Tag Archives: Jasperson


Branch 188 Royal Canadian Legion (1968)

No comments yet

Categories: 1960s, Tags: , , ,

145145 Division Street South

The Royal Canadian Legion, Kingsville Branch 188 was established in 1930. Prior to the “Post” being formed, local War Veterans gathered in their club above Sivern’s Shoe Shop on Main Street West. Needing a larger meeting space, the Legion purchased a unit of the Union Block in the 1940s and remained there until this building was opened in 1968. Attending the dedication ceremony was Lt. Col. Fredrick Kent Jasperson, who “led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were suffered and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German Camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.”

War Veteran’s Association Formed in Kingsville

On Monday last at the call of Major George C. King, the local war veterans met in Mr. Siverns’ hall and enthusiastically agreed to form themselves into an association for the furtherance of their mutual comradeship.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 19, 1925 p.1

Branch of Legion Formed at Kingsville

A successful organization meeting was held in the Kingsville War Veterans’ club rooms last Thursday evening by local veterans to establish a post of the Canadian Legion. There were approximately 70 ex-soldiers present, including members of the Sandwich, Walkerville, Prince Edward and Leamington Posts.

Zone Representative J. Linegar, who is also president of the Walkerville Post, occupied the chair. A motion was sponsored by Capt. Austin B. Smith, M.L.A., to form a Post at Kingsville, and this was carried unanimously.

The following officers have been elected: Honorary presidents, Major G.C. King, Capt. A.B. Smith, M.L.A.; chaplain, Capt. Rev. S.P. Irwin; president, J.P. Golden; first-vice president, Edward Lucas; second vice-president, J.C. Cook; treasurer, William Linsley; secretary, C.R. McCallum. The executive consists of David Clark, Fred Gooden and Alfred White.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 27, 1930 p.5


A large crowd of people assembled on Sunday last, at 2:30, at the Church of the Epiphany, to witness the unveiling of the cenotaph – a memorial to the soldiers from this town and vicinity who laid down their lives in the Great War, while fighting in defence of a righteous cause. Upward of 2,000 persons were in attendance, and although a light rain came, it was of short duration.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1935 p.1

Canadian Legion Building Dedicated

The official dedication of the Lt. Col. F. K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion Hall took place on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 23rd.

A ceremonial parade of color parties, pipe bands and Legionnaires from Forest, Branch 176; Wheatley, Leamington, Essex Amherstburg and Kingsville led by Parade Marshall B. A. R. Traynor marched from the old Legion Hall to the new building.

[. . .] Julius Stomp Sr. was emphatic that it was with great pleasure to welcome everyone and thank them for their respect shown to Branch 188 on this day. During the dedication those who lost their lives through conflicts and those who were not present were remembered. The dream of a new building created interest which has constantly increased, he said. The new building is to serve the community and since the community is comparatively small a tremendous amount of work and effort was required for the final accomplishment.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 28, 1968 p.1

Car Accident Claims Life of Colonel Fred Jasperson

Lieutenant Colonel Fredrick Kent Jasperson, Q.C., D.S.O., was killed in an automobile accident on Monday, May 18, 1982. Mr. Jasperson was travelling south on Howard Avenue in Malden Township when he was in collision with a westbound truck on Pike Road. The accident occurred at 3:07 p.m. [. . .]

Colonel Jasperson was born in Kingsville and received his public school education here in town, and his high schooling in Leamington. He received his Bachelors Degree in Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1925 and graduated second in his class in law at Osgoode Hall, Toronto. The John Beverly Robinson Scholarship was awarded to him at this time. He law practice began in Windsor that same year.

Mr. Jasperson joined the 21st Essex Fusiliers (a militia unit) and later gained a major’s rank before the war in the Essex Scottish Regiment. In 1942, he became Lieutenant Colonel and had command of the regiment during World War II.

He led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were sufferec and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.

While a prisoner of war, he aided interested men to study law from books that were received from Osgoode Hall, sent by the Red Cross.

Upon his return, he farmed in Kingsville for a short time, and wrote short stories, some of which were published in Maclean’s Magazine.

In 1946, he appeared before the Privy Council. He was a member of the parole board for two years covering provincial institutions in Toronto, Sudbury, Guelph, etc.

