Alexander J. Wigle House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , ,

111 Division Street South

Designated in 1987 as the Coda-Leach House

In 1883, after being in Kansas for a year, Alexander J. Wigle and his wife Elizabeth moved back to Canada. Before Kansas, A.J. had been a Gosfield South farmer. But when he moved to Kingsville, A.J. opened up a “mercantile business” on the north side of Main Street West. A.J. and Duchess (as Elizabeth was “affectionately known by the family and close friends”) had Thomas Jenner design this “gothic villa” brick house and it was completed in December 1884. When their daughter Grace was married in this home to Herman Woelz of Colorado, the house was called “Park Place.” Major renovations to this house were completed in 1915 and included an “English stairway” and a “French doorway.” A.J. and Duchess lived in this home together for 34 years. After A.J.’s death in 1918, Duchess moved to Colorado to live with family until her death in 1936.

Petty thieves are again at work in the village. Last Saturday night, the 2nd inst., or early on Sunday morning, Alex. Wigle lost 23 quart cans of fruit out of his cellar at his residence on Division street. An entrance was effected through the cellar window. Mr. W. says he does not mind the thief filling up on the fruit, but he thinks there has plenty of time elapsed in which to return the cans.

Amherstburg Echo, June 15, 1888 p.6

Passing of Alexander J. Wigle

After an illness lasting for over a year, during most of which time he was confined to his home, Alexander J. Wigle passed away on Saturday in the 68th year of his age. Deceased was the eldest son of the late Theodore Wigle and was born on the farm now owned by his younger brother, Nelson, on the lake front. On coming to manhood’s estate, he married in 1874 at Dayton, Ohio, Miss Elizabeth Dunn, of Cincinnati.

[. . .]  Mr. Wigle had been a Methodist for about forty-one years. He was one of the building committee on Epworth Methodist Church when that structure was built in 1893. He was also a member of the Kingsville Council for some nine years, and made an efficient member of the board. He leaves to mourn his demise a widow, one son and two daughters, as follows: Ed C., of Eaton, Colo.; Mrs. R.E. Shultz, of Detroit, and Mrs. Herman Woelz, of Longmont, Colo. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. E.W. Sandison, of Hollywood, Cal.; Mrs. Bisbing, of Detroit, and one brother, Nelson C., Gosfield South.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 21, 1918 p.4

Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle

[Longmont (Colo.) Times-Call, Dec. 5, 1936]

Funeral services for Mrs. Elizabeth Wigle, who passed away Wednesday evening in the home of her son, E.C. Wigle, at Windsor (Colo.), were held Saturday afternoon in the home of her daughter, here, Mrs. Herman Woelz.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle passed on as the result of a heart attack with which she was stricken Tuesday morning.

[ . . .] Mrs. Wigle was born in Lockland, Ohio, October 5, 1854. Since the death of her husband (Alex. J. Wigle, of Kingsville) in 1918, she had made her home with her children. She loved the West and its people, and for the past 15 years had spent most of her time at Windsor and Longmont.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 17, 1936 p.1


Frank Herrington House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

 167 Division Street South

On April 17th, 1884, James H. Smart and Dr. Sidney A. King purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. They paid $4,000 for the 47 acres from Mill Street East to Lake Erie, Division Street South to Lansdowne Avenue. The 47 acres were divided into building lots and new streets were planned called Maple, Myrtle, Prospect, Erie and Park. On April 18th, 1884, John’s son Frank Herrington purchased 2 lots in the new King & Smart subdivision and built a frame house that summer. Perhaps Frank received a special deal, because his lots had a depth of 2.5 chains (165 feet) while all the other lots along Division were only 2 chains (132 feet). Frank sold this home the following year to John S. Middough for $800, and later owners were: Thomas Bruner, Reuben B. Perkins, Heenan Bruner and Peter Bussey.

Dr. King and J.H. Smart have purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. We believe it is the intention of these gentleman to lay the property out into building lots.

Amherstburg Echo,  April 25, 1884 p.6

Frank Herrington has sold his residence to Mr. [Middough]. He intends erecting a cottage on Mill Street, which will be more convenient for his farming.

Amherstburg Echo, August 14, 1885 p.6


Mr. W.J. Swallow on Monday evening last at the meeting of the town council, laid before the board, a roughsketch of a new town subdivision which he will shortly have surveyed and placed on the market. The plot is the Frank Herrington farm east side of Lansdowne Ave. There will be some 80 lots. Blue prints of the property will soon be prepared. The property is a valuable one and will give those desiring lots a chance to get one fairly close inside at very reasonable prices. The council accepted the plan and assured Mr. Swallow that they were in sympathy with the enterprise.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1922 p.1

Franklin Herrington

On Tuesday evening last, following a paralytic stroke of a few days previous, Franklin Herrington paased away in the 71st year of his age.

Mr. Herrington was born in the Kingsville on what was then the Herrington homestead at about the point where now stands the Mettawas Inn. He was the son of John and Sarah Herrington. He had followed farming all his life. Owing to the rapid expansion of Kingsville, the Herrington farm had been narrowed down to a few acres on Lansdowne avenue, which a few years ago was subdivided, leaving Mr. Herrington without a farm. Since then he and Mrs. Herrington have been living quietly at their home on Mill street east. He leaves a widow, one daughter, Mrs. Mervyn Swallow, Kingsville; on brother, Gordon, of Jacksonville, Fla., and one sister, Mrs. A.E. Malott, town.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 27, 1931 p.1


Miss Hattie Ellison House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: ,

144 Division Street South

In 1883, Robert Ellison of North Ridge sold his 150 acre farm for $8,800 and decided to retire to Kingsville. He bought this house on Division Street South, built by Simon Wigle in 1882, for $1,000. Robert, his wife Anne and daughter Harriet lived in this home until their new, larger brick house was built on Division Street North in 1887. Used as a rental income property, this home was known as the “Miss Hattie Ellison house” since Harriet remained single until she married Charles A. Quick when she was 71 years old.

