Tag Archives: Woodiwiss


Thomas J. Salmoni House (1920)

No comments yet

Categories: 1920s, Tags: ,

9191 Division Street South

Thomas J. Salmoni moved from Amherstburg to Kingsville in 1896 and purchased the grocery business of W.H. Nelson. At the time, he was described as having “energy and push combined
with years of experience” that would “ensure him a good share of public patronage.” T.J. operated his grocery store for 57 years in the Grenville Block (south side of Main St. W.), which he purchased in 1906, and he built a warehouse on the corner of Main and Chestnut in 1918. Salmoni and his family lived at 68 Division Street South from 1903 until 1919 and the following year they moved into their newly-built brick home. In addition to his successful business, T.J. was also a member of Town Council, Chairman of the High School Board and Mayor of Kingsville for four years.

Ex-Mayor Salmoni’s new home begins to assume tangible shape. It gives every promise of being the finest home ever erected in town. Oxley Bros., the contractors, are pushing along the frame work at a rapid pace. Woodiwiss Bros. are doing the mason and brick work.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 4, 1919 p.5

Salmoni is moving into his new home on Division street this week. He has just had completed a cement driveway to his garage which is the finest in town.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 28, 1920 p.5

Pioneer Merchant Passes at 85

Funeral services for the late Thomas John Salmoni, 85, who passed away at his late residence on Wednesday, following a few months illness, will be held from the Ferguson Funeral Home on Friday, 2:30 p.m. with Rev. J. T. P. Nichols officiating, interment Greenhill Cemetery.

Deceased was born in Amherstburg, September 15th, 1869, son of the late Mark and Jennie Salmoni. He came to Kingsville in 1895 and opened the busines (sic) known as T.J. Salmoni and Sons.

He was prominent in the life of the community having served as Chairman of the High School Board, a member of the Town Council in 1916 and Mayor in 1917 and 1918 and re-elected in 1921 and 1922. In 1923 and 1924 he was re-elected councillor. It was during his term of office that the original Kingsville High School was built and the town saw paved streets and sewerage.

He was a member of the Epworth United Church, having served as treasurer for 25 years and an elder for 25 years.

He was a member of St. George’s Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 41, Kingsville. For over 60 years he was a member of the Masonic Order having received his 60-year jewel in 1952. When 50 years a Mason, he was conferred the degree of Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario. He was also Past Master of Thistle Masonic Lodge in Amherstburg.

Ill health forced his retirement from business life last May.

Surviving are his wife, formerly Edna Royce of Guelph; two daughters, Helen (Mrs. E.H. Riggs) of London; Jean (Mrs. G.W. Trevethick) St. Thomas; two sons, Mark and Reford Salmoni of Kingsville; seven grandchildren, and one brother Frank of Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, February 4, 1954 p.1

Crawford & Son Funeral Home is Sold

The Crawford & Son Funeral Home and undertaking business has been sold to John Ferguson of London, who will take possession in a few weeks.

Well over half a century ago Richard Gregory owned and operated a fine furniture store and funeral business on the vacant lot north of where Everton Bertrand’s shop now stands. Robert Healey worked with mr. Gregory for over 10 years. Fire destroyed this building and Mr. Gregory retired.

In 1905, Mr. Healey and Fred Crawford joined partnership and opened a furniture store and funeral business where Kenneth Rae now has his hardware business. In 1906 they moved into the building which is still occupied by Fred Crawford & Son Furniture and House Furnishings.

In September 1945, Mr. Healey retired and since that time the business has been carried on by Fred Crawford and son, Don. Ill health forced Mr. Crawford to retire some months ago.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 29, 1951 p.1

The Purchase of the
Stuart Sykes
The Business in Future Will Be Know As
Ferguson – Sykes Funeral Home
91 Division St. S.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 5, 1972 p.3


Carnegie Library (1913)

No comments yet

Categories: 1910s, Tags: , , ,

28 Division Street South

Designated in 1988

When American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie retired from active business in 1901, he devoted the rest of his years to philanthropy. In his lifetime, he donated $56 million to build 2,509 libraries throughout the world. Of the 125 Carnegie libraries built in Canada, 111 were built in Ontario. Kingsville was offered funding and a library by-law was voted upon during the 1911 Municipal Election, which passed 235-34. By-law No. 222 authorized the purchase of a library site (not to exceed $800) and annual maintenance of “an amount equal to ten per cent of the cost of erection thereof,” in order to qualify for the $5,000 Carnegie Library grant. Windsor architects Crane & Pennington designed the library, and Kingsville Council had to approve an additional $2,000 to add to Carnegie’s donation to cover the building costs. The Woodiwiss Brothers were masons for the project and the Oxley Brothers the contractors.

