Tag Archives: Smith


Branch 188 Royal Canadian Legion (1968)

No comments yet

Categories: 1960s, Tags: , , ,

145145 Division Street South

The Royal Canadian Legion, Kingsville Branch 188 was established in 1930. Prior to the “Post” being formed, local War Veterans gathered in their club above Sivern’s Shoe Shop on Main Street West. Needing a larger meeting space, the Legion purchased a unit of the Union Block in the 1940s and remained there until this building was opened in 1968. Attending the dedication ceremony was Lt. Col. Fredrick Kent Jasperson, who “led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were suffered and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German Camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.”

War Veteran’s Association Formed in Kingsville

On Monday last at the call of Major George C. King, the local war veterans met in Mr. Siverns’ hall and enthusiastically agreed to form themselves into an association for the furtherance of their mutual comradeship.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 19, 1925 p.1

Branch of Legion Formed at Kingsville

A successful organization meeting was held in the Kingsville War Veterans’ club rooms last Thursday evening by local veterans to establish a post of the Canadian Legion. There were approximately 70 ex-soldiers present, including members of the Sandwich, Walkerville, Prince Edward and Leamington Posts.

Zone Representative J. Linegar, who is also president of the Walkerville Post, occupied the chair. A motion was sponsored by Capt. Austin B. Smith, M.L.A., to form a Post at Kingsville, and this was carried unanimously.

The following officers have been elected: Honorary presidents, Major G.C. King, Capt. A.B. Smith, M.L.A.; chaplain, Capt. Rev. S.P. Irwin; president, J.P. Golden; first-vice president, Edward Lucas; second vice-president, J.C. Cook; treasurer, William Linsley; secretary, C.R. McCallum. The executive consists of David Clark, Fred Gooden and Alfred White.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 27, 1930 p.5


A large crowd of people assembled on Sunday last, at 2:30, at the Church of the Epiphany, to witness the unveiling of the cenotaph – a memorial to the soldiers from this town and vicinity who laid down their lives in the Great War, while fighting in defence of a righteous cause. Upward of 2,000 persons were in attendance, and although a light rain came, it was of short duration.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 6, 1935 p.1

Canadian Legion Building Dedicated

The official dedication of the Lt. Col. F. K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion Hall took place on Saturday afternoon, Nov. 23rd.

A ceremonial parade of color parties, pipe bands and Legionnaires from Forest, Branch 176; Wheatley, Leamington, Essex Amherstburg and Kingsville led by Parade Marshall B. A. R. Traynor marched from the old Legion Hall to the new building.

[. . .] Julius Stomp Sr. was emphatic that it was with great pleasure to welcome everyone and thank them for their respect shown to Branch 188 on this day. During the dedication those who lost their lives through conflicts and those who were not present were remembered. The dream of a new building created interest which has constantly increased, he said. The new building is to serve the community and since the community is comparatively small a tremendous amount of work and effort was required for the final accomplishment.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 28, 1968 p.1

Car Accident Claims Life of Colonel Fred Jasperson

Lieutenant Colonel Fredrick Kent Jasperson, Q.C., D.S.O., was killed in an automobile accident on Monday, May 18, 1982. Mr. Jasperson was travelling south on Howard Avenue in Malden Township when he was in collision with a westbound truck on Pike Road. The accident occurred at 3:07 p.m. [. . .]

Colonel Jasperson was born in Kingsville and received his public school education here in town, and his high schooling in Leamington. He received his Bachelors Degree in Political Science from the University of Toronto in 1925 and graduated second in his class in law at Osgoode Hall, Toronto. The John Beverly Robinson Scholarship was awarded to him at this time. He law practice began in Windsor that same year.

Mr. Jasperson joined the 21st Essex Fusiliers (a militia unit) and later gained a major’s rank before the war in the Essex Scottish Regiment. In 1942, he became Lieutenant Colonel and had command of the regiment during World War II.

He led the Essex Scottish Regiment on a raid on Dieppe, August 19, 1942, where heavy casualties were sufferec and he was taken as a prisoner of war at a German camp at Eichstadt until June of 1945.

While a prisoner of war, he aided interested men to study law from books that were received from Osgoode Hall, sent by the Red Cross.

Upon his return, he farmed in Kingsville for a short time, and wrote short stories, some of which were published in Maclean’s Magazine.

In 1946, he appeared before the Privy Council. He was a member of the parole board for two years covering provincial institutions in Toronto, Sudbury, Guelph, etc.

In 1946, he received the Distinguished Service Order from King George VI.

