The Windsor Evening Record’s headline on September 14, 1907 was “WINDSOR, ESSEX & LAKE SHORE RY. WILL OPEN FOR TRAFFIC THURSDAY: Line That Was Promoted and Incorporated Over Six Years Ago is Finally Ready for Operation and Officials are Happy Over Fruition of Plans to Give Essex County the Finest-Equipped Electric Road on the Continent.” The W.E&L.S route ran from Windsor through Kingsville to Leamington. Being a major hub for the electric railway, many people came to Kingsville for employment. Roderick Smith moved to Kingsville from the Bruce Peninsula and became an engineer with the “interurban railway.” Roderick was married to Anna, daughter of Colin and Mary McDonald, in 1914 and they had this house built in 1919.
County Council Notes
A petition was presented, asking the Legislature to pass the Bill to incorporate the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway. It was moved by Messrs. Stone and Brett, that this council concur in the petition just read, and the Warden and Clerk sign same and attach the corporate seal and forward through our members to the Local Legislature. — Car.
The Comber Herald, January 31, 1901 p.1
Few radial lines have had more difficulties to contend with than the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore railway. Almost since its inception the company has been beset by obstacles that ranged from franchise restrictions of contrary councils to internal dissension over financial problems. Even the elements took a slap at the company and wrecked the power house at Kingsville when it was in course of construction. The promoters have had many an anxious hour and must have almost despaired of ultimate fulfilment of their plans, but they bid fair now to emerge triumphant and reap long-delayed returns on their investment.
The Windsor Evening Record, September 14, 1907 p.1
The Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Rapid Ry. Co.
Cars leave corner Ouellette avenue and Pitt street, Windsor, daily at 7.15 a.m., 9 a.m., 11.15 a.m., 1 p.m., 3.15 p.m., 5 p.m. and 8.15 p.m. for Pelton, Maidstone, Essex, Cottam, Kingsville, Ruthven and Leamington. On Sunday last car leaves Windsor at 10 p.m. for all points.
Express trains leave Windsor daily except Sunday at 10.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.
Phones: Passenger Office and Waiting Room 989. Freight Shed 1036. Cartage Office 24.
IVAN SHEPLY, Ticket Agent. A.J. SHRUM, Freight Agent, Windsor. A. EASTMAN, Gen’l Western union point Mgr. P.H. SCOTT, Traffic Mrg., Kingsville.
The Windsor Evening Record, December 29, 1910 p.5
The thirty-five employees of the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore interurban railway Saturday received official notice from the Ontario Hydro Commission which operates the line, that they will not be needed after September 15. The road is to be closed permanently on that date because directors have decided it cannot be operated at a profit.
The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1932 p.5
THESE MATERIALS ARE VITAL TO WAR INDUSTRY
METALS (PARTICULARLY THOSE OF IRON AND STEEL)
FATS AND BONES
[. . .]
DON’T THROW IT AWAY
THROW IT AT HITLER!
The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1942 p.2
Salvage of slightly more than 100 tons of steel rails, part of the old unused Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Railway, is being suggested by the Kingsville Town Council to the Dominion Salvage Committee. The rails are the property of the Guaranty Trust Company, trustees for the defunct railroad, and will bring abut $2,000 on the market. They are not cemented and would be easily removed.
The Leamington Post, April 2, 1942 p.7