Tag Archives: Brown


Donald Taggart House (1950)

1 comment

Categories: 1950s, Tags: , , ,

141141 Division Street South

When J.H. Smart, with his partner Dr. S.A. King, divided the 44 acres on the east side of Division Street South into building lots, he left himself over 3 acres surrounding his house. Construction of Smart’s 2 1/2 storey home, made of “white brick” and building stone from Pelee Island, took two years and was completed in 1880. Seventy years later, the house was owned by Donald Taggart and was home to four families consisting of seventeen people. In February 1950, the house was destroyed by fire, started by outdated gas heating. Within two weeks of the fire, Taggart purchased a house on Chestnut Street and moved it in front of his ruined home. The house was purchased by Ewald and Frieda Erdmann in 1953, shortly after their immigration from Poland.

The schooner Active brought a load of building stone from Pelee Island, for JH Smart, on Saturday, the 13th.

Amherstburg Echo, April 26, 1878 p.6

Work on Mr. Smart’s residence is being rapidly pushed forward. There are 12 men working on it at the present time, two from Windsor, five from Detroit, and the remainder from Kingsville.

Amherstburg Echo, August 27, 1880 p.6

J.H. Smart dies at Bronte

James Haley Smart first Reeve of Kingsville and a resident of the town for 60 years, died in Bronte, 20 miles from Toronto last Friday after a lengthy illness. He was 93.

He first came to Kingsville in 1870 and bought out the general store business of James King, Jr. In 1872 he was appointed postmaster and was later magistrate of the town and police magistrate. In the year 1877 he built on the corner of Main and Division streets a large brick store, three stories high which he ran for years.

When Kingsville was incorporated he became its first reeve, remaining in that office for eight years. After many years as postmaster he was succeeded by E.A. Brown.

Mr. Smart operated a private bank in his store building as well as in the post office. He discontinued his banking work as well as the post office, sold out his store and entered the commission business handling all kinds of farm produce, until age led him to retire.

Mr. Smart was twice married, and both wives predeceased him. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Fred DeJean, of Bronte, and Mrs. Morley Williams, Ottawa.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 21, 1938 p.5


Four families consisting of 17 persons were left homeless when fire late Saturday night completely gutted the house owned by Donald Taggart on Division Street South.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 2, 1950 p.2

Don Taggart has begun work on his new home, on the lot just in front of his former home, having purchased the home formerly occupied by Clive Waterworth and family, now of Leamington.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 9, 1950 p.3


William & Kate Fleming House (1902)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , ,

172 Division Street South

William Fleming (1864-1916) packed a lot of living in his 52 years. Originally trained as a blacksmith with his brother Robert, William began laying pipe for the Ontario Gas Company and later became manager of the Beaver Oil & Gas Company. It was during his time as manager that William branched out into the real estate business, building this home in 1902 as his primary residence and two rental houses on Division St. S. in 1908. Together with Arthur Brown, William sold Ford automobiles from their garage on Division St. N. and with Oliver Fox, purchased and renovated the Grovedale Hotel. William was married to Kate Cooper and they raised two daughters, Ethel and Nina, one son, Ernest and Kate’s niece Grace Girty. During the building of this home, 17-year-old Ernest went “missing” for a few months and came home a Trooper with the Canadian Mounted Rifles, after stowing away on a ship bound for South Africa.


Ernest Fleming Returned Home After Long Absence.

He Shipped to Africa as a Stow-way and Took to Soldiery.

Ernest Fleming, whose prolonged absence had caused his parents no little anxiety, returned to Windsor last night in the uniform of a trooper of the Canadian Mounted Rifles. Last May he left home without intimating where he intended to go. He took a trip to the Soo and then departed for Halifax, where he became a stowaway on one of the transport ships leaving for South Africa. After remaining under cover for six days he made his presence known and offered his services. He was given his uniform and accountrements.

After landing in Capetown the Canadian Mounted Rifles were sent to the front. They reached Newcastle before peace terms were signed and the war ended. During all the time he was away Trooper Fleming did not write his parents.

Trooper Fleming was accompanied on the return trip by Charles Chase of Essex and James Gillian of Amherstburg. The latter brought home a South African monkey which he purchased in Durban for three “quid,” or $15.

The Windsor Evening Record, August 2, 1902 p.1

Messrs Wm. Fleming and Arthur Brown are opening a garage on Division st. just north of the post office in the building formerly used by W.E. DeLong as an implement room. They are handling the Ford Auto, an excellent machine which is rapidly advancing in the public favor. The Ford Co. are planning to build fifty thousand machines this year.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 11, 1912 p.4


This house, which has always had a reputation for its excellent table board, was purchased last spring by Messrs. Fleming & Fox. The transformation these gentlemen have made in the house and grounds is a surprise to all who knew the house of old. To-day it is a modern hotel in every sense of the word; spic and span in every appointment. Cool shady verandahs, something over a hundred feet, for the enjoyment of the guests; good bathing grounds, a well of excellent mineral water, and one of the prettiest maples groves to be found anywhere, combine to make an excellent place for a few days rest, or a permanent boarding place. Since the house opened it has been well filled, every room is at present occupied and applications from others are coming in daily. It is the intention of the proprietors to erect a large addition to the house next season, which will make it still more attractive to summer resorters.

We have no hesitation in saying that Kingsville to-day has the best hotel service of any town of its size in Canada, notwithstanding the calamity howlers, who said our hotels would all close for want of support when we got local option. People flock here to respectable hotels to get away from those places that still run open bars. In this enlightened day it is service the better class of people is after, not booze, and they are willing to pay for it. Every municipality in this fair province, whether wet or dry, will now have to take its hat off to Kingsville when it comes to hotel service.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 20, 1914 p.1


Mrs. Kate Fleming, widow of the later William Fleming, of this town, died quite suddenly in Windsor on Monday last, aged 70 years. [. . .] Mrs. Fleming is survived by her daughters, the Misses Ethel and Nina, of Windsor, and one son, Ernest, of Stockdale, Calif.; two grandchildren, Mrs. Nuchols and Mrs. H. McCallum, of California.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 21, 1937 p.1