Tag Archives: Designated


Carnegie Library (1913)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

28 Division Street South

Designated in 1988

When American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie retired from active business in 1901, he devoted the rest of his years to philanthropy. In his lifetime, he donated $56 million to build 2,509 libraries throughout the world. Of the 125 Carnegie libraries built in Canada, 111 were built in Ontario. Kingsville was offered funding and a library by-law was voted upon during the 1911 Municipal Election, which passed 235-34. By-law No. 222 authorized the purchase of a library site (not to exceed $800) and annual maintenance of “an amount equal to ten per cent of the cost of erection thereof,” in order to qualify for the $5,000 Carnegie Library grant. Windsor architects Crane & Pennington designed the library, and Kingsville Council had to approve an additional $2,000 to add to Carnegie’s donation to cover the building costs. The Woodiwiss Brothers were masons for the project and the Oxley Brothers the contractors.

Established first in England during the 1820s, Mechanics’ Institutes began as voluntary associations of working men seeking self-improvement through education. The community-based institutes offered evening lectures, lending libraries and periodical reading rooms. Members were supposed to learn the underlying scientific principles of their work as well as the general value of “rational information.” The concept spread quickly elsewhere, including British N America where the Montreal Mechanics’ Institute opened in 1828 and the York Mechanics’ Institute in 1830. Other institutes followed, especially in Ontario but also in NS and BC. In 1895 Ontario included 311 institutes with a total of 31,195 members.


Mechanics’ Institute

There has been an Act passed at the last sitting of the Legislature regarding the changing of Mechanic’s institutes into Free Libraries, and making it possible to maintain such by direct taxation. This would increase the usefulness of the institute and the cost of sustaining it would be much greater. The matter will be presented to the council at their next meeting.

The government grant towards pub. libtaries (sic) is $250, of which $150 is to be spent in books, $50 in papers and magazines, and $50 towards maintenance of library.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 3, 1895 p.8

The Mechanics’ Institute people have labored hard to make a public library to give to this town some of the intellectual privileges that only the more wealthy can afford. The town council have decided not to take over the institute this year. The managers in consequence have decided to give a local entertainment in the town hall. Musical and literary upstairs and ice cream and cake downstairs. All the friends are asked to help the funds up a little by attending this fine entertainment. Admission only 10 cents. June 25th is the date set.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 14, 1895 p.4


[. . .] Dr. Wigle and the other directors of the Mechanic’s Institute petitioned the council asking them to take over the Institute and make a public library of it and appoint a board of directors of their own. The petition was accepted and the Institute taken over, and the following board of directors appointed: F.A. Wigle, Howard Scratch, Owen Harris, C.J. Ballard, and the present council board.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 11, 1896 p.1

The public library is open and free to everybody in Kingsville and South Gosfield. All that is necessary in order to get books is to register by name. Applicants must be fourteen years of age or over.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 23, 1896 p.5

Librarian Wanted.

Applications for the position of Librarian for Kingsville Public Library may be made to the secretary, Fred. Forster, until Saturday, April 26th. Salary, $1.50 per week. Hours, from 1.30 to 5 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m.

By order of the Board. Dr. Allworth. Chairman.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 18, 1902 p.5


Epworth Parsonage (1908)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

62 Division Street South

Designated in 2010

The year after the Epworth Church was built in 1893, the Kingsville Natural Gas and Oil Co. purchased the old Methodist church on Main Street East. The parsonage, also on Main Street East, continued to be used by the Methodist ministers until it was sold to Dr. Jenner in 1907 and plans were made to built a new parsonage just south of the church. The two-storey residence was designed by Thomas Jenner and the Woodiwiss Bros were selected as masons, using brick from the Miner Brickyard. The parsonage was completed in November of 1908 and the first occupant was Rev. Mr. Millson, who had been living in the Wigle flat over the Woodiwiss Bros’ store. In January 1914, “the Methodist congregation placed $1,431 on the plates to complete the payment of all debt on the church property” and “a public meeting was held in the auditorium of the church at which the mortgage was burned.”

