Tag Archives: Kratz/Scratch


Dr. C.C. & Elieva Vardon House (1923)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: , ,

198198 Division Street South

When John Henry Clark and his wife Rachel sold their farm and moved to Kingsville in 1913, it wasn’t for retirement. J.H. had lived in (Brighton) Ontario, Michigan and (Reno) Nevada before taking up farming in Gosfield South in the early 1900s. In addition to farming, J.H. also ran a series of stores in Kingsville, Arner and Olinda. But in 1913, Clark’s newest business venture was real estate development, and by the end of the year he had built five houses in Kingsville and purchased two more. So when Rachel’s brother, Dr. Colin Campbell Vardon, and his wife moved from Newberry, Michigan to Detroit and were looking for a summer home, they had J.H. build this cottage on Division Street South for them in 1923.

J.H. Clark has rented the last house he built on Mill St. West to Robt. Green who will occupy it in a few days. Mr. Clark is having the foundations put in for a couple of new houses on Pearl St. [24 and 28 Pearl St. W.] on the back of the hotel Exchange lot, which he purchased last spring, and has purchased the lot just west of Robt. Conklin’s residence and is tearing down the old building on it preparatory to ercting [sic] another house [42 Pearl St. W.]. This one is rented before it is started. This will make five new houses for Mr. Clark this season. The other two that he bought will make him the owner of seven houses when they are all completed.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 24, 1913, p.5

Mr and Mrs Colin Vardon of Newberry, Mich., and Mr. Geo. Vardon of Detroit, were visiting with Mr and Mrs J.H. Clark, Mill street west, over the week-end. The Messrs. Vardon are brother of Mrs. Clark.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 25, 1920 p.5

Dr. Vardon of Detroit has purchased a lot off the north side of the W.M. Webb property, Division St. south and has let the contract to J.H. Clark for the erection of a fine new residence, which will be gotten under way as soon as the weather permits.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 5, 1923 p.5


John Henry Clark died quite suddenly Monday afternoon last at his rooms at Glen Miner’s, Division Street south, in the 80th year of his age.

Deceased was born near Brighton, and grew to manhood there. He followed farming and later kept store. He moved to Michigan for a few years, then went to Reno, Nevada, where he spent some six years, when he returned east to Windsor. After three years in Windsor, www.wutransfers.com Mr. Clark bought the “Letter K” farm in Gosfield South, and followed farming until 1905, when he sold out and bought a farm on the Section Road. Some time after this he bought out the store business of the late Alfred Allworth, Kingsville, in 1908, which he later sold and then bought out the general store of Cooper Greaves, at Arner. Three years later he sold out and bought the Olinda store business. One year later he traded this business to Mr. William Setterington for his farm. In 1913, he sold out and moved to Kingsville, where he has lived ever since.

He had been twice married, his first wife being Elma Clark, of Brighton, by whom he had one son, Herald, of Gosfield South. His second wife was Mrs. Rachel Vardon, of Pickering, who died here eight years ago, leaving one daughter, now Mrs. Roy H. Scratch.

Deceased leaves one brother, Walter H. Clark, of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 5, 1935 p.1


Nellie Hagerman House (1917)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags:

102102 Division Street South

Nellie Scratch’s wedding to Earl Christopher Hagerman the morning of April 18th, 1910 was described as “quiet” and “brief but deeply impressive.”  The newlyweds left that evening for their new home in Doe Run, Missouri but came back to Kingsville for the birth of their daughter in
September 1911. Unfortunately, two years later, Earl left to go travelling: he married Jessie Pope in Jamestown, New York in 1914 and together they had a daughter born in Ohio, another daughter in Virginia and a son in the Republic of Panama. Nellie remained in Kingsville and was granted a divorce in Detroit in 1916. Elihu Scratch had this house built on the lot just south of his home for
his daughter Nellie and granddaughter Josephine in 1917, and they live here until Nellie married Dr. J.T. Hackett in 1930. After her father’s death in 1933, Nellie moved into his home at 98 Division Street South.


James Pearson has withdrawn the bill for divorce before the senate, as he regarded it as impossible to have it put through this session. [. . .] Nothing conduces to immorality and crime more than lax ideas concerning the marriage relation. Divorce laws are made by and for socialists, anarchists and their sympathizers, and the people of Canada should raise such a protest against the proposed act, that the government will think twice before giving it sanction. As the law stands now it costs a small fortune to obtain a divorce in Canada, and as the people who generally seek divorce here are wealthy debauchees we believe they should be made to pay still higher for their disgraceful conduct.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 20, 1896 p.4

For most of Canada’s first century adultery was virtually the only basis for divorce and, before WWI, only Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and BC had divorce courts, [. . .] In provinces without access to judicial divorce, the only alternative was an appeal to Parliament for a statutory divorce, an expensive process that limited access to the wealthy. The most common divorce alternatives were desertion, legal separation and divorce in an American jurisdiction which, though it had no legal force in Canada, seemed to satisfy public opinion.