In 1946, he received the Distinguished Service Order from King George VI.

Upon recieving the Distinguished Service Order, the following is the citation received:

“Lt.-Col. Jasperson was in command of the Essex Scottish Regiment in the Dieppe assault on August 19, 1942, and landed with the first wave of troops on the main beach. The landing craft successfully touched down and the attack in waves was pushed forward across the beach through heavy barbed wire obstacles until they reached the sea wall. Immediately in front of the sea wall stretched a broad esplanade which was protected by a series of barbed wire entanglements and the esplanade beyond were under continual heavy enemy fire of all calibres. A number of attempts were made by parties of the unit to cross the esplanade or work around the western end. One party successfully entered the town.

Lt.-Col. Jasperson made repeated efforts to push forward and secure the original objective. Despite every effort, little progress was made and eventually the beach on which he landed was overrun and Lt.-Col. Jasperson with many of his officers and men was captured. This officer displayed complete disregard for his own safety, continuously exposing himself to enemy fire in his endeavour to get his unit forward. The spirit shown by this officer in the face of impossible odds was an inspiration to all ranks of the Essex Scottish Regiment.”

The Kingsville Reporter, May 19, 1982 p.1


The Dominion Store (1926)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags:

9-119-11 Division Street South

As advertised in 1924: “Over a Million People trade with us each week. Most of them are women – thrifty housewives who “set a good table” but buy where they get the most for their money. They trade at Dominion Stores. Here in these stores, each a part of the greatest retail grocery organization in Canada, they shop – and save. Many are wives of poor men. Others are well-to-do. Yet, one and all, they are guided by a sturdy sense of thrift.” Bon Jasperson had this block built for Kingsville’s branch of the Dominion Store in 1926.

The Dominion Store is now located north of the Reporter Office. It was moved into position on Monday by N.J. Stephens. The new store will be started at once by Mr. Jasperson, and will be in readiness for occupation before cold weather sets in.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 2, 1926 p.5

Dr. Campbell has moved his dental office from the Conklin building corner of Division and Main Sts., to a flat in the new Jasperson building, opposite the post office.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 26, 1927 p.5


The new home of The Essex County Reporter and The Lake Shore News, which has just been completed, is shown above. The ground floor is occupied by a Dominion Stores, Ltd., streamlined self-serve market; the upstairs is more than two-thirds occupied by the Connery Publishing Company’s newspaper and commercial printing activities.

[. . .] The building is of semi-fireproof construction, measuring 38 feet eight inches on Division street north by 78 feet six inches in depth.

The Lake Shore News, August 29, 1940 p.1

Dominion Store Closes Doors After 50 Years

After over 50 years in Kingsville, the Dominion Store will close its doors Saturday, March 1st. It has been located at its present premises since 1940.

J.D. (Ed) Quinn, district manager of Southwestern Ontario for the Dominion Stores, stated that there were various reasons for the closing of the branch. Among them were recent pay hikes to all employees, the store being too small to carry all items carried by city stores and lack of parking facilities.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 20, 1975 p.1

Royal Bank Opens in New Location

The Kingsville branch of the Royal Bank of Canada opened its new premises Monday morning on Division Street North in the newly renovated former Dominion Store premises.

At the opening ribbon cutting ceremonies were Mayor Helmut Fittler, Reeve Dick Thompson, Bank Manager Ralph Mason, Regional Manager Richie Allison and Fred Jasperson, who cut the official ribbon.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 11, 1976 p.1


R.B. Samuel House (1921)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: ,

125125 Division Street South

Molsons Bank was incorporated in Montreal in 1855 by William and John Molson Jr., sons of John Molson, founder of the Molson Brewing Company. A branch of Molsons Bank was opened in Kingsville in 1899 when it absorbed Fraser Westcott’s private bank. In 1901, the bank moved to the newly constructed Conklin building on the the south-east corner of Division and Main and purchased Bon Jasperson’s bank in 1907. R.B. Samuel moved from Alvinston, Ontario to Kingsville in 1916 to become the new manager of Molsons Bank, and he built this home on Division Street South in 1921. When Bank of Montreal and Molsons Bank merged in 1925, Samuel became the manager of the Kingsville branch of the Bank of Montreal and held that position until his retirement in 1934.