At the meeting of the Trustee and Quarterly boards of the Methodist church last week it was decided to erect a new parsonage on the lot just south of the church, to cost in the neighborhood of $3,000. Work will be commenced in the Spring.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 17, 1907 p.5

On Tuesday last, while Messrs Chas. Riddell and John Stoner were slating the new Methodist parsonage, a portion of the scaffolding gave way and they fell to the ground a distance of twenty feet. Mr. Riddell sustained a fractured rib, while Mr. Stoner escaped with a severe shaking up.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 23, 1908 p.1

The silex* walk from Stanley Street to the Methodist parsonage is completed and the walk on Pearl st. west from Queen to Prince Albert was started yesterday morning.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 24, 1908 p.5

Ministerial Association

A meeting of the ministers of Kingsville and neighboring places, was held in the school room of the Methodist church, on Monday last, with a view to the formation of a Ministerial Association. It was unanimously agreed that an association be formed under the name of the “Kingsville Ministerial Association.” That meetings should be held on the first Monday in each month, that the Rev. Mr. Masters be President, and that Rev. Mr. Galt be Sec-Treas. It was also agreed that the next meeting should be held in the Baptist parsonage, and the Rev. Mr. Millson should introduce the subject of “Our duty in regard to the coming Municipal election.”

The Kingsville Reporter, November 8, 1908 p.8


Dr. Jenner on the Care of Infants

On Friday last a meeting of unusual interest was held under the auspices of W.C.T.U. in the Methodist parsonage, to which the mothers of the community who have small children’s were invited to hear a lecture on the “Care of infants” by Dr. Jenner. There was a very large attendance and from first to last the whole affair was a decided success.

Dr. Jenner was in great form and held the undivided attention of all present for about three quarters of an hour, during which time he advocated the liberal use of common sense, fresh air, cold water, and light, and warned the mothers against the many common and deadly mistakes that are constantly being made.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 25, 1909 p.8

* crushed stone

** Women’s Christian Temperance Union


Lakeside Park (1907)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

Division Street South & Herrington Street

Designated in 2007

The Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway began service from Windsor to Kingsville in 1907. At the time, Kingsville’s population was 1,578. To take advantage of new tourism opportunities, Kingsville Town Council explored the idea of developing a public park on the lake shore. A by-law to “raise by way of loan the sum of $5,000.00 for the purpose of purchasing and improving that land described as Block ‘G’ on the south side of Harrington (sic) Street […] for the purpose of a Public Park” was put to a public vote. The park by-law passed with a vote of 168 to 48, and Lakeside Park was opened to the public in the summer of 1907. The pavilion, designed by Windsor architects Crane and Pennington, was built in 1913 by James Countess at a cost of $2,250.

As the street railway line nears completion, people from Windsor and Detroit are beginning to look this way for residential property. With the acquisition of a beautiful park, the desirability of Kingsville as a place of residence will be still greater.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 16, 1907 p.5


We have, as a town, much to be thankful for. One of the best harbors on the lakes, a first-class steamboat, beautiful churches, a graded school of seven departments none can beat. Several blocks as good as any town has, and live, progressive merchants, grand avenues of maples with best silex walks, good grist and flour mill, large woollen mill (a prize winner), large canning factory, evaporator, three big tobacco factories, grain and produce buyers and foreign shippers, large planing mill and lumber yard, the leading blacksmith shop of the county, pump factory, two banks, two hotels and livery barns, large furniture store, water works (none better), natural gas in abundance, splendid fire department, the finest natural park in Western Ont., good steam railway service, live printing office, three best physicians, several skilled machinists and inventors, hardware and paint stores, groceries and bakeries, millinery and clothing stores, many of them, and a climax to all the many above blessings, one of the latest equipped electrical railways in Canada, the elegant cars, now upon our streets, are the direct evidence, the beautiful power house, machinery and car barns, at the lake only show the master hands and energetic minds and Co. who are in control. Yes, Wiggins can keep his extra moon, the old one is good enough for us. Too much light might spoil us. Yes, let our neighbors have the Wiggins moon, to help them see their way to a park and R.R. franchise.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.1

