leroy Laramie for Mr. Laramie’s farm on the Ninth Concession, of Gosfield North. He then sold Mr. Laramie the Robert Gascoyne home on Division street south, Kingsville. He then sold the Laramie farm to his son-in-law, Earl Ryall of Olinda.

The business was all wound up in Windsor and there were no written agreements on any of the deals – something that the legal firm had never seen before, leading them to remark, that there were still men living who regarded their word equal to their bond.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1929 p.1


Urias Loop House (1887)

1 comment

Categories: 1880s, Tags:

138 Division Street South

John Loop was one of the first settlers of Point Pelee, and with his wife Mary Lucinda, raised nine sons and one daughter. Urias, the youngest son, purchased land on Division Street South in Kingsville in 1881 just south of property owned by his brother Ira. In 1884, while living in Mersea Twp, Urias married Mary Girardin and they had two children – Louisa and Charles Gordon. A few months after the birth of her son in 1886, Mary died after being ill for only ten days. Urias built this home in Kingsville in 1887, and moved into it with his two children and his retired parents, John and Mary. When Urias died in 1912, Charles G. Loop inherited the home from his father and remained there until 1973. In addition to being a member of the Odd Fellows, Lions Club and the Chamber of Commerce, Charles served on Town Council for twenty years and was the Mayor of Kingsville for four years.

Loop Brothers launched their new fishboat.

Amherstburg Echo, September 18, 1891 p.6

Urias and Ira Loop sustained a loss on Wednesday night which will amount to several hundred dollars. Some time Wednesday night a steam barge ran into their pounds and did damage to three of their nets to the amount of seven or eight hundred dollars.

Amherstburg Echo, November 7, 1902 p.2

Frank Slater and I. Shaw have purchased Urias Loop’s fishing outfit and have taken possession of same.

Amherstburg Echo, May 15, 1903 p.1

Urias Loop has purchased the Old Boss Washer at the west end of the town, and will turn it into a roller rink. He will remove it from its present site to some place not yet decided upon, take off the top story and add it to the end, building on twenty feet more which will make it 120 feet in length.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 21, 1907 p.5

1 2 3