Categotry Archives: 1910s


Roderick & Anna Smith House (1919)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

221221 Division Street South

The Windsor Evening Record’s headline on September 14, 1907 was “WINDSOR, ESSEX & LAKE SHORE RY. WILL OPEN FOR TRAFFIC THURSDAY: Line That Was Promoted and Incorporated Over Six Years Ago is Finally Ready for Operation and Officials are Happy Over Fruition of Plans to Give Essex County the Finest-Equipped Electric Road on the Continent.” The W.E&L.S route ran from Windsor through Kingsville to Leamington. Being a major hub for the electric railway, many people came to Kingsville for employment. Roderick Smith moved to Kingsville from the Bruce Peninsula and became an engineer with the “interurban railway.” Roderick was married to Anna, daughter of Colin and Mary McDonald, in 1914 and they had this house built in 1919.

County Council Notes

A petition was presented, asking the Legislature to pass the Bill to incorporate the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway. It was moved by Messrs. Stone and Brett, that this council concur in the petition just read, and the Warden and Clerk sign same and attach the corporate seal and forward through our members to the Local Legislature. — Car.

The Comber Herald, January 31, 1901 p.1

Few radial lines have had more difficulties to contend with than the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore railway. Almost since its inception the company has been beset by obstacles that ranged from franchise restrictions of contrary councils to internal dissension over financial problems. Even the elements took a slap at the company and wrecked the power house at Kingsville when it was in course of construction. The promoters have had many an anxious hour and must have almost despaired of ultimate fulfilment of their plans, but they bid fair now to emerge triumphant and reap long-delayed returns on their investment.

The Windsor Evening Record, September 14, 1907 p.1


The Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Rapid Ry. Co.

Cars leave corner Ouellette avenue and Pitt street, Windsor, daily at 7.15 a.m., 9 a.m., 11.15 a.m., 1 p.m., 3.15 p.m., 5 p.m. and 8.15 p.m. for Pelton, Maidstone, Essex, Cottam, Kingsville, Ruthven and Leamington. On Sunday last car leaves Windsor at 10 p.m. for all points.

Express trains leave Windsor daily except Sunday at 10.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.

Phones: Passenger Office and Waiting Room 989. Freight Shed 1036. Cartage Office 24.

IVAN SHEPLY, Ticket Agent. A.J. SHRUM, Freight Agent, Windsor. A. EASTMAN, Gen’l Western union point Mgr. P.H. SCOTT, Traffic Mrg., Kingsville.

The Windsor Evening Record, December 29, 1910 p.5

The thirty-five employees of the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore interurban railway Saturday received official notice from the Ontario Hydro Commission which operates the line, that they will not be needed after September 15. The road is to be closed permanently on that date because directors have decided it cannot be operated at a profit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1932 p.5


[. . .]


The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1942 p.2

Salvage of slightly more than 100 tons of steel rails, part of the old unused Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Railway, is being suggested by the Kingsville Town Council to the Dominion Salvage Committee. The rails are the property of the Guaranty Trust Company, trustees for the defunct railroad, and will bring abut $2,000 on the market. They are not cemented and would be easily removed.

The Leamington Post, April 2, 1942 p.7



Charles & Mary Jane Miner House (1919)


Categories: 1910s, Tags:

209209 Division Street South

Ohio resident, John Miner Sr., purchased 100 acres of land on the Third Concession in 1872 and he “visited his Canadian home each winter until March, 1878, when he built a log house on the ten acres he had previously chopped down.” The cabin became the home for John, his wife Ann and their ten children: Rebecca, Mary Ann, Ted, Lizzie, Jack, Amos, Charles, George, Florence and Lily. Charles Miner married Mary Jane Creaser in 1889 and bought a farm down the road from the Miner Homestead. After 30 years on the farm, Charles and Mary Jane moved to their new home on Division Street South, built in 1919. Glen Miner inherited the house after the death of his parents – Charles in 1930, Mary Jane four years later.

