Norman P. Lockwood House (1880)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: ,

77 Division Street South

In 1880, bailiff George Malott built a 1 & 1\2-storey building on the southeast corner of Pearl and Division streets to be used by the Kingsville Cavalry Troop as an armoury. The building was purchased in 1888 by D.H. Terry and remodelled into a photography studio. Other photographers to use this building were F.R. Luckham, F.G. Westlake and G.N. Arnold. By 1903, the building was no longer used as a photo gallery and was rented by Theodore Kittle for his shoe shop. The following year, the property was sold to Forest Malott (George’s son) and Curtis Green purchased the building. In April 1904, Green moved to the building to its present location (at 77 Division Street South) and it became the Chamberlain Metal Weather Strip factory. When Green built a new factory on the corner of Maple and Lansdowne in 1921, he sold this property to Norman P. Lockwood, President of Hodge Tobacco Company, who converted the building into a private residence.

15 Aug 1921 DEED from Curtis J. Green to Norman P. Lockwood:

Together with the right to use as a private road a strip of land four feet wide adjoining said land on the north side

This conveyance is subject to the following building conditions:

1. No building other than a dwelling house and private garage which when erected shall be of a value of $5000, or more shall be erected on said land at any time

2. The work of erecting such building shall be commenced within 12 months

RESERVING to the grantor the right to leave his building now upon the said land in its present position until the first day of October 1921 after which date he covenants to remove it upon receiving 30 days’ notice from grantee so to do.


Plan of Kingsville (1850)

No comments yet

Categories: Maps & Plans - 1850s, Tags: , ,

Plan of the Town of Kingsville

as Surveyed and laid off by John A. Wilkinson, Deputy Surveyor

Sandwich 29th Jan’y 1850

To prepare for application for Kingsville to receive a post office, an official plan for the ‘town’ had to be surveyed. Division Line was the boundary between Andrew Stewart’s lot and Richard Herrington’s. Together with Col. James King, Stewart and Herrington laid out building lots from Mill Street north to Water Street and Prince Albert Street east to Spruce Street.

Except for the northeast corner of Pearl Street and Division Street South, all the building lots on Division Street South faced Main Street, Pearl Street and Mill Street.

The lots were measured using ‘chain’ and ‘link’ units. One ‘chain’ equals 66 feet and one ‘link’ is .66 feet. Main and Division streets are a full one chain in width while the side streets are .75 chain (or 75 links or 49.5 feet).  Most of the building lots were 1.25 by 2 chains (82.5 by 132 feet).

According to the plan, the lots were marked with “stone & c” which stands for “stone and crockery.” As described in 1891’s A Manual of Land Surveying by F. Hodgman and C.F.R. Bellows:

If a rough stone or boulder is used for a monument, it should either be so large as not to be moved by any ordinary accident or so firmly imbedded in the earth as to defy the plow or the road maker. If of a kind common in the vicinity, it should be very plainly marked and have some foreign material like brick, iron, glass, or crockery imbedded around it, to identify it by.


Canfield-Hellems House (1872)


Categories: 1870s, Tags: , , , , ,

Corner of Division St S and Mill St W

Designated in 2008

This Gothic Revival house, built in 1872, has seen many changes over the years. David Wesley Canfield, a successful businessman and lumberman purchased the land in 1870 and two years later had the home built. With his brothers Rial and Nicholas, Canfield’s many business interests in Kingsville included the Canfield Dock, pump factory, freight depot, lumberyard and saw mill on the east side of Division Street South. D.W. Canfield was also Councillor for the Village of Kingsville in 1880. Upon retirement, the Canfields left Kingsville for St. Louis Missouri and sold this property to William H. Hellems in 1895. Hellems was the publisher of the Kingsville Reporter from 1893 to 1935. His three daughters remained in the home until the last sister died in 1972.

Greatly Improved Appearance

The alterations which have been going on in the home of Mr. Hellms (sic) corner Mill Division Sts since the middle of June are completed and many have been the expressions of admiration over the result. The new porches at front and side were planned by Mr. Albert Wood of Detroit, who has a summer home just opposite the park here. He also chose the color of paint used and assisted the painter to mix it until the proper soft French grey shade was secured. The additions made by the carpenters harmonize with the original building, which is English in style. It is the only house in town of this particular design. The entire work is eminently satisfactory, and only emphasizes the fact that in the building of a home, an architect should be called in order that when the structure is completed, it may not be a blot on the landscape. Mr. Wood is an artist in his line.

The carpenter work was done by Mr. Willard Nichol with the assistance of his helpers, Messrs. Bottom and Cooper. The cement work was put in by Ernest Cox. The steps to porches by Orley Rumball. The brick work by Woodiwiss Bros. The tin work by C.C. Harris and the painting by Al Ford. All has been executed in the first class manner. The lumber was furnished by Conklin Planing Mills, which is a sufficient guarantee of its excellence and prompt delivery.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 13, 1925 p.1

1 2 14 15 16 17 18