Tag Archives: Quick


Colin C. & Dorothy Quick House (1954)

No comments yet

Categories: 1950s, Tags:

277277 Division Street South

Colin Cornelius (Neil) Quick, an electrical contractor, had this home built in 1954. That was also the year Kingsville was “changed over” from 25 to 60-cycle frequency by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. The previous year hydro employees spent a week in Kingsville, going house to house, taking inventory of all “frequency sensitive equipment.” The estimate for the changeover was 3,700 appliances: “including approximately 850 washing machines, nearly 600 refrigerators and 350 record players.” During the 2-week changeover in April 1954, hydro crews visited every
home with replacement parts to adapt appliances to operate at the higher frequency. A special “Clock and Fan Depot” was set up on Main Street West to exchange older clocks and fans that couldn’t be converted.

Kingsville is to be invaded on April 19. But it will be a peaceful invasion with the white-overalled army infiltrating into the town at 8 o’clock each morning and retiring in good order at 4:30 p.m. The invaders will arrive in a fleet of red trucks, from which their crews will dismount armed with metal containers of various shapes and sizes.

Townspeople, however, may breathe freely, for the red trucks will bear the familiar insignia of the Ontario Hydro Commission, and the crews’ metal containers will hold only peaceful tools.

Cause of the invasion is change-over from 25 to 60-cycle frequency in Kingsville.

Details Noted

This descent upon the town by this army will not come altogether as a surprise, because citizens will remember the reconnaissance patrols who came last year and went into every house, store, office and factory, noting in large books the details of every piece of frequency sensitive equipment, from the washing machine found in nearly every basement to the calculating machines in the banks.

During this operation, which has been timed with military precision to be completed in 12 working days. Hydro crews will change over for domestic customers an estimated 3,700 appliances. These will include approximately 850 washing machines, nearly 600 refrigerators and 350 record players. In addition, some 650 clocks and 200 fans will either be standardized or exchanged for new 60-cycle models.

The invaders’ heavy transport will deliver to each home on the morning of changeover day the replacement parts needed for appliances to operate at the higher frequency. Outside homes on the street being “cut over” will be seen crates containing 60-cycle refrigerator units, while in boxes there will usually be motors and pulleys for washing machines and parts for other appliances.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 4, 1954 p.1

Even a Hydro changeover has its humor. We are told that in every town there is a small percentage of consumers that can’t see any advantage in 60 cycle. They maintain that if the flickering 25-cycle lights were good enough for their grandparents, they are good enough for them.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 22, 1954 p.1

For the information of those who are curious, there are over 100 Hydro trucks in town at present and between 250 and 300 workers. One of the outstanding features of the “changeover” is the courtesy shown by the workmen both in homes and places of business.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1954 p.1

C.C. Quick Passes at 80

Colin C (Neil) Quick, age 80 years, passed away Sunday, July 23, 1989 at Leamington District Memorial Hospital. Late of Leamington and formerly of Kingsville.

Beloved husband of Dorothy R. (nee Leach). Dear father of Robert M. Quick and wife, Diane, Rochester Hills, Mich, and Margaret A. Baltzer and fiancé Jay Ardiel, Leamington. Dear grandfather of Deborah and Jennifer Quick of Rochester Hills, Mich., and Kimberly A. Baltzer, Leamington.

[. . .] Mr. Quick was an electrical contractor for 25 years in the Kingsville area.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 25, 1989 p.3


Delbert Quick House (1920)


Categories: 1920s, Tags: , , ,

110110 Division Street South

In June 1900 Charles Arthur Quick purchased J.H. Smart’s “Mammoth” store, located on the northwest corner of Division and Main, for $4,000. Unfortunately, eight months later it burned to the ground. Quick rebuilt on the site, and opened his grocery and dry goods store in the summer of 1901. Charles retired in 1917 and the business was carried on by his sons Delbert, Drayton and Stanley under the name C.A. Quick and Sons. Delbert had been working in B.C. learning the trade, but came back and married Myrtle Ballah in 1916 and they had this home built in 1920. In addition to running the family store, Del was very active in community organizations, served on Town Council and was on the committee responsible for bringing a high school to Kingsville.

