Tag Archives: King


Branch 188 Royal Canadian Legion (1968)

No comments yet

Categories: 1960s, Tags: , , ,

145145 Division Street South

The Royal Canadian Legion, Kingsville Branch 188 was established in 1930. Prior to the “Post” being formed, local War Veterans gathered in their club above Sivern’s Shoe Shop on Main Street West. Needing a larger meeting space, the Legion purchased a unit of the Union Block in the 1940s and remained there until this building was opened in 1968. Attending the dedication ceremony was Lt. Col. Fredrick Kent Jasperson, who “led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were suffered and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German Camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.”

War Veteran’s Association Formed in Kingsville

On Monday last at the call of Major George C. King, the local war veterans met in Mr. Siverns’ hall and enthusiastically agreed to form themselves into an association for the furtherance of their mutual comradeship.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 19, 1925 p.1

Branch of Legion Formed at Kingsville

A successful organization meeting was held in the Kingsville War Veterans’ club rooms last Thursday evening by local veterans to establish a post of the Canadian Legion. There were approximately 70 ex-soldiers present, including members of the Sandwich, Walkerville, Prince Edward and Leamington Posts.

Zone Representative J. Linegar, who is also president of the Walkerville Post, occupied the chair. A motion was sponsored by Capt. Austin B. Smith, M.L.A., to form a Post at Kingsville, and this was carried unanimously.

The following officers have been elected: Honorary presidents, Major G.C. King, Capt. A.B. Smith, M.L.A.; chaplain, Capt. Rev. S.P. Irwin; president, J.P. Golden; first-vice president, Edward Lucas; second vice-president, J.C. Cook; treasurer, William Linsley; secretary, C.R. McCallum. The executive consists of David Clark, Fred Gooden and Alfred White.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 27, 1930 p.5


A large crowd of people assembled on Sunday last, at 2:30, at the Church of the Epiphany, to witness the unveiling of the cenotaph – a memorial to the soldiers from this town and vicinity who laid down their lives in the Great War, while fighting in defence of a righteous cause. Upward of 2,000 persons were in attendance, and although a light rain came, it was of short duration.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1935 p.1

Canadian Legion Building Dedicated

The official dedication of the Lt. Col. F. K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion Hall took place on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 23rd.

A ceremonial parade of color parties, pipe bands and Legionnaires from Forest, Branch 176; Wheatley, Leamington, Essex Amherstburg and Kingsville led by Parade Marshall B. A. R. Traynor marched from the old Legion Hall to the new building.

[. . .] Julius Stomp Sr. was emphatic that it was with great pleasure to welcome everyone and thank them for their respect shown to Branch 188 on this day. During the dedication those who lost their lives through conflicts and those who were not present were remembered. The dream of a new building created interest which has constantly increased, he said. The new building is to serve the community and since the community is comparatively small a tremendous amount of work and effort was required for the final accomplishment.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 28, 1968 p.1

Car Accident Claims Life of Colonel Fred Jasperson

Lieutenant Colonel Fredrick Kent Jasperson, Q.C., D.S.O., was killed in an automobile accident on Monday, May 18, 1982. Mr. Jasperson was travelling south on Howard Avenue in Malden Township when he was in collision with a westbound truck on Pike Road. The accident occurred at 3:07 p.m. [. . .]

Colonel Jasperson was born in Kingsville and received his public school education here in town, and his high schooling in Leamington. He received his Bachelors Degree in Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1925 and graduated second in his class in law at Osgoode Hall, Toronto. The John Beverly Robinson Scholarship was awarded to him at this time. He law practice began in Windsor that same year.

Mr. Jasperson joined the 21st Essex Fusiliers (a militia unit) and later gained a major’s rank before the war in the Essex Scottish Regiment. In 1942, he became Lieutenant Colonel and had command of the regiment during World War II.

He led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were sufferec and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.

While a prisoner of war, he aided interested men to study law from books that were received from Osgoode Hall, sent by the Red Cross.

Upon his return, he farmed in Kingsville for a short time, and wrote short stories, some of which were published in Maclean’s Magazine.

In 1946, he appeared before the Privy Council. He was a member of the parole board for two years covering provincial institutions in Toronto, Sudbury, Guelph, etc.

In 1946, he received the Distinguished Service Order from King George VI.

