Jack & Iona Allen House (1961)

No comments yet

Categories: 1960s

237237 Division Street South

Jack and Iona Allen both retired in 1967, six years after having this home built. Jack had worked for
the Conklin Planing Mill for 42 years, and Iona owned Allen’s Ladies and Children’s Wear for 18 years. The year after their retirement, both Allens were founding members of the Friendly Club, a Seniors group that used to meet at the Kingsville Lions Hall but now gathers at the Unico Community Centre. In 1984, Jack and Iona were named Senior Citizens of the Year by the Friendly Club, and it was also the year the Allens celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.

“Friendly Club” Now Formed

The Senior Citizens of Kingsville, now known as the “Friendly Club” meet at Lions Club Recreation Centre every Tuesday and Frday [sic] at 1:30 p.m., euchre, bridge and cribbage being enjoyed, followed by refreshments. There is no membership fee. All are welcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 26, 1968 p.1

Mrs. Jack Allen Receives Lodge Degree in Toronto

Mrs. Jack Allen was the recipient of a Degree of Chivalry at a special ceremony on Saturday evening, Sept. 28th in Toronto conferred by the Department Commander of the Patriarchs Militant, uniformed branch of the Independent Order of Oddfellows. The Decoration of Chivalry ceremony honored 28 members of Rebekah Lodges in Ontario.

The impressive ceremony was held at the new Toronto Secondary School, preceded by a dinner at the Lorraine Rebekah Lodge Hall. Approximately 1000 attended the evening’s program.

The Degree of Chivalry is awarded a member of the Rebekah Lodge for meritorious efforts in the community. The Decoration of Chivalry was bestowed upon Mrs. Allen for her devoted endeavours in the community to the needs of others through the church, the lodge and as a good citizen. Mrs. Allen has been a member of Lily Rebekah Lodge No. 49, Kingsville for the past 30 years and is a Past District Deputy President.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 3, 1974 p.1

At a meeting of the Friendly Club on May 29th, at the Lions Club Hall, Jack and Iona Allen were named Senior Citizens of the Year. Althea Scratch and Claude Dafoe former Senior Citizens of the Year honoured the couple with a corsage and boutonniere.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1984 p.8

Mr. and Mrs. Jack Allen will be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary on November 1st. Jack and Iona (Buchanan) were married in Sandwich on November 1st, 1924. Jack was born and raised in Kingsville and Iona has resided in Kingsville for 63 years. Jack was an employee of Conklin Planing Mill for 42 years, retiring in 1967. Iona owned and operated Allen’s Ladies and Childrens Wear for 18 years. The business was sold in 1967. They have three children Ray of Kingsville, Jacqueline (Mrs. Max Small) of Windsor and Jim of Kingsville. There are 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 24, 1984 p.3


Adam & Katharina Binder House (1960)

No comments yet

Categories: 1960s

168168 Division Street South

According to Canadian Social Trends magazine: “Between 1946 and 1950, over 430,000 immigrants arrived [in Canada], exceeding the total number admitted in the previous 15 years. The immediate post-war immigration boom included the dependents of Canadian servicemen who had married abroad, refugees, and people seeking economic opportunities in Canada.” Adam Binder, his wife Katharina and their seven children emigrated to Canada from Yugoslavia in 1948. Working as a farmer and tinsmith, Adam was able to have this home built in 1960 and in 1973, Adam and Katharina celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.


The announcement that the British Government may take steps to import thousands of foreign workers – perhaps half a million – to ease the present labor shortage may doom to failure any Canadian immigration plan unless our authorities act quickly. Some of the other dominions, Australia especially, and many of the colonies already have schemes in operation, and now, with Britain about to seek Europeans, most of the desirable immigrants will be attracted elsewhere by the time Canada gets started.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 6, 1947 p.2

Immigration to Canada Increased

Immigration to Canada during October of this year showed an increase of 87 per cent over the influx of new citizens during the same month a year ago according to latest statistics released by the Immigration Branch of the Department of Mines and resources.

Total immigration for the month was 8,941, as compared to the figure of 4,760 for October, 1946. Worthy of note was a rise of 2,491 in the total of immigrants from the British Isles, this year’s October total being 5,231, as against 2,740 for the corresponding month a year ago.