Upon recieving the Distinguished Service Order, the following is the citation received:

“Lt.-Col. Jasperson was in command of the Essex Scottish Regiment in the Dieppe assault on August 19, 1942, and landed with the first wave of troops on the main beach. The landing craft successfully touched down and the attack in waves was pushed forward across the beach through heavy barbed wire obstacles until they reached the sea wall. Immediately in front of the sea wall stretched a broad esplanade which was protected by a series of barbed wire entanglements and the esplanade beyond were under continual heavy enemy fire of all calibres. A number of attempts were made by parties of the unit to cross the esplanade or work around the western end. One party successfully entered the town.

Lt.-Col. Jasperson made repeated efforts to push forward and secure the original objective. Despite every effort, little progress was made and eventually the beach on which he landed was overrun and Lt.-Col. Jasperson with many of his officers and men was captured. This officer displayed complete disregard for his own safety, continuously exposing himself to enemy fire in his endeavour to get his unit forward. The spirit shown by this officer in the face of impossible odds was an inspiration to all ranks of the Essex Scottish Regiment.”

The Kingsville Reporter, May 19, 1982 p.1


Delbert Quick House (1920)


Categories: 1920s, Tags: , , ,

110110 Division Street South

In June 1900 Charles Arthur Quick purchased J.H. Smart’s “Mammoth” store, located on the northwest corner of Division and Main, for $4,000. Unfortunately, eight months later it burned to the ground. Quick rebuilt on the site, and opened his grocery and dry goods store in the summer of 1901. Charles retired in 1917 and the business was carried on by his sons Delbert, Drayton and Stanley under the name C.A. Quick and Sons. Delbert had been working in B.C. learning the trade, but came back and married Myrtle Ballah in 1916 and they had this home built in 1920. In addition to running the family store, Del was very active in community organizations, served on Town Council and was on the committee responsible for bringing a high school to Kingsville.

Serious Fire

The Smart Block Goes Up in Smoke

Chas. A. Quick who Owned and Occupied the Building is a Heavy Loser

The Kingsville Reporter, February 28, 1901 p.1

The Quick block is beginning to take tangible shape. A gang of men are at work, and by this time next week it will be the scene of considerable activity. The building will be 128 feet long by 32 wide, solid brick, two stories high. There will be four stores in the block, two facing Main st. and two facing Division st. The second story will be used for residential purposes. Mr. Quick is not certain just when the building will be ready for occupation, but it will be finished as fast as workmen can lay material together.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 4, 1901 p.5

Del. Quick has purchased the Loop lot, formerly the Duggan property, on Division street south, and will erect a home on it for himself.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 25, 1919 p.5

A Complete Loss – Will Rebuild

Early on Tuesday evening last Essex High School took fire in the furnace room, and in a short time the building was reduced to a mass of ruins. The blaze is thought to have originated from an overheated furnace.

Some 40 students from this town go to Essex every morning.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 17, 1921 p.1

An option has been secured on the Mrs. Harris property, north side of Main street east, for a high school site.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1921 p.5

Organized effort towards the erection of a High School in Kingsville, is being made, and the various steps required before plans can be procured and tenders called for are being taken. In addition to passing the by-law electing Kingsville into a High school district, the County Council, last week, appointed H.C. Layman, R.H. Pickard and W.T. Conklin county representatives on the new High School Board, while the town appointed W.A. Smith, Del Quick and C.W. Hendershot.

The Essex Free Press, April 1, 1921 p.7

Longtime Businessman Delbert Quick Passes

Delbert Quick of 110 Division St. South, Kingsville, passed away on Saturday, Nov. 8th at Leamington District Memorial Hospital at the age of 89 years.

Mr. Quick was born in the Kingsville area where he resided all his life. He was retired and former owner of C.A. Quick and Son Department Store in Kingsville for many years. He was a member of Epworth United Church , Kingsville; a former member of the Kingsville High School Board, Kingsville Town Council and Hydro Commission; an honorary member of the Lt. Col. F.K. Jasperson (Ont. 188) Royal Canadian Legion and a member of St. George’s Lodge No. 41, A.F. & A.M.

Mr. Quick was a past president of the Kingsville Board of Trade, an organizing member of the old Kingsville Horticultural Society and an ardent hunter.