Upon recieving the Distinguished Service Order, the following is the citation received:

“Lt.-Col. Jasperson was in command of the Essex Scottish Regiment in the Dieppe assault on August 19, 1942, and landed with the first wave of troops on the main beach. The landing craft successfully touched down and the attack in waves was pushed forward across the beach through heavy barbed wire obstacles until they reached the sea wall. Immediately in front of the sea wall stretched a broad esplanade which was protected by a series of barbed wire entanglements and the esplanade beyond were under continual heavy enemy fire of all calibres. A number of attempts were made by parties of the unit to cross the esplanade or work around the western end. One party successfully entered the town.

Lt.-Col. Jasperson made repeated efforts to push forward and secure the original objective. Despite every effort, little progress was made and eventually the beach on which he landed was overrun and Lt.-Col. Jasperson with many of his officers and men was captured. This officer displayed complete disregard for his own safety, continuously exposing himself to enemy fire in his endeavour to get his unit forward. The spirit shown by this officer in the face of impossible odds was an inspiration to all ranks of the Essex Scottish Regiment.”

The Kingsville Reporter, May 19, 1982 p.1


Donald Taggart House (1950)

1 comment

Categories: 1950s, Tags: , , ,

141141 Division Street South

When J.H. Smart, with his partner Dr. S.A. King, divided the 44 acres on the east side of Division Street South into building lots, he left himself over 3 acres surrounding his house. Construction of Smart’s 2 1/2 storey home, made of “white brick” and building stone from Pelee Island, took two years and was completed in 1880. Seventy years later, the house was owned by Donald Taggart and was home to four families consisting of seventeen people. In February 1950, the house was destroyed by fire, started by outdated gas heating. Within two weeks of the fire, Taggart purchased a house on Chestnut Street and moved it in front of his ruined home. The house was purchased by Ewald and Frieda Erdmann in 1953, shortly after their immigration from Poland.

The schooner Active brought a load of building stone from Pelee Island, for JH Smart, on Saturday, the 13th.

Amherstburg Echo, April 26, 1878 p.6

Work on Mr. Smart’s residence is being rapidly pushed forward. There are 12 men working on it at the present time, two from Windsor, five from Detroit, and the remainder from Kingsville.

Amherstburg Echo, August 27, 1880 p.6

J.H. Smart dies at Bronte

James Haley Smart first Reeve of Kingsville and a resident of the town for 60 years, died in Bronte, 20 miles from Toronto last Friday after a lengthy illness. He was 93.

He first came to Kingsville in 1870 and bought out the general store business of James King, Jr. In 1872 he was appointed postmaster and was later magistrate of the town and police magistrate. In the year 1877 he built on the corner of Main and Division streets a large brick store, three stories high which he ran for years.

When Kingsville was incorporated he became its first reeve, remaining in that office for eight years. After many years as postmaster he was succeeded by E.A. Brown.

Mr. Smart operated a private bank in his store building as well as in the post office. He discontinued his banking work as well as the post office, sold out his store and entered the commission business handling all kinds of farm produce, until age led him to retire.

Mr. Smart was twice married, and both wives predeceased him. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Fred DeJean, of Bronte, and Mrs. Morley Williams, Ottawa.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 21, 1938 p.5


Four families consisting of 17 persons were left homeless when fire late Saturday night completely gutted the house owned by Donald Taggart on Division Street South.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 2, 1950 p.2

Don Taggart has begun work on his new home, on the lot just in front of his former home, having purchased the home formerly occupied by Clive Waterworth and family, now of Leamington.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 9, 1950 p.3


George & Mary Turcon House (1938)

No comments yet

Categories: 1930s, Tags: ,

9494 Division Street South

This home lies between the J.W. King house (built 1882) and Elihu Scratch house (built 1887). For many years, until the mid-1910s, this property was actually a lane to Scratch’s “coal and wood yard.” At the entrance of the lane, off Division Street South, scales were located to weigh the wagons entering and leaving the yard. In 1915, Angeline King purchased a lot on Mill Street West to be used as the new entrance to the “rear lot” and the lane was closed off. George and Mary Turcon purchased the lane and part of the “rear lot” in 1938 and had this house built. The “rear lot” was acquired by the Lions Club of Kingsville in 1946 “to be made into a playground for youth and children.”

