Tag Archives: Mercer


The Alexandra Cottage (1902)

1 comment

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

235 Division Street South

The Alexandra Cottage was the second cottage built by D.H. McCay and G.W. Mercer for George W. Henry in 1902. Used as a rental property until 1912 when it was purchased by Brayton “Bert” Westcott and his wife Inez. Before moving to Kingsville, Bert was a “wholesale and retail dealer in wines, liquors and cigars” in Leamington, and also carried “the finest lines of port and sherry wines and malt stout for medicinal purposes.” After selling his shop to F.W. DeLaurier, Bert settled in Kingsville to become a full time sales agent for the Walkerville Brewery. Leamington not only lost their liquor dealer who provided “personal supervision” to all orders, but also their famed baseball pitcher, who was “the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom.”

Mrs. G.W. Henry and Mrs. Fowler entertained some eighty of their friends to a Hallowe’en party last evening at Alexandra cottage. The cottage was very tastefully decorated for the occasion. The evening was spent with Hallowe’en games, participated in by both old and young, at the close of which a very sumptuous repast was provided. Everyone went away happy and only feeling sorry that Hallowe’en, accompanied by such an entertainment provided, did not occur oftener. The young ladies were dressed in antiquated costumes, which created considerable merriment. The electrician had the electric lights arranged in very artistic style for the occasion.

The Windsor Evening Record, November 3, 1902 p.3

The old hilarious game of baseball seems to have lost something of the fire and brimstone that old-time conflicts used to fan. ‘Member them games played between the old Ruthven Invincibles and Leamington, when Ruthven, always just a little too hefty, used to drub us. ‘Member when the mighty Bert Westcott came to town, heralded as the pitcher to beat the Ruthven farmers back to their ploughshares? Mr. Westcott was the first performer to introduce the body wind-up into local fandom. As I recall it, this new article was something superb. We kids all sought to emulate the gymnastic, much to the risk of bones. It was a sort of a super-contortion, which in process gave the spectator a perfect idea of the evolution of a pretsel (sic). ‘Member the first ball delivered to the late George Orton, mighty slugger of the old Invincibles? Well, our pitcher unwound himself and catapulted the ball. There resounded two sharp snaps, one when George clipped the hissing sphere, and another when the rebounding bullet smacked Bert square on the nose. That ended the game. Darn them Ruthven farmers! After that smack it always struck us that Bert’s nose seemed sort o’ drawin’ back, like as if forever apprehensive of flying missiles.

The Leamington Post, June 22, 1933 p.2

B.G. Westcott Passes Away in Leam. Hospital

Funeral services for the late Brayton Graham (Bert) Westcott 83 years; who died in Leamington District Memorial Hospital on Sunday following a short illness was held from the Ferguson Funeral Home in Kingsville on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. with Rev. F.M. Ward officiating. Interment was in Lakeview cemetery, Leamington.

Deceased was born at Wapoose Island, Ont., son of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Westoctt. He was educated in Dresden. Later the family moved to Leamington and in 1910 came to Kingsville. He was employed in the Sales Dept. of the Walkerville Brewery for 50 years.

Mrs. Westcott predeceased her husband 13 years ago.

He was a member of St. Georges Lodge A.F. and A.M. No. 41 Kingsville, and of the Mocha Shrine Lodge in London.

Surviving is one son, William of Birmingham, Mich., three grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 16, 1953 p.1


Robin’s Nest (1902)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , ,

247 Division Street South

1902 was a very good year for fruit farmer George W. Henry. His fruit exporting business was so successful that needed to build an addition to his warehouse near the Kingsville Train Station. It was also the year that Henry branched out into the cottage business. Already owning two cottages, Henry purchased two other vacant lots on Division Street South and hired D.H. McCay and G.W. Mercer as his contractors. Building began in March and when completed by June 1st, this cottage was christened “Robin’s Nest.” Spending more and more time in California, Henry sold his cottages in 1914 and Robin’s Nest became the summer home of Dr. John Brown from Toronto. Later years saw Robin’s Nest converted into a duplex with an “attractive flat above furnished to rent.”

The G.W. Henry cottages are nearly complete and are most picturesque and beautiful in style.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 8, 1902 p.5

Mr. G.W. Henry has gone east where he will be for several weeks overseeing the packing and shipping of 7,000 barrels of apples, the Henry Co. have bought and are sending to the Old Country markets.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 30, 1909 p.5

Removing to Pasedena Cal.