Surviving are his widow, Margaret (nee Mandley); one son, Lloyd Arthur of Brockville; one daughter, Della (Mrs. Harrold Hayford) of Naperville, Illinois; two step-sons, Fred W. Young of Maples, Ont. and Kenneth E. Young of Richmond Hill; 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 12, 1975 p.1


Roderick & Anna Smith House (1919)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , ,

221221 Division Street South

The Windsor Evening Record’s headline on September 14, 1907 was “WINDSOR, ESSEX & LAKE SHORE RY. WILL OPEN FOR TRAFFIC THURSDAY: Line That Was Promoted and Incorporated Over Six Years Ago is Finally Ready for Operation and Officials are Happy Over Fruition of Plans to Give Essex County the Finest-Equipped Electric Road on the Continent.” The W.E&L.S route ran from Windsor through Kingsville to Leamington. Being a major hub for the electric railway, many people came to Kingsville for employment. Roderick Smith moved to Kingsville from the Bruce Peninsula and became an engineer with the “interurban railway.” Roderick was married to Anna, daughter of Colin and Mary McDonald, in 1914 and they had this house built in 1919.

County Council Notes

A petition was presented, asking the Legislature to pass the Bill to incorporate the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway. It was moved by Messrs. Stone and Brett, that this council concur in the petition just read, and the Warden and Clerk sign same and attach the corporate seal and forward through our members to the Local Legislature. — Car.

The Comber Herald, January 31, 1901 p.1

Few radial lines have had more difficulties to contend with than the Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore railway. Almost since its inception the company has been beset by obstacles that ranged from franchise restrictions of contrary councils to internal dissension over financial problems. Even the elements took a slap at the company and wrecked the power house at Kingsville when it was in course of construction. The promoters have had many an anxious hour and must have almost despaired of ultimate fulfilment of their plans, but they bid fair now to emerge triumphant and reap long-delayed returns on their investment.

The Windsor Evening Record, September 14, 1907 p.1


The Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Rapid Ry. Co.

Cars leave corner Ouellette avenue and Pitt street, Windsor, daily at 7.15 a.m., 9 a.m., 11.15 a.m., 1 p.m., 3.15 p.m., 5 p.m. and 8.15 p.m. for Pelton, Maidstone, Essex, Cottam, Kingsville, Ruthven and Leamington. On Sunday last car leaves Windsor at 10 p.m. for all points.

Express trains leave Windsor daily except Sunday at 10.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.

Phones: Passenger Office and Waiting Room 989. Freight Shed 1036. Cartage Office 24.

IVAN SHEPLY, Ticket Agent. A.J. SHRUM, Freight Agent, Windsor. A. EASTMAN, Gen’l Western union point Mgr. P.H. SCOTT, Traffic Mrg., Kingsville.

The Windsor Evening Record, December 29, 1910 p.5

The thirty-five employees of the Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore interurban railway Saturday received official notice from the Ontario Hydro Commission which operates the line, that they will not be needed after September 15. The road is to be closed permanently on that date because directors have decided it cannot be operated at a profit.

The Kingsville Reporter, August 18, 1932 p.5


[. . .]


The Kingsville Reporter, January 22, 1942 p.2

Salvage of slightly more than 100 tons of steel rails, part of the old unused Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Railway, is being suggested by the Kingsville Town Council to the Dominion Salvage Committee. The rails are the property of the Guaranty Trust Company, trustees for the defunct railroad, and will bring abut $2,000 on the market. They are not cemented and would be easily removed.

The Leamington Post, April 2, 1942 p.7



Frank R. & Julia Webb House (1909)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

59 Division Street South

Charles Warren Hendershot moved from Petrolia to Kingsville in 1896 with his new wife, Katherine Webb, to open up a “Dry Goods, Gents’ Furnishings” store in the Grenville Block. Within a year, he purchased the house at 53 Division Street South from Dr. Andrew Wigle and opened another branch of his store in the Wigle Block. In 1909 Katherine’s parents, Frank R. and Julia Webb, returned to Kingsville from Blenheim and had this house built by the Oxley Bros. on a lot purchased from the Hendershots. Charles also sold Frank his Wigle Block business, which Webb ran until his death in 1922. Martha, the widow of George A. Grenville, purchased this home in 1913 and she lived there for 25 years until it was sold to Fred O. Graham.

Mr. F.R. Webb has sold his store business in Blenheim and will remove here as soon as his new house is ready for occupation. We welcome him back to our town and hope that in the future he will not make the mistake of trying to find a better town to live in, because such a town is not yet in existence.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 1, 1908 p.5

Mr. F.R. Webb has purchased the C. Hendershot & Co.’s stock of clothing and furnishings and took possession on Saturday last. He is inaugurating a clearing sale at which people may depend on getting good value for their money. In another column will be found Mr. Webb’s announcement for this week. His terms are cash and one price to all and money back if purchase not satisfactory.