Mr. H.P. Dunbar Evans who has been manager of the Molsons Bank here during the past eight years has received notice that he is to be transferred to Ridgetown. He expects to leave here about Sept 1st. Mr. R. B. Samuel of the Molsons Bank, Alvinston will be the new manager here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 10, 1916 p.5

Alvinston Man Gets Several New Goats

R.B. Samuel, manager of the Molsons Bank, and a great fancier of goats, Friday received four more new animals. These goats are a small type, being raised down in Virginia. They are a brownish color. These new beasts now make up the flock of seven which are to be seen in the pasture. The older lot are a Swiss breed. Mr. Samuel’s fold is the only one of its kind in this district.

Mr. Samuels is to be the new manager of the Molsons Bank here.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 24, 1916 p.1

The pretty bungalow which Mr. Samuel had built for himself during the past season, was one of his own designing, and is said to be about perfect for convenience and comfort.

The Kingsville Reporter, 20 Oct 1921, p.5


The last of Canada’s “family” banks is to disappear in the taking over the Molsons Bank by the Bank of Montreal. Announced in an official statement at Montreal today. The Molsons Bank, founded in Montreal over 70 years ago, has been in the hands of the commercial and financial family group of that name since then.

The merger is subject to the satisfaction of shareholders of both institutions.

If the merger goes through it is not known yet how it will affect the local branch here.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 30, 1924 p.5


On January 1st of this year, Mr. R.B. Samuel, who has been manager of the Bank of Montreal (formerly Molsons Bank) for the past 17 years, was retired on pension.

No more capable bank official could be found than Mr. Samuel, and it is with feelings of regret that the business men of the town, as well as the farming community, see him retire from the bank. He had been in the banking business for more than 40 years, and was held in the highest esteem by the head office as an extremely careful manager. He was always kind and condierate witht he bank’s patrons, as well as with the local staff, and at the same time, firm in his decisions where there might be any doubt in a banking transaction.

He and his wife and daughter, Miss Mary, will continue to reside here in their pretty home on Division Street south.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 4, 1934 p.4


Earl & Maggie Green House (1917)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

150150 Division Street South

When George Miner sold his home at 144 Division Street South in February 1917, he still owned the empty lot on the corner of Division and Stewart. Later that year, George “moved his frame house from the Miner homestead to his lot in town on Division street just north of the P.M. Railway. He will fit it up to sell or rent.” The house was purchased by James O. Brown, a local fisherman, in 1919. The following year Brown was appointed Kingsville’s Chief of Police, at a salary of $20 per month, and held that position for 12 years. James and his family moved to Windsor in 1934 when he became “a foreman in a Chrysler plant.” The Canadian National Institute for the Blind purchased this house in 1946 and it became the home of Earl Warren Green and his wife Maggie. Earl lost his sight in WWI, and became an instructor for the C.N.I.B. in Toronto before retiring to Kingsville.


In the appointment of Chief of Police considerable discussion took place. Mr. Loop thought a straight salary with pay for extras cut out was the most satisfactory method of dealing with this office. Mr. Salmoni asked Mr. Brown to define what he considered his duties as Chief of Police. Mr. Brown defined his position. He stated that he went on duty at 5 o’clock in the evening and quit at the same hour in the morning, that he was to see that law and order were preserved and that the bylaws of the town were lived up to. The extra that he got from business firms was not compulsory and that the business men understood this. The Mayor though the arrangement with the Chief of Police had worked out very nicely this year. Mr. Brown also stated that Leamington had been paying its Chief of Police extra for acting as night watch around business places, but he was informed this had been discontinued this year. There were no other applications for the position and it was moved by Cooper and Healey that J.O. Brown be Chief of Police for this year at a salary of $100 per month and $100 for the year for Sanitary Inspector and Truant officer. – Carried.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 11, 1923 p.1

[Earl] was on the Provost Marshal’s staff with Major Cartwright. Buried by shell while in action, Earl Green sustained injuries that robbed him of his sight [. . .]

Radio Commentator Claire Wallace recently made Earl Green the subject of his Toronto broadcasted program. He told listeners in detail how the blinded Green himself taught other sightless persons to get about without a guide. With Green’s patient tutelage they have learned to virtually “see” their way around town.

