Tag Archives: Eastman


Roderick & Anna Smith House (1919)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

221221 Division Street South

The Windsor Evening Record’s headline on September 14, 1907 was “WINDSOR, ESSEX & LAKE SHORE RY. WILL OPEN FOR TRAFFIC THURSDAY: Line That Was Promoted and Incorporated Over Six Years Ago is Finally Ready for Operation and Officials are Happy Over Fruition of Plans to Give Essex County the Finest-Equipped Electric Road on the Continent.” The W.E&L.S route ran from Windsor through Kingsville to Leamington. Being a major hub for the electric railway, many people came to Kingsville for employment. Roderick Smith moved to Kingsville from the Bruce Peninsula and became an engineer with the “interurban railway.” Roderick was married to Anna, daughter of Colin and Mary McDonald, in 1914 and they had this house built in 1919.

County Council Notes

A petition was presented, asking the Legislature to pass the Bill to incorporate the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway. It was moved by Messrs. Stone and Brett, that this council concur in the petition just read, and the Warden and Clerk sign same and attach the corporate seal and forward through our members to the Local Legislature. — Car.

The Comber Herald, January 31, 1901 p.1

Few radial lines have had more difficulties to contend with than the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore railway. Almost since its inception the company has been beset by obstacles that ranged from franchise restrictions of contrary councils to internal dissension over financial problems. Even the elements took a slap at the company and wrecked the power house at Kingsville when it was in course of construction. The promoters have had many an anxious hour and must have almost despaired of ultimate fulfilment of their plans, but they bid fair now to emerge triumphant and reap long-delayed returns on their investment.

The Windsor Evening Record, September 14, 1907 p.1


The Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Rapid Ry. Co.

Cars leave corner Ouellette avenue and Pitt street, Windsor, daily at 7.15 a.m., 9 a.m., 11.15 a.m., 1 p.m., 3.15 p.m., 5 p.m. and 8.15 p.m. for Pelton, Maidstone, Essex, Cottam, Kingsville, Ruthven and Leamington. On Sunday last car leaves Windsor at 10 p.m. for all points.

Express trains leave Windsor daily except Sunday at 10.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.

Phones: Passenger Office and Waiting Room 989. Freight Shed 1036. Cartage Office 24.

IVAN SHEPLY, Ticket Agent. A.J. SHRUM, Freight Agent, Windsor. A. EASTMAN, Gen’l Western union point Mgr. P.H. SCOTT, Traffic Mrg., Kingsville.

The Windsor Evening Record, December 29, 1910 p.5

The thirty-five employees of the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore interurban railway Saturday received official notice from the Ontario Hydro Commission which operates the line, that they will not be needed after September 15. The road is to be closed permanently on that date because directors have decided it cannot be operated at a profit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1932 p.5


[. . .]


The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1942 p.2

Salvage of slightly more than 100 tons of steel rails, part of the old unused Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Railway, is being suggested by the Kingsville Town Council to the Dominion Salvage Committee. The rails are the property of the Guaranty Trust Company, trustees for the defunct railroad, and will bring abut $2,000 on the market. They are not cemented and would be easily removed.

The Leamington Post, April 2, 1942 p.7



James W. King House (1882)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , , ,

86 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

James Workman King was the oldest child of Col. James King, after whom Kingsville was named. Born in Michigan in 1835, he came to Gosfield with his mother and father as an infant. He attended high school in Port Clinton, Ohio where he met his future wife, Harriet Smith. In 1881 James hired his father-in-law, Sylvester Smith, to oversee the construction of his new brick residence which was completed the following year. Local craftsmen who worked on the house included Messrs. Bruner, Davey and Brimner. James and Harriet had six children: Fannie, James, Angeline, Gertrude, Mabel and Abby and they celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at this home in 1911. Harriet died in 1912 and James followed her two years later. The Kingsville Public School Board purchased this home from Angeline in 1921 to be used as a high school, but sold it a few months later to Albert Eastman, Manager of the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Railway.

The Passing of Mrs. James W. King

The many friends here of Mrs. Jas. W. King were greatly shocked to hear of her unexpected death at the residence of her daughter in Walkerville, on Friday, Sept. 6th. [. . .]

The deceased was lady of a singularly sweet and lovable disposition with a heart overflowing with warm affection for those in trouble or who needed a mother’s care. Her hospitable door was always open and she seemed never so happy as when her friends were enjoying with her the happiness of her home. For over fifty years she and beloved husband, now left to mourn her loss, lived an ideally happy married life.

Bereft in the evening of life of his life companion, our hearts go out in sympathy not only to the family but particularly to the husband whose loss is irreparable.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 12, 1912 p.1

The Late Jas. W. King

James Workman King, after an illness extending over nearly two years, passed away at his home here on June 9th last. Deceased, a couple of years ago, suffered a paralytic stroke, from the effects of which he never fully recovered. He was able to sit up and be taken around in a wheel chair and was only confined to his bed a few days before his demise.

Mr. King was a son of the late Col. King, and was born at White Pigeon, Mich., Nov. 10th, 1835. Col. King moved to this place when James was young, and formed the nucleus of what is now the town of Kingsville. [. . .] He was a man of sprightly disposition, loved the company of his fellows, and in latter years was an enthusiastic bowler, member fo the Kingsville Bowling Club, and during his illness, was frequently wheeled up the green where he could watch the game. He was a member of the church of England and a faithful attendant up to the time of his sudden illness.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 18, 1914 p.1