 An important real estate deal was completed here Tuesday last when Miss King purchased a lot on south side of Mill st. west from Mr. J. Peterson, just west of Ezra Bertrand’s. The land will be used as a street to get to the rear of about fifteen lots which Miss King has in the rear of her Division street property. This is the street the town talked of putting through some years ago but failed. These lots are in an excellent location and should sell rapidly.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 17, 1915 p.5

The committee appointed to report on advisability of opening new street off Mill street south, just to the west of Ezra Bertrand’s, said they were of the opinion that the street would be too narrow, 45 feel. They had spoken to Mr. Peterson about purchasing an extra five feet from him so as to make it fifty feet in width, but had not yet got any definite answer from him.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 10, 1916 p.1


On Wednesday evening last a Lions Club was organized here by District Governor H. Irvine Wiley, of Windsor. The organization meeting was held at Kingsville Golf and Country Club.

Fred Crawford was elected president of the new service club, with Robert Healey, 1st vice-president; Carl Pickard, 2nd vice-president; Nelson Layman, 3rd vice-president; Dr. R.R. Hudgins, secretary; James S. Green, treasurer; Arthur Allan, lion tamer; Everett Moore, tail-twister; and Ernie McCay, Mayor L.C. Hillis, M.D., and William Long and A. D. Hember, directors.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 11, 1933 p.1

Lions Club Buys Property For Children’s Playground

The Kingsville Lions Club have just completed a deal whereby they purchased a piece of property behind the United church to be made into a playground for the youth and children of the town.

The property which cost about $1,500, will see tile laid next week and it is hoped to have it in shape for softball by May 24th. The Lions Club intends to put another $2,000 to $3,000 into the project this year.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 21, 1946 p.1

Lions Club to Instal Flood Lights

At an executive meeting of the Kingsville Lions Club held last Monday night, it was decided to purchase flood lights for the Lions Playground so that softball could be played in the evenings. The lights, which will cost over $1,200, will be ordered immediately.

As the club has already spent over $6,000 on the Scout Hall and another $2,000 on its playground, the lighting equipment will put a serious draw on the club’s coffers.

“We understand that some individuals would like to assist u with donations to help us put up these lights,” said President Don McCay, and added that any contributions would be very welcome as it is essential that lights are put up this year.

[. . .] This new park will officially be opened on May 24, with a double header softball game between two local men’s and two ladies’ teams taking part.

Alvin Sandord and Hubert Scott, members appointed by the local club to supervise this project, say that the two acres of land which was purchased by the club from W.G. Long, and a piece 66 feet x 76 feet, which was leased by the United Church to the Lions Club for 25 years, will be under supervision so that parents need not worry when their children are at the Kingsville Lions Club Playground.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 2, 1946 p.1


Conklin Building (1901)

1 comment

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , , , ,

Corner of Division St S and Main St E

The lifetime motto of David Conklin (1854-1952) was “Do what you have agreed to do, but be careful what you agree to do.” His father died when David was six years old and he was raised by his uncle Simon Wigle, from whom he “acquired his early knowledge of timbering.” Early days included forest clearing and led David to own a very successful lumber mill. Other investments included farming and commercial properties like the Conklin Building. David purchased the vacant lot on the south-east corner of Division and Main from J.W. King in April 1901 for $1,600, and the brick block was completed by December. The building was designed by architect John A. Maycock and D.H. McCay was the superintendent of construction. Shortly after completion, Molson’s Bank moved into the corner section and “the dry good establishment of C.W. Hendershot” occupied the L-shaped store which had entrances on both Division and Main.

The contracts for the new Conklin block have been let, DH McCay does the carpenter work, Wm Maycock and Wm Davey do the brick and stone work, and Ed Kennedy the plastering.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 23, 1901 p.4

In the year 1922, under the pastorate of the late Rev. Joseph Hibbert, Epworth Memorial Hall was erected for the purpose of accommodating the growing Sunday School and meeting the needs of the increasing social demands made upon the church.