Standing six feet, five inches, this towering war veteran who was once an electrical worker, has been with the Canadian Institute for the blind for the past 10 years. In the past year he has trained 35 sightless persons, ranging in age from 24 to 84 years. One of this number was deaf as well as without sight. Of this number, 29 now get about Toronto at will and without guidance. The other six travel about their own neighborhood with ease.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 23, 1940 p.1

Earl W. Green Passes Suddenly

Earl W. Green, 67 years of age, died suddenly on Tuesday in Metropolitan Hospital, Windsor.

Deceased was born in Kingsville, son of the late George and Minnie Green. He served as corporal in the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifle Regiment, C.E.F. Was a life member of the Canadian Legion in Toronto and was formerly employed by the C.N.I.B. in Toronto.

His wide, Maggie, predeceased him in 1961. [. . .]

The town just won’t be the same with the passing of Earl Green. Earl, who was blind, was not only a special individual to our town, but travelled from coast to coast for years on behalf of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. He proved, not only to the blind he taught, but also to us, who have natural eye-sight, that the handicaps of blindness can be overcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 22, 1962 p.1


The Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion of Kingsville has purchased in honor of Earl Green, an annual challenge trophy for cribbage, open to all active organizations in Kingsville

The Kingsville Reporter, March 14, 1968 p.2


Jasperson Building (1915)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

1414 Division Street South

By 1915, Bonzano Jasperson was definitely in need of a permanent office. At the age of 46, Bon had already been involved in private banking (until bought out by Molson’s Bank), ownership of grain warehouses (located at the Kingsville Train Station), canning factory and co-ownership of local lime kilns (with brother George), the Electric Light Plant (with David Conklin), tobacco factory (with Darius Wigle) and gas and oil fields with S.L. McKay. Partnering with local furniture maker and undertaker Charles Pearsall, Jasperson had this brick block built in 1915. When completed, Pearsall opened a jewellery store in the northern section and Bon kept his office above the southern storefront, which housed the customs office.

Struck a Good Thing

Mr. S L McKay received a telegram this week from the operators on a property at Cobalt in which he is interested, to the effect that a six inch vein of native silver and a vein of from one to three inches of wire silver had been opened up. The property is known as the Cobalt Contact, is two and a half miles from the town of Cobalt, in the township of Bucke. Mr. McKay, Messrs. Geo. and B. Jasperson and Mayor Wigle have a sixth interest in the property. There are other good properties all around the claim.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.4

Mr. B. Jasperson has purchased the lot on which stood the harness shop of the late Patrick Hart, on Division St., South, and will erect an office block upon it in the spring.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 18, 1915 p.5

The shop occupied by Chas. Pearsall west side of Division street has been moved across the street next to the lot just north of Mrs. Cooper’s residence on the lot owned by the C.W. Hendershot Co. Mr. Pearsall will join with Mr. Jasperson and put up a brick block on the site of the old building and will occupy the building on the east side of the street until the new block is ready.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1915 p.5


B. Jasperson Was Town Old-Timer

[. . .]Deceased was the son of the late Louis Jasperson and Nancy Jane Wigle. He was born in Kingsville, May 25th, 1869, and had resided here all his life.

Deceased was well loved by all who knew him. As a boy he helped his brother, George, clear timber in the Romney Township area. When a young man, he was a private banker in this town. He was keenly interested in the first electric light system in Kingsville which was later sold to the Detroit Edison Co.

Mr. Jasperson and other business associates were responsible for Canadian Canners in this town, and he and his brother George, were responsible for the Hodge Tobacco Co. He was also instrumental in the original distribution plant for natural gas in Kingsville, in fact, he was known in his pioneering in the gas and oil business with the late S.L. McKay, in the development of the Tilbury Gas and Oil Field. He was the oldest independent operator in that business.

In October, 1946, Mr and Mrs Jasperson celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Survivors are, his wife, formerly Gertrude Kent of Truro, N.S.; one daughter, Mrs. T.D. (Esther) Campbell; one son, Col. F.K. Jasperson, and four grandchildren, Anne and Jane Campbell and Bon Jr and John Jasperson.

Three brothers predeceased him many years ago, Hilton, Fred and George. Deceased was the last of that generation.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 6, 1947 p.1

1 2