Geo. W. Cady has presented the park committee here with 100 fine European elms. They are worth $1.00 a piece. No doubt the committee will appreciate gifts of trees from any citizen who wishes to show a similar public spirit.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.5

Anyone willing to contribute shade or ornamental trees for the town park this spring, will please inform the Secretary, Geo. Pearse.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1908 p.5

Lakeside Park Improvement

The Park commission have had set out about 250 trees of all kinds, built another bridge in the creek near the beach, and got a potato patch under cultivation on the flats, so far this season. In another year the park will present quite a different appearance. If the fringe of poplars along the beach, east of the creek, were topped, the view of the lake would not be so completely cut off as at present. The unsightly old hedge also ought to be destroyed in some way. We believe it is the intention to thoroaghly (sic) cultivate the flats at the north side this year, then level, seed and roll it, so as to put it in shape for a ball ground.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1908 p.8

The New Pavilion.

At a special meeting of the council on Monday evening the Mayor [W.A. Smith] submitted plans and specifications of a pavilion for the town park, prepared by Messrs. Crane and Pennington, of Windsor. The council approved of the plans and decided to proceed with the work of construction so far as possible this year. Tenders for the work are asked for and will be considered at a meeting of the council to be held Monday Nov. 25th. The pillars will be of field stone and will be supplied by the council. The council will be glad to have contributions of stone from any farmers who would like to assist in this way in the erection of a building intended as much for the accommodation of the township residents as of the town.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 14, 1912 p.1


Curtis J. Green House (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , ,

78 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In March 1888, Curtis James Green purchased Robert Barber’s half interest in the Green & Barber Mill and Factory to become partner with his father, George Warren. The new company was called Green & Son. Later that year, C.J. married Fannie, Col. King’s oldest granddaughter and moved into a house on Division Street South owned by his father-in-law. In 1892, Fannie’s father James Workman King gave the couple a building lot next to his residence and this home was completed in 1893. In addition to the lumber mill and factory, C.J. was involved in many businesses including the Kingsville Natural Gas Co., Kingsville Canning Company and the Chamberlin Metal Weather Strip Company. Later owners were Fannie and C.J.’s son, James Sidney Green and his wife Irene, who lived in this home from 1923 until 1968.

We were shown through Mr. Curtis Green’s new house, on Tuesday. It is nearly ready for occupation and when completed will be a home any man should feel proud of. T.P. Flanagan is doing the alabastine work, and he shows himself an adept at the business. The halls are done in salmon; one bedroom in pink, one in blue with purple trimmings; the parlor in terra cotta with ceiling lavender, and trimmings dark green; sitting room is much the same; dining room walls permanent blue, ceiling a lighter shade, dark green trimmings. The shades are very pretty, and, with the woodwork of natural oak done in oil, make an excellent combination.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 14, 1893 p.5

Mr. C.J. Green has improved his residence on Division street by adding a large stone verandah also a sun parlor, which adds very much to its appearance. When completed, it will be occupied by his son, Sidney Green.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 1, 1923 p.5

Curtis J. Green

The people of this town were shocked when the news of the death of Mr. C.J. Green reached here on Thursday last. Mr. and Mrs. Green had been spending the winter months at Charleston, South Carolina for the benefit of Mrs. Green’s health, which had not been of the best for some time. Mrs. Green had been taken suddenly worse and their son Sidney of this place, and daughter, Mrs. Leo. King, Windsor, had been sent for. Mrs. Green began gradually to improve and Sidney had arranged to start for home Thursday. Mrs. Green was worse on Thursday morning when Mr. Green came over to see her and the shock combined with the worry over his wife’s condition was too much for him and his heart gave way, resulting in his death.