The Kingsville Reporter, 28 October 1909 p.5

Mrs. Grenville moved last week to her home opposite the Methodist parsonage which she purchased from Mr. F.R. Webb. She has some improvements put on the house in the form of a fine verandah at the rear, and has now one of the most cozy and comfortable homes in Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 22, 1913 p.5

Barrister W.A. Smith and family will occupy Mrs. Grenville’s home on Division street south for the winter months taking possession January 1st.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 19, 1918 p.5

Mr. Lockwood and his bride, are occupying the Mrs. Grenville home, Division street south, for a few weeks.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 29, 1920 p.5

W.T. Conklin has rented Mrs. Grenville’s home on Division St. south and moved into same on Thursday last. Mrs. Grenville will spend the winter in St. Petersburg, Fla., leaving here shortly after Christmas.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 3, 1921 p.5


Lakeside Park (1907)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , , ,

Division Street South & Herrington Street

Designated in 2007

The Windsor, Essex and Lake Shore Rapid Railway began service from Windsor to Kingsville in 1907. At the time, Kingsville’s population was 1,578. To take advantage of new tourism opportunities, Kingsville Town Council explored the idea of developing a public park on the lake shore. A by-law to “raise by way of loan the sum of $5,000.00 for the purpose of purchasing and improving that land described as Block ‘G’ on the south side of Harrington (sic) Street […] for the purpose of a Public Park” was put to a public vote. The park by-law passed with a vote of 168 to 48, and Lakeside Park was opened to the public in the summer of 1907. The pavilion, designed by Windsor architects Crane and Pennington, was built in 1913 by James Countess at a cost of $2,250.

As the street railway line nears completion, people from Windsor and Detroit are beginning to look this way for residential property. With the acquisition of a beautiful park, the desirability of Kingsville as a place of residence will be still greater.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 16, 1907 p.5


We have, as a town, much to be thankful for. One of the best harbors on the lakes, a first-class steamboat, beautiful churches, a graded school of seven departments none can beat. Several blocks as good as any town has, and live, progressive merchants, grand avenues of maples with best silex walks, good grist and flour mill, large woollen mill (a prize winner), large canning factory, evaporator, three big tobacco factories, grain and produce buyers and foreign shippers, large planing mill and lumber yard, the leading blacksmith shop of the county, pump factory, two banks, two hotels and livery barns, large furniture store, water works (none better), natural gas in abundance, splendid fire department, the finest natural park in Western Ont., good steam railway service, live printing office, three best physicians, several skilled machinists and inventors, hardware and paint stores, groceries and bakeries, millinery and clothing stores, many of them, and a climax to all the many above blessings, one of the latest equipped electrical railways in Canada, the elegant cars, now upon our streets, are the direct evidence, the beautiful power house, machinery and car barns, at the lake only show the master hands and energetic minds and Co. who are in control. Yes, Wiggins can keep his extra moon, the old one is good enough for us. Too much light might spoil us. Yes, let our neighbors have the Wiggins moon, to help them see their way to a park and R.R. franchise.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.1

Geo. W. Cady has presented the park committee here with 100 fine European elms. They are worth $1.00 a piece. No doubt the committee will appreciate gifts of trees from any citizen who wishes to show a similar public spirit.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 13, 1907 p.5

Anyone willing to contribute shade or ornamental trees for the town park this spring, will please inform the Secretary, Geo. Pearse.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 2, 1908 p.5

Lakeside Park Improvement

The Park commission have had set out about 250 trees of all kinds, built another bridge in the creek near the beach, and got a potato patch under cultivation on the flats, so far this season. In another year the park will present quite a different appearance. If the fringe of poplars along the beach, east of the creek, were topped, the view of the lake would not be so completely cut off as at present. The unsightly old hedge also ought to be destroyed in some way. We believe it is the intention to thoroaghly (sic) cultivate the flats at the north side this year, then level, seed and roll it, so as to put it in shape for a ball ground.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 21, 1908 p.8

The New Pavilion.

At a special meeting of the council on Monday evening the Mayor [W.A. Smith] submitted plans and specifications of a pavilion for the town park, prepared by Messrs. Crane and Pennington, of Windsor. The council approved of the plans and decided to proceed with the work of construction so far as possible this year. Tenders for the work are asked for and will be considered at a meeting of the council to be held Monday Nov. 25th. The pillars will be of field stone and will be supplied by the council. The council will be glad to have contributions of stone from any farmers who would like to assist in this way in the erection of a building intended as much for the accommodation of the township residents as of the town.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 14, 1912 p.1

1 2