Designated in 2006
In the spring of 1888, John Malott (son of “wharfinger” Capt. William J. Malott) decided to stop farming and go into “the pound fishing business.” With his wife Nora (Black) and infant daughter Ada, John moved from Pearl Street West to this home built for Robert Fleming in 1887. Robert moved to John’s house to be closer to his carriage business, and John moved closer to his pound nets in Lake Erie. By 1895, John had a second daughter (Christina) and changed occupations again, advertising as “John Malott, Baker & Confectioner.” Three years later, John sold his home and moved his family to Detroit where he became a carpenter and house builder. The next owner was William A. Smith, a local businessman and lawyer, who eventually became Town Clerk, Mayor of Kingsville (1910 to 1911), Reeve of Gosfield North (1913) and County Magistrate. Smith and his wife Evelyn had two sons: Austin, lawyer and M.P.P. for Essex South (1929-1934) and Lyndon, Rhodes Scholar and Anglican Minister in Toronto.
Other owners of this home include Charles (Robert) Gascoyne & Amelia Gascoyne and Orville (Leroy) & Olive Laramie.
R. Fleming having purchased a lot on Division street, is having the foundation of a very tasty house erected thereon.
Amherstburg Echo, September 23, 1887 p.6
Robert Fleming took advantage of the Queen’s Birthday, to commemorate the event by moving into his new house lately bought of John Malott, on Pearl street, west.
John Malott having sold his late residence on Pearl street west, has moved into the new building on Division street which he purchased from Robt. Fleming.
Amherstburg Echo, June 8, 1888 p.6
Mayor Smith and Ex-Mayor Wigle were in Chatham this week. It was generally remarked that Ex-Mayor Wigle looked fine in his new hat.
The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1911 p.5
While ex-Mayor Wigle’s new hat has been so much admired and has been drawing so much of the attention of others, Webb wishes to announce that the ex-Mayor’s hat was bought at his gents’ furnishing store where all good goods are for sale at right prices. Some think if Mayor Smith would turn down his pantaloons and wear a hat just like that of ex-Mayor Wigle’s the citizens of the town would think their white haired boy had developed into a man.
The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1911 p.5
Important Real Estate Deals
Mr. Sam Scratch put through several real estate deals last week, the first of which was trading his Duplex Appartment (sic) in Windsor, to Leroy Laramie for Mr. Laramie’s farm on the Ninth Concession, of Gosfield North. He then sold Mr. Laramie the Robert Gascoyne home on Division street south, Kingsville. He then sold the Laramie farm to his son-in-law, Earl Ryall of Olinda.
The business was all wound up in Windsor and there were no written agreements on any of the deals – something that the legal firm had never seen before, leading them to remark, that there were still men living who regarded their word equal to their bond.
The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1929 p.1
© 2012, KMHAC. All rights reserved.
On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.