The Masonic fraternity of the city took charge of the body and made arrangements for its shipment north to Kingsville. It arrived here Sunday and the funeral took place under Masonic auspices. The Masonic brethren of Charleston were most kind and did everything possible in aid of the bereaved relatives in their hour of grief.

Deceased was in the 62nd year of his age. He was born near Hamilton and was the eldest son of the late G.W. Green. The family came to Kingsville in 1885 and engaged in the milling business. They also acquired extensive lumbering interests in the Southern States shipping most of the product north. Curtis has resided here practically all the time since 1885. Shortly after coming here he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny King, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jas. W. King. Two children were born to the union, Sidney, now of Kingsville and Muriel (Mrs. Leo. King) of Windsor. Mr. Green was a good business man, of a quiet and rather reserved disposition, but well like and respected by all who knew him. He was a member of the Anglican Church, a 32nd Degree Mason and a Scottish Riter. He is survived his widow and two children and his mother, who is now in Felsmere, Florida; also one sister, Mrs. Milford Wigle and Robt., both of Felsmere, Florida; Edgar, Detroit; A.B. (sic) of Walkerville and Albert of this town.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1925 p.1


John Malott House (1887)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

189 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In the spring of 1888, John Malott (son of “wharfinger” Capt. William J. Malott) decided to stop farming and go into “the pound fishing business.” With his wife Nora (Black) and infant daughter Ada, John moved from Pearl Street West to this home built for Robert Fleming in 1887. Robert moved to John’s house to be closer to his carriage business, and John moved closer to his pound nets in Lake Erie. By 1895, John had a second daughter (Christina) and changed occupations again, advertising as “John Malott, Baker & Confectioner.” Three years later, John sold his home and moved his family to Detroit where he became a carpenter and house builder. The next owner was William A. Smith, a local businessman and lawyer, who eventually became Town Clerk, Mayor of Kingsville (1910 to 1911), Reeve of Gosfield North (1913) and County Magistrate. Smith and his wife Evelyn had two sons: Austin, lawyer and M.P.P. for Essex South (1929-1934) and Lyndon, Rhodes Scholar and Anglican Minister in Toronto.

Other owners of this home include Charles (Robert) Gascoyne & Amelia Gascoyne and Orville (Leroy) & Olive Laramie.

R. Fleming having purchased a lot on Division street, is having the foundation of a very tasty house erected thereon.

Amherstburg Echo, September 23, 1887 p.6

Robert Fleming took advantage of the Queen’s Birthday, to commemorate the event by moving into his new house lately bought of John Malott, on Pearl street, west.

John Malott having sold his late residence on Pearl street west, has moved into the new building on Division street which he purchased from Robt. Fleming.

Amherstburg Echo, June 8, 1888 p.6

Mayor Smith and Ex-Mayor Wigle were in Chatham this week. It was generally remarked that Ex-Mayor Wigle looked fine in his new hat.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 2, 1911 p.5

While ex-Mayor Wigle’s new hat has been so much admired and has been drawing so much of the attention of others, Webb wishes to announce that the ex-Mayor’s hat was bought at his gents’ furnishing store where all good goods are for sale at right prices. Some think if Mayor Smith would turn down his pantaloons and wear a hat just like that of ex-Mayor Wigle’s the citizens of the town would think their white haired boy had developed into a man.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 9, 1911 p.5

Important Real Estate Deals

Mr. Sam Scratch put through several real estate deals last week, the first of which was trading his Duplex Appartment (sic) in Windsor, to Leroy Laramie for Mr. Laramie’s farm on the Ninth Concession, of Gosfield North. He then sold Mr. Laramie the Robert Gascoyne home on Division street south, Kingsville. He then sold the Laramie farm to his son-in-law, Earl Ryall of Olinda.

The business was all wound up in Windsor and there were no written agreements on any of the deals – something that the legal firm had never seen before, leading them to remark, that there were still men living who regarded their word equal to their bond.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1929 p.1

1 2