George Miner purchased this home from Hattie in 1913 for $1,200 and added the “verandah” the following year. Later owners of this house include William Humphries and Ina & Everett Arner.

Simon Wigle is building a fine looking house on the west side of Division Road near the lake. This part of the municipality is destined to be soon filled with private residences. By the way, there is ample room for a mammoth hotel in that part of the town, and there is money in the speculation too.

Amherstburg Echo, October 13, 1882 p.6

Recently, Mr. Ellison, a retired wealthy farmer determined to end his days in Kingsville. In order to settle here comfortably he determined to build a fine brick house, but, in the meantime, he bought a frame house from Simon Wigle and brought several loads of furniture intending to take possession at once and become a resident. To his surprise he could not get possession, as Mrs. Wigle claimed a life lease on the property and would not give up possession. In his disgust Mr. E. left Kingsville, shaking its dust off his fee. He intends to reside now in Windsor.

Amherstburg Echo, August 24, 1883 p.6


James W. King House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , , ,

86 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

James Workman King was the oldest child of Col. James King, after whom Kingsville was named. Born in Michigan in 1835, he came to Gosfield with his mother and father as an infant. He attended high school in Port Clinton, Ohio where he met his future wife, Harriet Smith. In 1881 James hired his father-in-law, Sylvester Smith, to oversee the construction of his new brick residence which was completed the following year. Local craftsmen who worked on the house included Messrs. Bruner, Davey and Brimner. James and Harriet had six children: Fannie, James, Angeline, Gertrude, Mabel and Abby and they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at this home in 1911. Harriet died in 1912 and James followed her two years later. The Kingsville Public School Board purchased this home from Angeline in 1921 to be used as a high school, but sold it a few months later to Albert Eastman, Manager of the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Railway.

The Passing of Mrs. James W. King

The many friends here of Mrs. Jas. W. King were greatly shocked to hear of her unexpected death at the residence of her daughter in Walkerville, on Friday, Sept. 6th. [. . .]

The deceased was lady of a singularly sweet and lovable disposition with a heart overflowing with warm affection for those in trouble or who needed a mother’s care. Her hospitable door was always open and she seemed never so happy as when her friends were enjoying with her the happiness of her home. For over fifty years she and beloved husband, now left to mourn her loss, lived an ideally happy married life.

Bereft in the evening of life of his life companion, our hearts go out in sympathy not only to the family but particularly to the husband whose loss is irreparable.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1912 p.1

The Late Jas. W. King

James Workman King, after an illness extending over nearly two years, passed away at his home here on June 9th last. Deceased, a couple of years ago, suffered a paralytic stroke, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. He was able to sit up and be taken around in a wheel chair and was only confined to his bed a few days before his demise.

Mr. King was a son of the late Col. King, and was born at White Pigeon, Mich., Nov. 10th, 1835. Col. King moved to this place when James was young, and formed the nucleus of what is now the town of Kingsville. [. . .] He was a man of sprightly disposition, loved the company of his fellows, and in latter years was an enthusiastic bowler, member fo the Kingsville Bowling Club, and during his illness, was frequently wheeled up the green where he could watch the game. He was a member of the church of England and a faithful attendant up to the time of his sudden illness.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 18, 1914 p.1


Ira &#38 Clarissa Loop House (1880)


Categories: 1880s, Tags: ,

116 Division Street South

Ira Loop, local fisherman, married Clarissa Geauvreau on New Year’s Eve 1868. The following May, they purchased a vacant lot on Division Street South from Lucinda Stewart for $55 and built a small house. By 1880, Ira and Clarissa had four children (Minnie, Gordon, Cecelia and Urias) and were able to have this home built, which increased their property assessment from $300 to $800. According to the the 1881 Census, the Loops had a ‘dwelling’ and a ‘shanty’ on their property. In addition to building boats and fishing with his brothers, Ira also owned a lime kiln in the 1880s and ran a billiards hall in the 1900s. Ira died of cancer in 1908 at the age of 62 and Clarissa remained in their home until her death in 1922.


One of those happy events that seem so appropriate at this time of the year when all are expected to be happy and to make others happy, occurred at the home of Mr. Ira Loop, on Division st., on Tuesday last, when Miss Minnie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Loop was united in marriage with Mr. John P. Schoenberger, of Mercersburg, Pa.

A large number of guest, relatives and friends of the bride were present and although a tinge of sadness at the thought of parting was apparent in all, yet each helped to make the occasion as merry as a marriage bell.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 8, 1893 p.8


A very pretty matrimonial event took place at the residence of Mr. Ira Loop on Tuesday, 22nd inst., at 3 p.m., when his daughter, Cecelia, was united in holy bonds to Mr. Leroy C. Middough, son of J.S. Middough, of this town, but now of Cleveland, Ohio.

Miss Anna Wigle was bridesmaid, while W___ Clifford acted as best man.

The bride looked charming in a dress of cream mohair, trimmed in cream satin. The bridemaid’s attire was similar – cream henrietta, trimmed in cream satin. Both wore wreaths of smilax and roses.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Medd, of Ruthven, who has won a good reputation in this line of his profession, and was witnessed by about fifty guests, – young friends and relatives of the contracting parties.

After the knot had been tied hard and fast, and the company had got settled down after congratulations, &c., lunch was served.

The presents would make a long list and were both useful and costly.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 25, 1896 p.4

1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18