At the same time the Memorial Hall was in course of erection there was installed in the church the splendid Casavant Organ, the gift of Mr. David Conklin and his son, William, in memory of the the late Mrs. Wilhelmina Conklin, wife of Mr. Conklin and mother of William.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 6, 1931 p.1

David Conklin Passes in 98th Year

David Conklin, Kingsville’s Grand Old Man, passed away Wednesday afternoon, May 7th, at the Leamington District Memorial Hospital, in his ninety-eighth year. His life coincided with the life of his native town for almost a century, through pioneer days, forest clearing, lumbering, business expansion and town building, even into our more settled commercial and agricultural era. The residents of Main St. West and Division St. North have commented many times that Mr. Conklin’s car was as reliable a time-piece as an alarm clock. His time never varied as he pursued his regular and methodical routine of farming and operating his saw mill. He executed his business affairs until last autumn with regularity, precision, accuracy and efficiency. An unfortunate accident occurred last October when he was injured by a motorist while crossing Main St. West on foot. Since that event, the late Mr. Conklin was confined to the Leamington Hospital where he passed away.

Mr. David Conklin’s father, Thomas Conklin, was the only son of Jacob Conklin, and died when David was only eight years old. Left alone with four other children, David’s mother, Susanna Wigle Conklin, agreed to let David live with her brother, Simon Wigle. It was from his Uncle Simon that David Conklin acquired his early knowledge of timbering. Except for about three months when he attended school, Mr. Conklin’s education was obtained from practical experience and from his wife, Wilhelmina Fox, who had qualified as a school teacher.

Driving oxen as a boy of 10 or 12 was no easy task. There were few roads, and most bush trails involved negotiating swamps, Essex County then being probably one-third under water. Little David had not been exposed to higher religion and lived in the tough logging camps. He could remember as a little boy getting lost with his oxen in Hog Marsh, north of Kingsville, “I would cry a little, then swear a little. Eventually I got through all right.”

As a boy of 16, his uncle gave him a job of bidding on the timber in Walker’s Marsh, about 12 miles from Kingsville. Mr. Hiram Walker was at first disdainful of the boy but his respect mounted when David’s tender took the timber by one dollar.

At 17 his uncle put David in his first responsible job – foreman of a logging camp of 75 French-Canadians. His duties were varied. Not the least interesting was the Saturday night chore of rounding up the men from the bars in Kingsville, lining them up and marching them out of town, singing, to their camps a few miles distant. If left alone, the men would have wrecked the town. “They respected me,” he would say. “One reason was that I didn’t use liquor or tobacco.”

The international boundary in Mr. Conklin’s early days was ignored. He timbered in Wayne County, Michigan, along with his operations in Essex County. One of his jobs was removing timber from the site of Detroit’s present Willow Run Airport. Included was elevating timber from the near-by valleys, which others could not do, but which Mr. Conklin performed by a clever arrangement of pulleys. At this time he was earning highly skilled wages, amounting to $1.00 per day.

Leaving his uncle’s employ in about 1882 at the age of 28, Mr. Conklin entered a partnership operating a grist mill in Kingsville. The following few years saw him interested in various enterprises including the district’s first gas well. Steam power was coming into popular use by this time, and about the 1885 he returned to his first love, purchasing a sawmill three miles north of Kingsville.

Twice his sawmill burned to the ground, and each time he rebuilt. Even this years, Mr. Conklin still operated a small sawmill on the site of his original mill. Along with this, he operated six farms. Still possessing a car driver’s license despite rigorous yearly examinations, Mr. Conklin supervised these activities in person. He was ever the man who saw at once the trouble and the cure when some piece of machinery was misbehaving.

There were many serious business depressions in his time. Each of them lasted three years or more. The worst of the early ones started in 1873, 1893, and 1901. His solution in 1901 was to expand his activities, rather than to retrench. Labour and material were lower priced and easily available, and much was supplied to him by debtors as a way of paying their accounts. At this time he built two store buildings on Kingsville’s chief business street, providing accommodation for a bank and ten stores, with office and apartments in the second storey. “Be sure you are right, and then go ahead,” was his advice. “A depression time can provide opportunities as well as hardships.” Until this year Mr. Conklin still looked after these store buildings himself, even keeping his own careful accounts of his revenue and expenses without the aid of a book-keeper.

Mr. Conklin was active in the Methodist Church for many years dating back to the first Methodist Church on Main St. East. He was a member of the building committee for the original Methodist Church on the site of the present Epworth United Church, and has been a trustee since 1887. His lifetime motto was “Do what you have agreed to do, but be careful what you agree to do.”