 John Miner, Sr.

On Tuesday, April 24th, John Miner Sr. passed away at his late home, Gosfield South. Mr. Miner was born in Leicestershire, England, April 16th, 1829. At the age of 24 he came to America, landing at Boston, Mass. A few days later, he left Boston with fishermen in search of whales, remaining at sea nearly fourteen months, during which time he seldom saw land. Returning to Boston, he worked his way up the country to the State of Ohio, where he married Ann Broadwell, who pre-deceased him June 17th, 1914.

The Essex Free Press, May 4, 1917 p.3


Chas. Miner of Division St., south, was taken ill a coyuple of weeks ago, and on Friday last was taken to the hospital where he died on Saturday morning in his 61st year.

Mr. Miner was born at Akron, Ohio, and came to Essex County with his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John Miner, and other members of the family and lived at home until a little over forty years ago he married Mary Jane Creaser, of Glen Major, Ont., and for more than twenty years lived on his farm on the Third concession. Several years ago he built a home in Kingsville on Division street south and lived there until his death. Latterly he has followed contracting and did a great deal of cement work at Cedar Beach and in other sections throughout the county, and he was considered an expert at the business. [. . .]

He is survived by his widow, one son, Glen, an adopted daughter, Mrs. Ed. Cox, and an adopted son, Lloyd Miner.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 19, 1930 p.1

Kings. Native Glenn Miner Passes

Glenn Miner, a life-long resident of Kingsville, passed away Monday morning at Leamington Hostpital at the age of 70 years.

Mr. Miner was the son of the late Charles and Mary Jane Miner and the nephew of the late Jack Miner.

He opened a smoke shop and taxi business on Division Street South in 1939. As well, Mr. Miner operated a restaurant on Main Street East for a few years. The taxi business moved from its original location, where the Bank of Montreal is now situated, to the corner of Chestnut and Main Street, and eventually it was relocated to the present address on Chestnut.

Glenn Miner was a very talented musician, and entertained locally for many years, playing both the piano and organ.

He was an avid sports enthusiast who participated in community baseball, and spent many hours hunting and fishing.

Husband of Dorothy (Lundy). Father and father-in-law of Linda and Stewart Francis, of Kingsville. Grandfather of Karen Elizabeth. Brother of Lloyd Miner, Kingsville, and the late Eva (Mrs. Ted Cox).

The Kingsville Reporter, January 9, 1980 p.3


Earl & Maggie Green House (1917)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

150150 Division Street South

When George Miner sold his home at 144 Division Street South in February 1917, he still owned the empty lot on the corner of Division and Stewart. Later that year, George “moved his frame house from the Miner homestead to his lot in town on Division street just north of the P.M. Railway. He will fit it up to sell or rent.” The house was purchased by James O. Brown, a local fisherman, in 1919. The following year Brown was appointed Kingsville’s Chief of Police, at a salary of $20 per month, and held that position for 12 years. James and his family moved to Windsor in 1934 when he became “a foreman in a Chrysler plant.” The Canadian National Institute for the Blind purchased this house in 1946 and it became the home of Earl Warren Green and his wife Maggie. Earl lost his sight in WWI, and became an instructor for the C.N.I.B. in Toronto before retiring to Kingsville.


In the appointment of Chief of Police considerable discussion took place. Mr. Loop thought a straight salary with pay for extras cut out was the most satisfactory method of dealing with this office. Mr. Salmoni asked Mr. Brown to define what he considered his duties as Chief of Police. Mr. Brown defined his position. He stated that he went on duty at 5 o’clock in the evening and quit at the same hour in the morning, that he was to see that law and order were preserved and that the bylaws of the town were lived up to. The extra that he got from business firms was not compulsory and that the business men understood this. The Mayor though the arrangement with the Chief of Police had worked out very nicely this year. Mr. Brown also stated that Leamington had been paying its Chief of Police extra for acting as night watch around business places, but he was informed this had been discontinued this year. There were no other applications for the position and it was moved by Cooper and Healey that J.O. Brown be Chief of Police for this year at a salary of $100 per month and $100 for the year for Sanitary Inspector and Truant officer. – Carried.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 11, 1923 p.1

[Earl] was on the Provost Marshal’s staff with Major Cartwright. Buried by shell while in action, Earl Green sustained injuries that robbed him of his sight [. . .]