Established first in England during the 1820s, Mechanics’ Institutes began as voluntary associations of working men seeking self-improvement through education. The community-based institutes offered evening lectures, lending libraries and periodical reading rooms. Members were supposed to learn the underlying scientific principles of their work as well as the general value of “rational information.” The concept spread quickly elsewhere, including British N America where the Montreal Mechanics’ Institute opened in 1828 and the York Mechanics’ Institute in 1830. Other institutes followed, especially in Ontario but also in NS and BC. In 1895 Ontario included 311 institutes with a total of 31,195 members.


Mechanics’ Institute

There has been an Act passed at the last sitting of the Legislature regarding the changing of Mechanic’s institutes into Free Libraries, and making it possible to maintain such by direct taxation. This would increase the usefulness of the institute and the cost of sustaining it would be much greater. The matter will be presented to the council at their next meeting.

The government grant towards pub. libtaries (sic) is $250, of which $150 is to be spent in books, $50 in papers and magazines, and $50 towards maintenance of library.

The Kingsville Reporter, May 3, 1895 p.8

The Mechanics’ Institute people have labored hard to make a public library to give to this town some of the intellectual privileges that only the more wealthy can afford. The town council have decided not to take over the institute this year. The managers in consequence have decided to give a local entertainment in the town hall. Musical and literary upstairs and ice cream and cake downstairs. All the friends are asked to help the funds up a little by attending this fine entertainment. Admission only 10 cents. June 25th is the date set.

The Kingsville Reporter, June 14, 1895 p.4


[. . .] Dr. Wigle and the other directors of the Mechanic’s Institute petitioned the council asking them to take over the Institute and make a public library of it and appoint a board of directors of their own. The petition was accepted and the Institute taken over, and the following board of directors appointed: F.A. Wigle, Howard Scratch, Owen Harris, C.J. Ballard, and the present council board.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 11, 1896 p.1

The public library is open and free to everybody in Kingsville and South Gosfield. All that is necessary in order to get books is to register by name. Applicants must be fourteen years of age or over.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 23, 1896 p.5

Librarian Wanted.

Applications for the position of Librarian for Kingsville Public Library may be made to the secretary, Fred. Forster, until Saturday, April 26th. Salary, $1.50 per week. Hours, from 1.30 to 5 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m.

By order of the Board. Dr. Allworth. Chairman.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 18, 1902 p.5


Epworth Parsonage (1908)

No comments yet

Categories: 1900s, Tags: , , ,

62 Division Street South

Designated in 2010

The year after the Epworth Church was built in 1893, the Kingsville Natural Gas and Oil Co. purchased the old Methodist church on Main Street East. The parsonage, also on Main Street East, continued to be used by the Methodist ministers until it was sold to Dr. Jenner in 1907 and plans were made to built a new parsonage just south of the church. The two-storey residence was designed by Thomas Jenner and the Woodiwiss Bros were selected as masons, using brick from the Miner Brickyard. The parsonage was completed in November of 1908 and the first occupant was Rev. Mr. Millson, who had been living in the Wigle flat over the Woodiwiss Bros’ store. In January 1914, “the Methodist congregation placed $1,431 on the plates to complete the payment of all debt on the church property” and “a public meeting was held in the auditorium of the church at which the mortgage was burned.”

At the meeting of the Trustee and Quarterly boards of the Methodist church last week it was decided to erect a new parsonage on the lot just south of the church, to cost in the neighborhood of $3,000. Work will be commenced in the Spring.

The Kingsville Reporter, October 17, 1907 p.5

On Tuesday last, while Messrs Chas. Riddell and John Stoner were slating the new Methodist parsonage, a portion of the scaffolding gave way and they fell to the ground a distance of twenty feet. Mr. Riddell sustained a fractured rib, while Mr. Stoner escaped with a severe shaking up.

The Kingsville Reporter, July 23, 1908 p.1

The silex* walk from Stanley Street to the Methodist parsonage is completed and the walk on Pearl st. west from Queen to Prince Albert was started yesterday morning.

The Kingsville Reporter, September 24, 1908 p.5

Ministerial Association

A meeting of the ministers of Kingsville and neighboring places, was held in the school room of the Methodist church, on Monday last, with a view to the formation of a Ministerial Association. It was unanimously agreed that an association be formed under the name of the “Kingsville Ministerial Association.” That meetings should be held on the first Monday in each month, that the Rev. Mr. Masters be President, and that Rev. Mr. Galt be Sec-Treas. It was also agreed that the next meeting should be held in the Baptist parsonage, and the Rev. Mr. Millson should introduce the subject of “Our duty in regard to the coming Municipal election.”

