Categotry Archives: 1890s


Maple Leaf Laundry (1898)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags:

194 Division Street South

Arthur Malott’s 1896 ad read:
Maple Leaf Laundry / The undersigned begs leave to inform the public that he has lately engaged in the laundry business, and hopes by careful attention to same to merit the public patronage. / Arthur Malott, South Division St., Kingsville. Goods called for and delivered.” With his wife Fannie and their three daughters, Arthur purchased a house across the street from his brother John in 1894, and opened Maple Leaf Laundry two years later. Unfortunately, fire broke out in the laundry in July of 1898, but the “contents of the dwelling and all the laundry machinery together with the goods belonging to customers were saved complete.” As the house was being rebuilt, the laundry service was moved to 68 Division Street South. Malott and family continued the business until they sold out in 1905 to the “Chinese laundry.” When the Malotts moved to Windsor in 1906, they sold the property to John and Orilla Black who remained in this home until 1933.

Mr and Mrs Arthur Malott and family desire to express their sincere gratitude to their many friends who so nobly assisted them in saving their household effects at the recent fire. Where all were so kind it is hard to designate any in particular. But the firemen seem especially to be thanked for without them all would have been destroyed.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 21, 1898 p.5



The business has been established about four years as above, and during the last two years it has increased in capacity more than a third of what it was previous to that. Two outside laundries that had agencies here have withdrawn so that the Maple Leaf now has the entire field. It has a very large list of regular customers every week and doing the summer season it does all the starched work for the Mettawas summer resort, which largely increased its volume of business. Work is called for and delivered to any part of the town. It has also a subagency at each of the barber shops for the accommodation of out of town customers and for those who wish to leave parcels during the week. Commercial work and short order work is a specialty with this institution. In short, it is the endeavor of the proprietor to fully overtake all the work expected of such an institution, and so far has succeeded beyond his expectations.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 23, 1899 (Supplement)

Arthur Malott has sold his laundry business to the chinamen in town. History repeats itself. When the Mongol comes the white man moves on.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 13, 1905 p.5

Some boys have been annoying our Chinese laundrymen again, and still the authorities take no notice of the outrage. If the Ch**** would secure a rawhide and administer a good sound drubbing to the little reprobate, it might have a tendency to stop their pranks.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 7, 1905 p.5


Epworth United Church (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , , ,

56 Division Street South

The headline in The Kingsville Reporter on April 4th, 1935 was “Epworth United Church Burned.” As reported the following week: “There seems to be no doubt but that the fire started in or near the organ, and with all the electric current shut off, the origin of the outbreak is a still deeper mystery.” Epworth Methodist Church, designed by Chatham architect James L. Wilson, was built in 1893 with Thomas Jenner as the contractor, Woodiwiss Bros. as the brick and stone masons and H.R. Kratz responsible for the iron and tin work. Memorial Hall, which was built in 1922, was saved from the fire. The new church was designed by Windsor architect J.C. Pennington and built on much of the original stone foundation by the Oxley Bros. The “rebuilt Epworth United Church” was dedicated on April 19th, 1936.

Sunday last was a red letter day in the history of Methodism in Kingsville. On that day the fine new Epworth Church was opened for public worship. . . The church will cost $15,000, of this amount nearly $8,000 was provided for before the building was commenced, which with over $7,000 raised at the opening leaves the church free from debt. This grand result is due to the generosity and large heartedness of the members, adherents and friends of the Methodist denomination in this place.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 12, 1894 p.1


On June 10, 1925, Epworth Methodist Church became a unit in that brotherhood of Christians now known as “The United Church of Canada.” In our present membership of nearly one thousand, are former Presbyterians and Congregationalists. In January, 1935, the congregation unanimously adopted the government of the new church, with the result that Epworth United Church is now completely organized according to the provisions of the basis of Union.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9


The beautiful and impressive ceremony, the laying of the cornerstone, took place on Saturday afternoon, September 14th. The service was presided over by the pastor, Rev. J. Morley Colling. . . . Following dedication prayers by the pastor, Mr. Robert Healey, secretary of the building committee, gave a description of the contents of the box to be inserted in the stone, after which the cornerstone was officially laid by “Uncle Jack” Miner.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9

Church Dedication

On Sunday afternoon, the dedicatory services were held. A few minutes after three o’clock, the president of the London Conference, Rev. W.A. Walden, B.A., of London, and the ministers assisting him, entered the main door of the church, while the choir and congreation arose and sang the Doxology. . . . So large was the congregation that gathered to praise God after a year’s tireless efforts in rebuilding the church, that Chief of Police J.C. Babcock was called upon to direct traffic at the intersection of Division and Mill Streets, and cars were lined for several blocks on both sides of the two thoroughfares in the four directions.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.1