David Conklin was the only remaining one of the eight children born to Thomas and Susanna Conklin. He was born November 4th, 1854, in Kingsville, on the Conklin lot east of his late residence. He married Wilhelmina Fox, daughter of Mr and Mrs William C. Fox, on February 24th, 1875. His wife predeceased him on March 20th, 1922. His survivors are: William Thomas Conklin, his only son; three grandchildren, Mrs. Manly Miner (Lucile) of Kingsville, William David Conklin of Kingsville, Mrs. Russell Skitch (Nora) of Toronto; seven great-grandchildren, namely: Mrs. Robert Stoffes (Wilhelmina Miner) of Detroit, Annetta, David, William, and Janet Conklin, of Kingsville, Russel and William Skitch of Toronto; and one great-great-grandchild, Suzanne Steffes [Stoffes?] of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 8, 1952 p.1


Maria J. Wigle House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

103 Division Street South

By 1867, it was reported that Solomon Wigle was “worth between one and two hundred thousand dollars.” It was the same year that he was “elected to the first provincial legislature of Ontario” representing Essex County. Together with is wife, Ann (Iler), Solomon had six sons and two daughters.  Unfortunately, after 32 years of marriage, Ann died at the age of 50. Two years later, in 1878, Solomon travelled to Pennsylvania and married Maria Jane Schwarts and they lived in Kingsville until his death in 1898. Solomon’s youngest son, Ernest S. Wigle had this house built in 1900 for his step-mother and Maria was granted a life lease for the property. In addition, Ernest was responsible “to pay all taxes and keep up repairs in accordance with the terms of the will of the late Solomon Wigle.” Maria remained in this home until her death in 1912 at the age of 79.

Our readers will call to mind the case of Mrs. Kirby, whose husband was killed while in the discharge of his duty on board a steamboat, last summer, and who was left with a family of little children. Various have been the means devised to assist the widow and at length Mrs. Solomon Wigle and other ladies interested themselves to procure a home for her. A lot has been purchased and a very substantial small residence has been erected thereon, under the superintendence of Freeman Bertrand. On Monday evening of last week, by invitation, a number persons were present at the residence of Mrs. Solomon Wigle to consult as to the best way of securing the house and lot in order to perpetuate its being used for the same purpose and the conclusion come to was that the property shall be deeded to the Corporation of Kingsville, as a home for a needy widow. Mrs. Kirby to have the use of it, rent free, till she remarries or till she dies, in either of which events, the council shall put another needy widow in possession on the same terms.

Amherstburg Echo, May 20, 1887 p.6


The Late Solomon Wigle Laid at Rest

The funeral of the late Solomon Wigle took place on Monday from his late residence, Main St. east, to Greenhill cemetery.

. . . He was the first to start a stage line between Windsor, Amherstburg and Blenheim, which continued until railroads arrived . . . He was a provisional director of the company which built the woollen mills, and a director of the Kingsville Natural Gas & Oil Co., of which later he was vice president at the time of his death. . . His family, all by his first wife, consisted of six sons and two daughters. The sons are Lewis, ex-M.P., Leamington; Gordon, Mayfield, California; Alfred, postmaster, Windsor, Elihu, deceased; Ernest S., barrister, Windsor; and Angus, on the old homestead. The daughters were Esther (Mrs. Dr. King), deceased, and Ella, who died at sixteen years.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 5, 1898 p.4

The Late Mrs. Maria J. Wigle

. . . She was a very cultured woman, a kind neighbor, and very pronounced in her ideas on all the great moral questions of the day. . . . Her life in Kingsville was one of helpfulness, and in her home she had practically been mother to two families, that of the late Solomon Wigle and of the late Dr. S.A. King. She never had any children of her own and has no living relatives excepting some cousins in Philadelphia. . . . The funeral took place from the home, Division street south, yesterday at 2.30, Rev. Mr. Martin and Rev. W.H. Ebersole officiating. The pall bearers were five step-sons and one step-grandson. Interment being made in the family plot, Greenhill cemetery.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1912 p.4

Herbert Scratch of this place was quietly married in Essex yesterday to Mrs. Douglas of that town. They will occupy the house recently purchased by Mr. Scratch from the Mrs. Solomon Wigle estate.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 19, 1912 p.5

1 2 3