Tag Archives: Stewart


Ira &#38 Clarissa Loop House (1880)


Categories: 1880s, Tags: ,

116 Division Street South

Ira Loop, local fisherman, married Clarissa Geauvreau on New Year’s Eve 1868. The following May, they purchased a vacant lot on Division Street South from Lucinda Stewart for $55 and built a small house. By 1880, Ira and Clarissa had four children (Minnie, Gordon, Cecelia and Urias) and were able to have this home built, which increased their property assessment from $300 to $800. According to the the 1881 Census, the Loops had a ‘dwelling’ and a ‘shanty’ on their property. In addition to building boats and fishing with his brothers, Ira also owned a lime kiln in the 1880s and ran a billiards hall in the 1900s. Ira died of cancer in 1908 at the age of 62 and Clarissa remained in their home until her death in 1922.


One of those happy events that seem so appropriate at this time of the year when all are expected to be happy and to make others happy, occurred at the home of Mr. Ira Loop, on Division st., on Tuesday last, when Miss Minnie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Loop was united in marriage with Mr. John P. Schoenberger, of Mercersburg, Pa.

A large number of guest, relatives and friends of the bride were present and although a tinge of sadness at the thought of parting was apparent in all, yet each helped to make the occasion as merry as a marriage bell.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 8, 1893 p.8


A very pretty matrimonial event took place at the residence of Mr. Ira Loop on Tuesday, 22nd inst., at 3 p.m., when his daughter, Cecelia, was united in holy bonds to Mr. Leroy C. Middough, son of J.S. Middough, of this town, but now of Cleveland, Ohio.

Miss Anna Wigle was bridesmaid, while W___ Clifford acted as best man.

The bride looked charming in a dress of cream mohair, trimmed in cream satin. The bridemaid’s attire was similar – cream henrietta, trimmed in cream satin. Both wore wreaths of smilax and roses.

The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Medd, of Ruthven, who has won a good reputation in this line of his profession, and was witnessed by about fifty guests, – young friends and relatives of the contracting parties.

After the knot had been tied hard and fast, and the company had got settled down after congratulations, &c., lunch was served.

The presents would make a long list and were both useful and costly.

The Kingsville Reporter, December 25, 1896 p.4


Plan of Kingsville (1850)

No comments yet

Categories: Maps & Plans - 1850s, Tags: , ,

Plan of the Town of Kingsville

as Surveyed and laid off by John A. Wilkinson, Deputy Surveyor

Sandwich 29th Jan’y 1850

To prepare for application for Kingsville to receive a post office, an official plan for the ‘town’ had to be surveyed. Division Line was the boundary between Andrew Stewart’s lot and Richard Herrington’s. Together with Col. James King, Stewart and Herrington laid out building lots from Mill Street north to Water Street and Prince Albert Street east to Spruce Street.

Except for the northeast corner of Pearl Street and Division Street South, all the building lots on Division Street South faced Main Street, Pearl Street and Mill Street.

The lots were measured using ‘chain’ and ‘link’ units. One ‘chain’ equals 66 feet and one ‘link’ is .66 feet. Main and Division streets are a full one chain in width while the side streets are .75 chain (or 75 links or 49.5 feet).  Most of the building lots were 1.25 by 2 chains (82.5 by 132 feet).

According to the plan, the lots were marked with “stone & c” which stands for “stone and crockery.” As described in 1891’s A Manual of Land Surveying by F. Hodgman and C.F.R. Bellows:

If a rough stone or boulder is used for a monument, it should either be so large as not to be moved by any ordinary accident or so firmly imbedded in the earth as to defy the plow or the road maker. If of a kind common in the vicinity, it should be very plainly marked and have some foreign material like brick, iron, glass, or crockery imbedded around it, to identify it by.