Curtis J. Green House (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

78 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In March 1888, Curtis James Green purchased Robert Barber’s half interest in the Green & Barber Mill and Factory to become partner with his father, George Warren. The new company was called Green & Son. Later that year, C.J. married Fannie, Col. King’s oldest granddaughter and moved into a house on Division Street South owned by his father-in-law. In 1892, Fannie’s father James Workman King gave the couple a building lot next to his residence and this home was completed in 1893. In addition to the lumber mill and factory, C.J. was involved in many businesses including the Kingsville Natural Gas Co., Kingsville Canning Company and the Chamberlin Metal Weather Strip Company. Later owners were Fannie and C.J.’s son, James Sidney Green and his wife Irene, who lived in this home from 1923 until 1968.

We were shown through Mr. Curtis Green’s new house, on Tuesday. It is nearly ready for occupation and when completed will be a home any man should feel proud of. T.P. Flanagan is doing the alabastine work, and he shows himself an adept at the business. The halls are done in salmon; one bedroom in pink, one in blue with purple trimmings; the parlor in terra cotta with ceiling lavender, and trimmings dark green; sitting room is much the same; dining room walls permanent blue, ceiling a lighter shade, dark green trimmings. The shades are very pretty, and, with the woodwork of natural oak done in oil, make an excellent combination.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Mr. C.J. Green has improved his residence on Division street by adding a large stone verandah also a sun parlor, which adds very much to its appearance. When completed, it will be occupied by his son, Sidney Green.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.5

Curtis J. Green

The people of this town were shocked when the news of the death of Mr. C.J. Green reached here on Thursday last. Mr. and Mrs. Green had been spending the winter months at Charleston, South Carolina for the benefit of Mrs. Green’s health, which had not been of the best for some time. Mrs. Green had been taken suddenly worse and their son Sidney of this place, and daughter, Mrs. Leo. King, Windsor, had been sent for. Mrs. Green began gradually to improve and Sidney had arranged to start for home Thursday. Mrs. Green was worse on Thursday morning when Mr. Green came over to see her and the shock combined with the worry over his wife’s condition was too much for him and his heart gave way, resulting in his death.

The Masonic fraternity of the city took charge of the body and made arrangements for its shipment north to Kingsville. It arrived here Sunday and the funeral took place under Masonic auspices. The Masonic brethren of Charleston were most kind and did everything possible in aid of the bereaved relatives in their hour of grief.

Deceased was in the 62nd year of his age. He was born near Hamilton and was the eldest son of the late G.W. Green. The family came to Kingsville in 1885 and engaged in the milling business. They also acquired extensive lumbering interests in the Southern States shipping most of the product north. Curtis has resided here practically all the time since 1885. Shortly after coming here he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny King, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W. King. Two children were born to the union, Sidney, now of Kingsville and Muriel (Mrs. Leo. King) of Windsor. Mr. Green was a good business man, of a quiet and rather reserved disposition, but well like and respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Anglican Church, a 32nd Degree Mason and a Scottish Riter. He is survived his widow and two children and his mother, who is now in Felsmere, Florida; also one sister, Mrs. Milford Wigle and Robt., both of Felsmere, Florida; Edgar, Detroit; A.B. (sic) of Walkerville and Albert of this town.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1925 p.1


Green’s Tenement House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , ,

205 Division Street South

George Warren Green and family moved to Kingsville from Greensville (near Hamilton) in 1885. Together with his nephew Robert Barber, G.W. purchased the Canfield lumber mill on Division Street South, near Mill Street East. Within a year, Green & Barber built a new larger lumber mill and a factory which manufactured “fork, pick and maul handles” and employed “13 hands.” Green started building employee housing on Myrtle Street in 1889, and had this “tenement house” constructed in 1891 on property he leased from J.H. Smart and Dr. S.A. King. G.W. finally purchased the lot in 1901 and this home remained in the Green family, as a rental property, until 1923 when it was sold to Bon Jasperson. Later owners include Isaac & Lulu Whittle and Charlotte Berry.

Green & Barber’s new saw mill is on the way. It is to be erected in the north east corner of their lot on Division street and will be of two or more stories, 60×36 feet, and will be fitted with the usual machinery of a saw mill with the latest improvements, which will be driven by a new 35-horse power engine, having a 45 horse power boiler.

Amherstburg Echo, December 5, 1885 p.6

During the year 1887, Green & Barber paid out in Kingsville, in cash, $5,374.65, and yet some people say these factories are no good to a village.

Amherstburg Echo, January 14, 1888 p.6

Green & Son have put into their factory a “blower” made by Curtis Joyce, of this village. The object of this is to carry away saw dust and shavings from all the machines in the entire mill and convey them to a building near the furnace to be used as fuel for running machinery in the factory.

