Tag Archives: Bruner


Fraser & Caroline Westcott House (1891)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

261 Division Street South

Dr. William H. Drake was a very prominent physician in Kingsville from 1856 until his retirement to Windsor in 1894. In 1891, Dr. Drake has this “summer residence” built but never actually lived in it. As soon as it was completed, private banker Fraser Westcott and his wife Caroline moved in and remained in this home for nine years. Caroline A. Westcott was an accomplished musician and composer of several published songs including “Essex Heroes,” “Our Queen” and “Mettawas Waltzes.” In 1899, Molson’s Bank purchased Westcott’s Bank and the Westcotts bought the house next door, on the corner of Division and Erie, which no longer stands. That same year, Dr. Drake sold this house to George and Marian Henry but it was a later owner, Heenan Bruner, who added the verandahs in 1922.

Mrs. F. Westcott, author of the Mettawas Waltzes has just had published another piece of music set to the words of that lovely hymn, “Jesus Lover of My Soul.” Musical critics speak very highly of this, Mrs. Westcott’s latest production, and it bids fair to become, if anything, more popular than the Mettawas Waltzes. On sale at Leggett’s.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 15, 1895 p.5

Branch of Molson’s Bank Established in Kingsville

On Friday evening last Mr. Thompson, manager of the Ridgetown Branch Molsons Bank, arrived in town, and inside of a couple of hours had decided to open a branch of the Molsons in this place. He at once got out his advertising matter and announced his intention to the public. It was first intended to occupy the DeJean block, but subsequently arrangements were made to absorb Westcott’s private bank, and use the premises occupied by that gentleman.

On Tuesday evening Mr. H.A. Barrier, head office accountant from Montreal, arrived in town and completed the arrangements made by Mr. Thompson, and the bank opened for business today. [. . .] Mr. F. Westcott has secured the position of accountant in the new business, which will be gratifying to his numerous friends here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1899 p.4

Heenan Bruner is adding very much to the appearance of his home on Division St., by building verandas in front and at the side of the residence. The front is 12×30 and the side 6×30, all enclosed with glass and screened for the summer.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 31, 1922 p.5


Frank Herrington House (1884)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

 167 Division Street South

On April 17th, 1884, James H. Smart and Dr. Sidney A. King purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. They paid $4,000 for the 47 acres from Mill Street East to Lake Erie, Division Street South to Lansdowne Avenue. The 47 acres were divided into building lots and new streets were planned called Maple, Myrtle, Prospect, Erie and Park. On April 18th, 1884, John’s son Frank Herrington purchased 2 lots in the new King & Smart subdivision and built a frame house that summer. Perhaps Frank received a special deal, because his lots had a depth of 2.5 chains (165 feet) while all the other lots along Division were only 2 chains (132 feet). Frank sold this home the following year to John S. Middough for $800, and later owners were: Thomas Bruner, Reuben B. Perkins, Heenan Bruner and Peter Bussey.

Dr. King and J.H. Smart have purchased the west half of John Herrington’s farm. We believe it is the intention of these gentleman to lay the property out into building lots.

Amherstburg Echo,  April 25, 1884 p.6

Frank Herrington has sold his residence to Mr. [Middough]. He intends erecting a cottage on Mill Street, which will be more convenient for his farming.

Amherstburg Echo, August 14, 1885 p.6


Mr. W.J. Swallow on Monday evening last at the meeting of the town council, laid before the board, a roughsketch of a new town subdivision which he will shortly have surveyed and placed on the market. The plot is the Frank Herrington farm east side of Lansdowne Ave. There will be some 80 lots. Blue prints of the property will soon be prepared. The property is a valuable one and will give those desiring lots a chance to get one fairly close inside at very reasonable prices. The council accepted the plan and assured Mr. Swallow that they were in sympathy with the enterprise.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1922 p.1

Franklin Herrington

On Tuesday evening last, following a paralytic stroke of a few days previous, Franklin Herrington paased away in the 71st year of his age.

Mr. Herrington was born in the Kingsville on what was then the Herrington homestead at about the point where now stands the Mettawas Inn. He was the son of John and Sarah Herrington. He had followed farming all his life. Owing to the rapid expansion of Kingsville, the Herrington farm had been narrowed down to a few acres on Lansdowne avenue, which a few years ago was subdivided, leaving Mr. Herrington without a farm. Since then he and Mrs. Herrington have been living quietly at their home on Mill street east. He leaves a widow, one daughter, Mrs. Mervyn Swallow, Kingsville; on brother, Gordon, of Jacksonville, Fla., and one sister, Mrs. A.E. Malott, town.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 27, 1931 p.1


James W. King House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , , ,

86 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

James Workman King was the oldest child of Col. James King, after whom Kingsville was named. Born in Michigan in 1835, he came to Gosfield with his mother and father as an infant. He attended high school in Port Clinton, Ohio where he met his future wife, Harriet Smith. In 1881 James hired his father-in-law, Sylvester Smith, to oversee the construction of his new brick residence which was completed the following year. Local craftsmen who worked on the house included Messrs. Bruner, Davey and Brimner. James and Harriet had six children: Fannie, James, Angeline, Gertrude, Mabel and Abby and they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at this home in 1911. Harriet died in 1912 and James followed her two years later. The Kingsville Public School Board purchased this home from Angeline in 1921 to be used as a high school, but sold it a few months later to Albert Eastman, Manager of the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Railway.

The Passing of Mrs. James W. King

The many friends here of Mrs. Jas. W. King were greatly shocked to hear of her unexpected death at the residence of her daughter in Walkerville, on Friday, Sept. 6th. [. . .]

The deceased was lady of a singularly sweet and lovable disposition with a heart overflowing with warm affection for those in trouble or who needed a mother’s care. Her hospitable door was always open and she seemed never so happy as when her friends were enjoying with her the happiness of her home. For over fifty years she and beloved husband, now left to mourn her loss, lived an ideally happy married life.

Bereft in the evening of life of his life companion, our hearts go out in sympathy not only to the family but particularly to the husband whose loss is irreparable.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1912 p.1

The Late Jas. W. King

James Workman King, after an illness extending over nearly two years, passed away at his home here on June 9th last. Deceased, a couple of years ago, suffered a paralytic stroke, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. He was able to sit up and be taken around in a wheel chair and was only confined to his bed a few days before his demise.

Mr. King was a son of the late Col. King, and was born at White Pigeon, Mich., Nov. 10th, 1835. Col. King moved to this place when James was young, and formed the nucleus of what is now the town of Kingsville. [. . .] He was a man of sprightly disposition, loved the company of his fellows, and in latter years was an enthusiastic bowler, member fo the Kingsville Bowling Club, and during his illness, was frequently wheeled up the green where he could watch the game. He was a member of the church of England and a faithful attendant up to the time of his sudden illness.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 18, 1914 p.1