Apart from the British Isles, the total for European races was 2,696, an increase of 1,773 over the October, 1946, total of 923.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 8, 1948 p.2

Immigration Centres

The Government has reported that Canada has now on the European continent five immigration centres at which there are regular immigration officers and nine where immigration matters are attended to by officers of the Department of External Affairs attached to Canadian missions, with the former being at Paris, Brussels, The Hague, Rome, and Heidelberg, Germany, which is the headquarters for the Canadian mission directing the work of teams selecting and examining displace persons in Germany and Austria.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 4, 1948 p.2

Steady Stream of Air Immigrants

Since June, 1948, nearly 4,000 new Canadians have arrived at Montreal and Toronto, aboard Trans-Canada Air Lines “North Stars”, under the Canadian Government air immigration plan. This number comprises 3,515 adults and 481 children. 198 flights out of the planned 251 have been flown. Many of the people coming out now are the wives and children of men who were aboard earlier flights who have since found work and homes across the breadth of the Dominion.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 30, 1948 p.6

Adam Binder Passes at 84

Adam was born in Neu Pasua, Yugoslavia. The son of Johann and Katharina Flohr Binder. He was baptized in the Lutheran Church in Neu Pasua on August 15, 1904. He was confirmed in Neu Pasua in 1916. He was united in marriage with Katharina Keuhfuss on April 8, 1923. The Lord blessed Adam and Katharina with seven children.

Adam was a miller by trade in Yugoslavia. In August of 1948 the family emigrated to Canada, where Adam has worked as a farmer and tin-smith. The family became members of First Lutheran Church in 1948. Adam was an active member of the church and served on the Church Board. He was also a member of the Rhine Danube.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 24, 1989 p.3


Colin C. & Dorothy Quick House (1954)

No comments yet

Categories: 1950s, Tags:

277277 Division Street South

Colin Cornelius (Neil) Quick, an electrical contractor, had this home built in 1954. That was also the year Kingsville was “changed over” from 25 to 60-cycle frequency by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. The previous year hydro employees spent a week in Kingsville, going house to house, taking inventory of all “frequency sensitive equipment.” The estimate for the changeover was 3,700 appliances: “including approximately 850 washing machines, nearly 600 refrigerators and 350 record players.” During the 2-week changeover in April 1954, hydro crews visited every
home with replacement parts to adapt appliances to operate at the higher frequency. A special “Clock and Fan Depot” was set up on Main Street West to exchange older clocks and fans that couldn’t be converted.

Kingsville is to be invaded on April 19. But it will be a peaceful invasion with the white-overalled army infiltrating into the town at 8 o’clock each morning and retiring in good order at 4:30 p.m. The invaders will arrive in a fleet of red trucks, from which their crews will dismount armed with metal containers of various shapes and sizes.

Townspeople, however, may breathe freely, for the red trucks will bear the familiar insignia of the Ontario Hydro Commission, and the crews’ metal containers will hold only peaceful tools.

Cause of the invasion is change-over from 25 to 60-cycle frequency in Kingsville.

Details Noted

This descent upon the town by this army will not come altogether as a surprise, because citizens will remember the reconnaissance patrols who came last year and went into every house, store, office and factory, noting in large books the details of every piece of frequency sensitive equipment, from the washing machine found in nearly every basement to the calculating machines in the banks.

During this operation, which has been timed with military precision to be completed in 12 working days. Hydro crews will change over for domestic customers an estimated 3,700 appliances. These will include approximately 850 washing machines, nearly 600 refrigerators and 350 record players. In addition, some 650 clocks and 200 fans will either be standardized or exchanged for new 60-cycle models.

The invaders’ heavy transport will deliver to each home on the morning of changeover day the replacement parts needed for appliances to operate at the higher frequency. Outside homes on the street being “cut over” will be seen crates containing 60-cycle refrigerator units, while in boxes there will usually be motors and pulleys for washing machines and parts for other appliances.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 4, 1954 p.1

Even a Hydro changeover has its humor. We are told that in every town there is a small percentage of consumers that can’t see any advantage in 60 cycle. They maintain that if the flickering 25-cycle lights were good enough for their grandparents, they are good enough for them.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 22, 1954 p.1

For the information of those who are curious, there are over 100 Hydro trucks in town at present and between 250 and 300 workers. One of the outstanding features of the “changeover” is the courtesy shown by the workmen both in homes and places of business.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1954 p.1

C.C. Quick Passes at 80

Colin C (Neil) Quick, age 80 years, passed away Sunday, July 23, 1989 at Leamington District Memorial Hospital. Late of Leamington and formerly of Kingsville.

Beloved husband of Dorothy R. (nee Leach). Dear father of Robert M. Quick and wife, Diane, Rochester Hills, Mich, and Margaret A. Baltzer and fiancé Jay Ardiel, Leamington. Dear grandfather of Deborah and Jennifer Quick of Rochester Hills, Mich., and Kimberly A. Baltzer, Leamington.