Amherstburg Echo, April 6, 1888 p.6

Destructive Fire

G.W. Green & Son’s Saw Mill Consumed

Loss Over $2,000

On Tuesday morning at four o’clock, our citizens were aroused by the alarm of fire. The fire proved to be in Green’s saw mill, in rear of their large factory on Division St. When discovered the devouring element was under full head-way, and the roof had fallen in. The townspeople promptly responded to to (sic) the call and did what they could toward saving the lumber around the burning building, and in preventing the spread of the flames to the factory, a short distance away. There was a large pile of wood stacked between the two buildings, and a considerable portion of this had to be removed in order to clear a space between the mill and factory. The wood flew right and left for a time very lively, until danger from this direction was past, and then attention was turned to the fences and to the roof of the factory, which caught fire several times. and it was almost a miracle that the factory was saved from destruction. As we have no system of fire protection, all that could be done was to save what loose material there was in that yard, and keep the fire from spreading as much as possible.

The origin of the fire is a mystery. The mill had been running for a short time in the forenoon the day before, but as gas is used instead of wood for firing, and that was turned off at noon, it could not have caught from that source. There was only about $200 insurance on the mill and contents, which was valued at $2,500. The machinery is a total loss. Fortunately there was not much lumber in the yard, it having been shipped away some time since. There is in the yard probably 100,000 feet of logs, which will no doubt be cut at Smith’s mill.

Messrs. Green & Son will not rebuild this season, but will probably do so next season. We are pleased that it is their intention to rebuild, as the town can ill-afford to lose industries of this kind.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1893 p.1

G.W. Green & Son’s factory and mills have started and are running full blast.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 27, 1894 p.7

Green & Son’s factory will make 20,000 boxes for the canning factory this season.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1895 p.8


James F. DeJean House (1891)

1 comment

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

267 Division Street South

James F. DeJean was born in 1841 in British Guiana on the northern coast of South America. After being in “the service of Her Majesty in the tropical climate of India for 15 years” and enduring “the hardships of a sailor’s life on the Mediterranean for five years” DeJean emigrated to Canada, married Ellen Ormerod of Brantford and settled in London, Ontario working for Molson’s Bank. As a summer vacationer to Kingsville, DeJean purchased property on Division Street South in 1887 and had a summer cottage built in 1889. Two years later, DeJean decided to move to Kingsville permanently to open up a private bank. He purchased property on Main Street West, constructed a 2-storey brick building, moved his cottage to Chestnut street and had this “handsome residence” built, all in the spring and summer of 1891. Unfortunately, DeJean’s health began to fail shortly afterwards and he died in April 1893. Ellen remained in this home until 1899, raising her children (Nellie, Gertrude, Marion, Frederick and James) and running a “fancy goods and notions” store in the DeJean Block on Main Street West.

Mr. DeJean, of London, will build a handsome new residence on his lot on Division street. The building which is situated on the site where the new one is to be, will be moved on to Chestnut street where it will be to rent. The work of excavation for Mr. Dejean’s new block of stores was commenced last week. The building will be two stories, 38 x 45 feet, and will cost $3,000. The stores will be fitted for a banking office and drug store.

Amherstburg Echo, April 17, 1891 p.6

The Masonic lodge, of which the late J.F. DeJean was a member, was in attendance at his funeral and marched with the corpse to the Greenhill cemetery where the interment was made. Deceased was 52 years old and was born in British Guiana.

Amherstburg Echo, April 14, 1893 p.6

Mr. Fred DeJean has secured a situation as clerk in Molson’s Bank here. We feel assured that if honesty and integrity count for anything Fred will get to the front in time.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.5

Mrs. Fowler of Detroit, is preparing to move into her new residence at the lake, formerly the Mrs. DeJean property. She has had the house repaired and refurnished. It is finished throughout with ingrain paper. The effect is terra cotta and old gold, which is pleasing and rich in appearance. The work was done under the supervision of S.L. McKay.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 23, 1899 p.5

A musical of an unusually artistic order was given last Thursday evening at the residence of Mrs. W.J. Fowler, Division st. Each number was charmingly rendered and greatly appreciated. The participants were Mrs. George W. Henry, pianist; Miss E.M. Fowler, contralto; Mrs. Westcott, contralto; assisted by Julius V. Seyler, pianist and Alfred Hofman, cellist, two distinguished musicians from Detroit. The evening was one which will be long remembered by the few friends entertained in honor of Mrs. Seyler, Miss Seyler and Mr. Seyler, Mrs. Fowler’s guests from Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 15, 1901 p.4

1 2