Mr and Mrs G.W. Henry and Miss Maud Henry leave our town this week after a residence here of twenty years. They will visit with Mrs. Henry’s sister in Detroit for a couple of weeks before they leave for Pasadena. Mr. Henry has a home there and it is his intention to permanently reside in California. The best wishes of a large circle of friends goe (sic) with them.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 5, 1918 p.1

Wanted:  ROOMERS – For fall and winter months, refined couple, home privileges. “Robin’s Nest” Division St., near car line.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 29, 1925 p.1


Alan Richards has taken a position as watchmaker with McCreery’s Jewellery.

Mr and Mrs Richards and son Martyn arrived in Canada only recently from Cardiff, Wales where he owned and operated his own jewellery business.

The family is at present staying at the Cowan Tourist Home, but will take up permanent residence in the Robin’s Nest apartment, formerly occupied by Jamie and family.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 26, 1957 p.1


James & Mabel Coate House (1900)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , , ,

68 Division Street South

A two-storey frame house was built in 1881 by James Workman King, just north of the brick house he was planning to build (86 Division Street South). The home was quite modest and was used to house his “hired men,” and later became a rental property. In the fall of 1899, J.W.’s daughter Mabel became engaged to James R. Coate, a local hardware merchant. Mabel was given the frame house on Division St. S. in anticipation of the wedding the following spring. Her fiancé purchased a house from John D. Wigle, who was preparing to build his own brick residence, moved it to Mabel’s lot and attached it to the original home. When completed in 1900, the home was described as “one of the nicest and most convenient in town. The wood used in the interior is ash finished in oil, giving a very pretty effect. It is electric lighted throughout and piped for hot and cold water. The woodwork on the structure was done by G.W. Mercer and reflects credit upon that gentleman’s skill and taste as a workman.”

Marriage of Mr. J.R. Coate and Miss Mabel King.

A pretty wedding in Kingsville on Wednesday was that of Miss Mabel King, daughter of Mr. James King and Mr. James [Richard] Lamont Coate.

The church, the home of the bride, and the adjoining residence of Mrs. Curtis Green, sister of the bride, where the wedding breakfast was served, were most beautifully decorated with a profusion of ferns and pink and white roses.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Anderson at the Church of the Epiphany.

Punctually at three o’clock the bride looking lovelier than ever in her dainty bride robe of white silk and chiffon and wearing the usual veil, entered the church leaning on the arm of her father. Then followed the two little flower girls, Muriel Green, niece of the bride, and Marjory McKay, both looking sweet in fluffy white dresses and wearing wreaths of pink rosebuds and carrying sweet peas.

The bridesmaids, Miss Gertrude King, sister of the bride, and Miss Laura King, cousin of the bride, looking very pretty in white organdie dresses trimmed with white satin ribbon and lace, and large white hats trimmed with pink Meline and carrying pink roses.

The best man was Mr. Wesley Petch of Detroit and the ushers were Mr. Fred Allworth, Mr. Abram Green, Mr. George King and Mr. Charles King.

A reception was held at the bride’s home to seventy friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Coate left on the evening train for Chicago and other western points.

The popularity of the bride was shown by the great number of costly and magnificent wedding presents.

The flower decorations at the church were placed under the direction of Mrs. Dr. White, and were remarked upon by those present as the finest they had ever seen at a similar function. Mrs. White’s well known taste in such matters was amply displayed in the beautiful arrangement of roses and other potted plants around the chancel in the windows, around the chandeliers and twined about the doors, while the collection of ferns was probably the largest ever seen in Kingsville.

Miss Dollie Forster presided at the organ and played the wedding march.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 21, 1900 p.4

T.J. Salmoni has purchased the J.R. Coate residence on Division street south and will move into it on Oct. 1.

Amherstburg Echo, September 18, 1903 p.6

Ex-Mayor Salmoni Sells His Residence

W.A. Smith bought Salmoni’s house west side Division street south. Salmoni will built east side Division. Smith sold his house on the corner opposite the park to W.A. Russell of Guelph.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 12, 1919 p.1

The residence of W.A. Smith which he recently purchased from T.J. Salmoni has been re-rooted, partially resided and a fine verandah built on the east end and south side and the whole repainted, making it one of the finest appearing residences on the street.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 14, 1919 p.5