The Canadian Parliament gave divorce jurisdiction to the Supreme Court of Ontario by virtue of the Divorce Act (Ontario) of 1930 [. . .]

Moreover the federal statute of 1930 was followed by an Ontario statute in 1931, which dealt with maintenance, alimony, property settlements, the custody of children, and rules of procedure, none of which were dealt with by the federal statute.

McGill Law Journal, 1967, Volume 13 Number 1 p.2

In 1968 Canada’s first unified divorce law was passed. At that time, divorce became easier to obtain, although considerable legal and other difficulties remained. Divorce could be obtained on the basis of a matrimonial offence (previously the only basis on which divorce was available) or on the basis of marriage breakdown.


Mrs. N. Hackett Succumbs at 94

Nellie Hackett (Scratch), late of Kingsville, passed away Friday, January 26, 1979, at Leamington Hospital, at the age of 94 years.

Wife of the late Dr. J.T. Hackett (1962); mother of Mrs. J.M. Powell (Josephine), Barrie, Ontario. Also survived by two grandsons, John, Waterloo; and Gary, Barrie, and five great-grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 31, 1979 p.3


Ellen DeJean House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: ,

271 Division Street South

Ellen (Ormerod) DeJean moved to Kingsville from London with her husband, James, and their five children: Nellie, Gertrude, Marion, Frederick and James Jr. In 1891, James had built a residence on Division Street South and a two-storey brick building on Main Street West. Unfortunately James died two years later, but Ellen remained in Kingsville and even opened a “a fancy goods store in her block on west Main street.” By 1900 Ellen’s children had grown and moved away, so she built this small “cottage” on the south end of her property and sold her former home to George Henry. After Ellen’s death in 1907, the brick building was sold to Howard R. Scratch and Freeman Ford (Scratch & Ford Hardware) and the cottage to James and Emily Swenerton, of London.

The Late Mrs. DeJean

The death occurred on Wednesday evening, March 6th, at Victoria hospital, London, of Mrs. Ellen DeJean, widow of the late James F. DeJean, banker, at Kingsville, Ont. The deceased was in her sixty-first year, and had been ill since the first of Feb, pneumonia being the cause of death. She is survived by two sons and three daughters: Frederic, of London; Jas., of Detroit; Gertrude of Montreal; Mrs. H. Spence, London, and Marion, of Albany, N. Y.  Interment was made at Brantford, funeral private.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 7, 1907 p.4

Mr. J. Swenerton has finally closed the deal for the DeJean cottage at the lake. We are glad to received this genial gentleman and his wife as permanent citizens of our town.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 14, 1908 p.5

Mr. Jas. Swenerton, who has been ill for some time, died last night at his home here. There is no date fixed for the funeral. Interment will likely be made in Exeter.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 7, 1912 p.5

Mrs Swenerton of Division St has added greatly to the appearance of her cottage by having it painted; Ed. Anson and N.J. Smith doing the work.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 13, 1926 p.5


There will be put up for sale by public auction on Saturday, November 4th, at 2:30 p.m., the residence of the late Emily Swenerton, situated on the East side of Division Street South in the Town of Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 26, 1944 p.6


Maria J. Wigle House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

103 Division Street South

By 1867, it was reported that Solomon Wigle was “worth between one and two hundred thousand dollars.” It was the same year that he was “elected to the first provincial legislature of Ontario” representing Essex County. Together with is wife, Ann (Iler), Solomon had six sons and two daughters.  Unfortunately, after 32 years of marriage, Ann died at the age of 50. Two years later, in 1878, Solomon travelled to Pennsylvania and married Maria Jane Schwarts and they lived in Kingsville until his death in 1898. Solomon’s youngest son, Ernest S. Wigle had this house built in 1900 for his step-mother and Maria was granted a life lease for the property. In addition, Ernest was responsible “to pay all taxes and keep up repairs in accordance with the terms of the will of the late Solomon Wigle.” Maria remained in this home until her death in 1912 at the age of 79.