[. . .] Mr. Quick was an electrical contractor for 25 years in the Kingsville area.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 25, 1989 p.3


Sterling & Shirley Gee House (1953)

No comments yet

Categories: 1950s

137137 Division Street South

On January 22nd 1953, the Kingsville Reporter wrote: “Today was “D-Day” for Kingsville.” The newspaper was describing the town’s conversion from magneto to a dial telephone system. Preparation for the conversion was a year in the making, 1,500 new dial telephones having to be installed in homes and businesses in the Kingsville area. A directory supplement had been mailed to
all subscribers with dialing instructions, giving the example: “a typical number, Regent 3-9999 is dialed RE 3-9999.” The following day, the business office was transferred to the new exchange building on Main Street West. Sterling Gee, who had this house built in 1953, was a Ford-Monarch used car salesman and his business telephone number at Sanford’s Service Station was RE 3-4252.

Mr. JH Smart is putting a telephone in his office, and Mr. D. Conklin is having one placed between his mill and his house, and other business men will put in phones in a short time.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1894 p.5

It costs $1.40 to talk with London, Ont., for six minutes over the phone.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 16, 1901 p.5

The Bell Telephone people are connecting up the underground cables at the corners of Main and Division Streets. When completed the cables and wires together with poles at the corners will come down which will make a great difference in the appearance of the street.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 15, 1923 p.5

Kingsville Converted to Dial Telephone System in Seconds

[. . .] The new dial system which took well over a year to engineer and construct, was placed in operation in a matter of seconds.

[. . .] The actual conversion was carried out by a team of about 10 Bell employees working with split-second timing. The main centres of activity were the new exchange building on Main street west and the manual exchange on Division street north.

Everything was ready in advance, thanks to the extensive preparatory work during the past year. The new building had been constructed and equipped, telephone lines had been extended and rearranged to connect with the dial equipment in the new building as well as the switchboard in the manual office. New dial telephones had been installed in all home and businesses.

[. . .] The work of removing the magneto telephones from all homes and businesses also started right after the conversion and will be completed within about two weeks.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1953 p.1

Most of Local Operators to Go To Leamington

[. . .] Mrs Mildred Donaghy, night operator for nearly 25 years, is retiring on pension. Mrs Donaghy started with the company on May 1, 1928, and recalls when the switchboard was located in the old Main street office, on the property where the Greyhound bus depot is now situated.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1953 p.1


Dr. C.M. & Leila Keillor House (1952)

No comments yet

Categories: 1950s

317317 Division Street South

Shortly after graduating medical school at the University of Western Ontario in 1914, Dr. Clifford M. Keillor enlisted to serve in the First World War. Keillor came back from the War with the rank of Major, and married Leila Huntley on September 18th, 1918 in Wingham, Ontario. For a short time,
Clifford had a practice in Kingsville, living near his friend and fellow War Vet Dr. T.D. Campbell. But in the 1920s, the Keillors move to Ottawa where Dr. Keillor served as head of the Canadian Pension Board, Medical Advisor during WWII and later Commissioner of Veterans Affairs. Clifford and Leila moved to their newly built house in Kingsville in 1952 and Dr. Keillor became Medical Administrator in a Windsor hospital until his retirement in 1960.

Dr. Keillor, a returned man who served with the Imperial forces, has opened an office in Kingsville.

Essex Free Press, September 17, 1920 p.7

House guests at the Tally Ho during the past few weeks were [. . .] Dr. and Mrs. C. Keillor [. . .]

The Kingsville Reporter, August 9, 1951 p.3

Dr. C.M. Keillor was appointed medical assistant to Dr. John M. Nettleton, medical superintendent of East Windsor Hospital.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 31, 1953 p.1

Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Murray are residing on Division St. South in the home they purchased from Dr. and Mrs. C.M. Keillor. Mr. Murrary is head of the History Department at the Essex District High School.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 9, 1964 p.3

Dr. Clifford M. Keillor died on March 14, 1973 at Ottawa at the age of 82.

Dr. Keillor was born at Wallacetown, Ontario on June 11, 1891. He graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1914 and interned at the Homewood Sanitarium of Guelph. From 1915 to 1918 he served with the Surrey Rifles of England in the Far East and was discharged with rank of Major. During World War II he served for two years at Medical Headquarters in Ottawa.

He was Medical Advisor and later Commissioner of Veterans Affairs in Ottawa until 1952, then until his retirement in 1960 served as Medical Administrator of Riverside Hospital in Windsor.

Dr. Keillor is survived by his widow Leila, one daughter, one son and three grandchildren.

Canadian Medical Association Journal, Vol. 108, 23 July, 1973 p.1543

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18