Serious Fire

The Smart Block Goes Up in Smoke

Chas. A. Quick who Owned and Occupied the Building is a Heavy Loser

The Kingsville Reporter, February 28, 1901 p.1

The Quick block is beginning to take tangible shape. A gang of men are at work, and by this time next week it will be the scene of considerable activity. The building will be 128 feet long by 32 wide, solid brick, two stories high. There will be four stores in the block, two facing Main st. and two facing Division st. The second story will be used for residential purposes. Mr. Quick is not certain just when the building will be ready for occupation, but it will be finished as fast as workmen can lay material together.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 4, 1901 p.5

Del. Quick has purchased the Loop lot, formerly the Duggan property, on Division street south, and will erect a home on it for himself.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 25, 1919 p.5

A Complete Loss – Will Rebuild

Early on Tuesday evening last Essex High School took fire in the furnace room, and in a short time the building was reduced to a mass of ruins. The blaze is thought to have originated from an overheated furnace.

Some 40 students from this town go to Essex every morning.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 17, 1921 p.1

An option has been secured on the Mrs. Harris property, north side of Main street east, for a high school site.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1921 p.5

Organized effort towards the erection of a High School in Kingsville, is being made, and the various steps required before plans can be procured and tenders called for are being taken. In addition to passing the by-law electing Kingsville into a High school district, the County Council, last week, appointed H.C. Layman, R.H. Pickard and W.T. Conklin county representatives on the new High School Board, while the town appointed W.A. Smith, Del Quick and C.W. Hendershot.

The Essex Free Press, April 1, 1921 p.7

Longtime Businessman Delbert Quick Passes

Delbert Quick of 110 Division St. South, Kingsville, passed away on Saturday, Nov. 8th at Leamington District Memorial Hospital at the age of 89 years.

Mr. Quick was born in the Kingsville area where he resided all his life. He was retired and former owner of C.A. Quick and Son Department Store in Kingsville for many years. He was a member of Epworth United Church , Kingsville; a former member of the Kingsville High School Board, Kingsville Town Council and Hydro Commission; an honorary member of the Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion and a member of St. George’s Lodge No. 41, A.F. & A.M.

Mr. Quick was a past president of the Kingsville Board of Trade, an organizing member of the old Kingsville Horticultural Society and an ardent hunter.

Surviving are his widow, Margaret (nee Mandley); one son, Lloyd Arthur of Brockville; one daughter, Della (Mrs. Harrold Hayford) of Naperville, Illinois; two step-sons, Fred W. Young of Maples, Ont. and Kenneth E. Young of Richmond Hill; 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 12, 1975 p.1


John Lampman House (1888)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , ,

104 Division Street South

Lumber dealer, Elihu Scratch, built a residence on Division Street South in 1887. The following year, Scratch built this home on the south portion of his property and it was referred to as the “Store House.” In 1889, the home was purchased by Colin and Mary McDonald, who had been living on the McDonald family farm west of Kingsville. While living on Division Street South, Colin was a “teamster” and kept two horses for delivering wood and moving small buildings. Colin and his family moved back to the McDonald farm in 1897 when his widowed mother became ill. The house was rented out, first to George Pearse and later to John and Melissa Lampman, who bought the property in 1906. John was a ‘jockey,’ making deliveries from Elihu Scratch’s wood and coal yard. Melissa died in 1913, John in 1927 and the home was inherited by George Lampman, their only child. George lived in Kincardine and used this house as a rental property, selling it in 1938 to Delbert Quick who also used it as an income property, referring to it as the “North House.”

On Wednesday next, March 1st, from 5 to 8 o’clock, the Baptist Ladies’ Aid will hold a 15¢ tea and apron sale at the home of Mrs. Lampman Division st. Everybody welcome.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 23, 1911 p.5

FOR SALE. One corn crib, one lumber wagon, one top buggy, one hay rack, one set of bobsleighs. Write GEO. LAMPMAN, Kincardine or call on JOHN LAMPMAN, Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1914 p.5

Mr. George Lampman and his son, of Kincardine, were in town on Monday last. Mr. Lampman is an old Kingville boy, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Lampman whose home was on Division street, next to the Del. Quick residence. Mr. Lampman is in the mercantile business in Kincardine, and has been doing a propserous business there for some years.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 16, 1937 p.5