Radio Commentator Claire Wallace recently made Earl Green the subject of his Toronto broadcasted program. He told listeners in detail how the blinded Green himself taught other sightless persons to get about without a guide. With Green’s patient tutelage they have learned to virtually “see” their way around town.

Standing six feet, five inches, this towering war veteran who was once an electrical worker, has been with the Canadian Institute for the blind for the past 10 years. In the past year he has trained 35 sightless persons, ranging in age from 24 to 84 years. One of this number was deaf as well as without sight. Of this number, 29 now get about Toronto at will and without guidance. The other six travel about their own neighborhood with ease.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 23, 1940 p.1

Earl W. Green Passes Suddenly

Earl W. Green, 67 years of age, died suddenly on Tuesday in Metropolitan Hospital, Windsor.

Deceased was born in Kingsville, son of the late George and Minnie Green. He served as corporal in the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifle Regiment, C.E.F. Was a life member of the Canadian Legion in Toronto and was formerly employed by the C.N.I.B. in Toronto.

His wide, Maggie, predeceased him in 1961. [. . .]

The town just won’t be the same with the passing of Earl Green. Earl, who was blind, was not only a special individual to our town, but travelled from coast to coast for years on behalf of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He proved, not only to the blind he taught, but also to us, who have natural eye-sight, that the handicaps of blindness can be overcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 22, 1962 p.1


The Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion of Kingsville has purchased in honor of Earl Green, an annual challenge trophy for cribbage, open to all active organizations in Kingsville

The Kingsville Reporter, March 14, 1968 p.2


Nellie Hagerman House (1917)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags:

102102 Division Street South

Nellie Scratch’s wedding to Earl Christopher Hagerman the morning of April 18th, 1910 was described as “quiet” and “brief but deeply impressive.”  The newlyweds left that evening for their new home in Doe Run, Missouri but came back to Kingsville for the birth of their daughter in
September 1911. Unfortunately, two years later, Earl left to go travelling: he married Jessie Pope in Jamestown, New York in 1914 and together they had a daughter born in Ohio, another daughter in Virginia and a son in the Republic of Panama. Nellie remained in Kingsville and was granted a divorce in Detroit in 1916. Elihu Scratch had this house built on the lot just south of his home for
his daughter Nellie and granddaughter Josephine in 1917, and they live here until Nellie married Dr. J.T. Hackett in 1930. After her father’s death in 1933, Nellie moved into his home at 98 Division Street South.


James Pearson has withdrawn the bill for divorce before the senate, as he regarded it as impossible to have it put through this session. [. . .] Nothing conduces to immorality and crime more than lax ideas concerning the marriage relation. Divorce laws are made by and for socialists, anarchists and their sympathizers, and the people of Canada should raise such a protest against the proposed act, that the government will think twice before giving it sanction. As the law stands now it costs a small fortune to obtain a divorce in Canada, and as the people who generally seek divorce here are wealthy debauchees we believe they should be made to pay still higher for their disgraceful conduct.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 20, 1896 p.4

For most of Canada’s first century adultery was virtually the only basis for divorce and, before WWI, only Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and BC had divorce courts, [. . .] In provinces without access to judicial divorce, the only alternative was an appeal to Parliament for a statutory divorce, an expensive process that limited access to the wealthy. The most common divorce alternatives were desertion, legal separation and divorce in an American jurisdiction which, though it had no legal force in Canada, seemed to satisfy public opinion.

The Canadian Parliament gave divorce jurisdiction to the Supreme Court of Ontario by virtue of the Divorce Act (Ontario) of 1930 [. . .]