Our readers will call to mind the case of Mrs. Kirby, whose husband was killed while in the discharge of his duty on board a steamboat, last summer, and who was left with a family of little children. Various have been the means devised to assist the widow and at length Mrs. Solomon Wigle and other ladies interested themselves to procure a home for her. A lot has been purchased and a very substantial small residence has been erected thereon, under the superintendence of Freeman Bertrand. On Monday evening of last week, by invitation, a number persons were present at the residence of Mrs. Solomon Wigle to consult as to the best way of securing the house and lot in order to perpetuate its being used for the same purpose and the conclusion come to was that the property shall be deeded to the Corporation of Kingsville, as a home for a needy widow. Mrs. Kirby to have the use of it, rent free, till she remarries or till she dies, in either of which events, the council shall put another needy widow in possession on the same terms.

Amherstburg Echo, May 20, 1887 p.6


The Late Solomon Wigle Laid at Rest

The funeral of the late Solomon Wigle took place on Monday from his late residence, Main St. east, to Greenhill cemetery.

. . . He was the first to start a stage line between Windsor, Amherstburg and Blenheim, which continued until railroads arrived . . . He was a provisional director of the company which built the woollen mills, and a director of the Kingsville Natural Gas & Oil Co., of which later he was vice president at the time of his death. . . His family, all by his first wife, consisted of six sons and two daughters. The sons are Lewis, ex-M.P., Leamington; Gordon, Mayfield, California; Alfred, postmaster, Windsor, Elihu, deceased; Ernest S., barrister, Windsor; and Angus, on the old homestead. The daughters were Esther (Mrs. Dr. King), deceased, and Ella, who died at sixteen years.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 5, 1898 p.4

The Late Mrs. Maria J. Wigle

. . . She was a very cultured woman, a kind neighbor, and very pronounced in her ideas on all the great moral questions of the day. . . . Her life in Kingsville was one of helpfulness, and in her home she had practically been mother to two families, that of the late Solomon Wigle and of the late Dr. S.A. King. She never had any children of her own and has no living relatives excepting some cousins in Philadelphia. . . . The funeral took place from the home, Division street south, yesterday at 2.30, Rev. Mr. Martin and Rev. W.H. Ebersole officiating. The pall bearers were five step-sons and one step-grandson. Interment being made in the family plot, Greenhill cemetery.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1912 p.4

Herbert Scratch of this place was quietly married in Essex yesterday to Mrs. Douglas of that town. They will occupy the house recently purchased by Mr. Scratch from the Mrs. Solomon Wigle estate.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 19, 1912 p.5


Epworth United Church (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , , ,

56 Division Street South

The headline in The Kingsville Reporter on April 4th, 1935 was “Epworth United Church Burned.” As reported the following week: “There seems to be no doubt but that the fire started in or near the organ, and with all the electric current shut off, the origin of the outbreak is a still deeper mystery.” Epworth Methodist Church, designed by Chatham architect James L. Wilson, was built in 1893 with Thomas Jenner as the contractor, Woodiwiss Bros. as the brick and stone masons and H.R. Kratz responsible for the iron and tin work. Memorial Hall, which was built in 1922, was saved from the fire. The new church was designed by Windsor architect J.C. Pennington and built on much of the original stone foundation by the Oxley Bros. The “rebuilt Epworth United Church” was dedicated on April 19th, 1936.

Sunday last was a red letter day in the history of Methodism in Kingsville. On that day the fine new Epworth Church was opened for public worship. . . The church will cost $15,000, of this amount nearly $8,000 was provided for before the building was commenced, which with over $7,000 raised at the opening leaves the church free from debt. This grand result is due to the generosity and large heartedness of the members, adherents and friends of the Methodist denomination in this place.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 12, 1894 p.1


On June 10, 1925, Epworth Methodist Church became a unit in that brotherhood of Christians now known as “The United Church of Canada.” In our present membership of nearly one thousand, are former Presbyterians and Congregationalists. In January, 1935, the congregation unanimously adopted the government of the new church, with the result that Epworth United Church is now completely organized according to the provisions of the basis of Union.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9


The beautiful and impressive ceremony, the laying of the cornerstone, took place on Saturday afternoon, September 14th. The service was presided over by the pastor, Rev. J. Morley Colling. . . . Following dedication prayers by the pastor, Mr. Robert Healey, secretary of the building committee, gave a description of the contents of the box to be inserted in the stone, after which the cornerstone was officially laid by “Uncle Jack” Miner.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9

Church Dedication

On Sunday afternoon, the dedicatory services were held. A few minutes after three o’clock, the president of the London Conference, Rev. W.A. Walden, B.A., of London, and the ministers assisting him, entered the main door of the church, while the choir and congreation arose and sang the Doxology. . . . So large was the congregation that gathered to praise God after a year’s tireless efforts in rebuilding the church, that Chief of Police J.C. Babcock was called upon to direct traffic at the intersection of Division and Mill Streets, and cars were lined for several blocks on both sides of the two thoroughfares in the four directions.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.1

1 2