Moreover the federal statute of 1930 was followed by an Ontario statute in 1931, which dealt with maintenance, alimony, property settlements, the custody of children, and rules of procedure, none of which were dealt with by the federal statute.

McGill Law Journal, 1967, Volume 13 Number 1 p.2

In 1968 Canada’s first unified divorce law was passed. At that time, divorce became easier to obtain, although considerable legal and other difficulties remained. Divorce could be obtained on the basis of a matrimonial offence (previously the only basis on which divorce was available) or on the basis of marriage breakdown.

Mrs. N. Hackett Succumbs at 94

Nellie Hackett (Scratch), late of Kingsville, passed away Friday, January 26, 1979, at Leamington Hospital, at the age of 94 years.

Wife of the late Dr. J.T. Hackett (1962); mother of Mrs. J.M. Powell (Josephine), Barrie, Ontario. Also survived by two grandsons, John, Waterloo; and Gary, Barrie, and five great-grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 31, 1979 p.3


Jasperson Building (1915)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

1414 Division Street South

By 1915, Bonzano Jasperson was definitely in need of a permanent office. At the age of 46, Bon had already been involved in private banking (until bought out by Molson’s Bank), ownership of grain warehouses (located at the Kingsville Train Station), canning factory and co-ownership of local lime kilns (with brother George), the Electric Light Plant (with David Conklin), tobacco factory (with Darius Wigle) and gas and oil fields with S.L. McKay. Partnering with local furniture maker and undertaker Charles Pearsall, Jasperson had this brick block built in 1915. When completed, Pearsall opened a jewellery store in the northern section and Bon kept his office above the southern storefront, which housed the customs office.

Struck a Good Thing

Mr. S L McKay received a telegram this week from the operators on a property at Cobalt in which he is interested, to the effect that a six inch vein of native silver and a vein of from one to three inches of wire silver had been opened up. The property is known as the Cobalt Contact, is two and a half miles from the town of Cobalt, in the township of Bucke. Mr. McKay, Messrs. Geo. and B. Jasperson and Mayor Wigle have a sixth interest in the property. There are other good properties all around the claim.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.4

Mr. B. Jasperson has purchased the lot on which stood the harness shop of the late Patrick Hart, on Division St., South, and will erect an office block upon it in the spring.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 18, 1915 p.5

The shop occupied by Chas. Pearsall west side of Division street has been moved across the street next to the lot just north of Mrs. Cooper’s residence on the lot owned by the C.W. Hendershot Co. Mr. Pearsall will join with Mr. Jasperson and put up a brick block on the site of the old building and will occupy the building on the east side of the street until the new block is ready.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1915 p.5


B. Jasperson Was Town Old-Timer

[. . .]Deceased was the son of the late Louis Jasperson and Nancy Jane Wigle. He was born in Kingsville, May 25th, 1869, and had resided here all his life.

Deceased was well loved by all who knew him. As a boy he helped his brother, George, clear timber in the Romney Township area. When a young man, he was a private banker in this town. He was keenly interested in the first electric light system in Kingsville which was later sold to the Detroit Edison Co.

Mr. Jasperson and other business associates were responsible for Canadian Canners in this town, and he and his brother George, were responsible for the Hodge Tobacco Co. He was also instrumental in the original distribution plant for natural gas in Kingsville, in fact, he was known in his pioneering in the gas and oil business with the late S.L. McKay, in the development of the Tilbury Gas and Oil Field. He was the oldest independent operator in that business.

In October, 1946, Mr and Mrs Jasperson celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Survivors are, his wife, formerly Gertrude Kent of Truro, N.S.; one daughter, Mrs. T.D. (Esther) Campbell; one son, Col. F.K. Jasperson, and four grandchildren, Anne and Jane Campbell and Bon Jr and John Jasperson.

Three brothers predeceased him many years ago, Hilton, Fred and George. Deceased was the last of that generation.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 6, 1947 p.1

1 2