The Kingsville Reporter, November 8, 1908 p.8


Dr. Jenner on the Care of Infants

On Friday last a meeting of unusual interest was held under the auspices of W.C.T.U. in the Methodist parsonage, to which the mothers of the community who have small children’s were invited to hear a lecture on the “Care of infants” by Dr. Jenner. There was a very large attendance and from first to last the whole affair was a decided success.

Dr. Jenner was in great form and held the undivided attention of all present for about three quarters of an hour, during which time he advocated the liberal use of common sense, fresh air, cold water, and light, and warned the mothers against the many common and deadly mistakes that are constantly being made.

The Kingsville Reporter, November 25, 1909 p.8

* crushed stone

** Women’s Christian Temperance Union


Epworth United Church (1893)

No comments yet

Categories: 1890s, Tags: , , , ,

56 Division Street South

The headline in The Kingsville Reporter on April 4th, 1935 was “Epworth United Church Burned.” As reported the following week: “There seems to be no doubt but that the fire started in or near the organ, and with all the electric current shut off, the origin of the outbreak is a still deeper mystery.” Epworth Methodist Church, designed by Chatham architect James L. Wilson, was built in 1893 with Thomas Jenner as the contractor, Woodiwiss Bros. as the brick and stone masons and H.R. Kratz responsible for the iron and tin work. Memorial Hall, which was built in 1922, was saved from the fire. The new church was designed by Windsor architect J.C. Pennington and built on much of the original stone foundation by the Oxley Bros. The “rebuilt Epworth United Church” was dedicated on April 19th, 1936.

Sunday last was a red letter day in the history of Methodism in Kingsville. On that day the fine new Epworth Church was opened for public worship. . . The church will cost $15,000, of this amount nearly $8,000 was provided for before the building was commenced, which with over $7,000 raised at the opening leaves the church free from debt. This grand result is due to the generosity and large heartedness of the members, adherents and friends of the Methodist denomination in this place.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 12, 1894 p.1


On June 10, 1925, Epworth Methodist Church became a unit in that brotherhood of Christians now known as “The United Church of Canada.” In our present membership of nearly one thousand, are former Presbyterians and Congregationalists. In January, 1935, the congregation unanimously adopted the government of the new church, with the result that Epworth United Church is now completely organized according to the provisions of the basis of Union.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9


The beautiful and impressive ceremony, the laying of the cornerstone, took place on Saturday afternoon, September 14th. The service was presided over by the pastor, Rev. J. Morley Colling. . . . Following dedication prayers by the pastor, Mr. Robert Healey, secretary of the building committee, gave a description of the contents of the box to be inserted in the stone, after which the cornerstone was officially laid by “Uncle Jack” Miner.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.9

Church Dedication

On Sunday afternoon, the dedicatory services were held. A few minutes after three o’clock, the president of the London Conference, Rev. W.A. Walden, B.A., of London, and the ministers assisting him, entered the main door of the church, while the choir and congreation arose and sang the Doxology. . . . So large was the congregation that gathered to praise God after a year’s tireless efforts in rebuilding the church, that Chief of Police J.C. Babcock was called upon to direct traffic at the intersection of Division and Mill Streets, and cars were lined for several blocks on both sides of the two thoroughfares in the four directions.

The Kingsville Reporter, April 23, 1936 p.1


Howard R. Kratz House (1886)

No comments yet

Categories: 1880s, Tags: , , , ,

164 Division Street South

Designated in 2006

In 1884, local tinsmith Howard Ryerson Kratz (Scratch) purchased two lots on Division Street South, at the corner of Stewart Street, from Lucinda Stewart for $200. Two years later, Howard had this 2-storey brick house built using local masons Newell and Lewis Woodiwiss. The home was completed in time for Howard’s marriage to Mary (Minnie) Woodbridge in the spring of 1887. Unfortunately for the newlyweds, it was announced in 1888 that “the route of the railway through this village has been finally located, the southern survey having been adopted, which will cause the road to run through the centre of Stewart Street. It will be midway between the business part of the village and the harbor.” Despite the train tracks, Howard and Minnie stayed in this home until 1906 and raised five children: Ray, Faith, Hattie, Edith and Etta. In addition to tinsmithing, Howard also owned a hardware store and manufactured bicycles, including the “Mettawas Cycle,” which cost $35.00 in 1897 – $2.00 extra for the “Ladies” model.

Later owners of this home include Gordon P. & Nellie Fox, George T. Hardie and Father Frederick Williams, a retired Catholic priest from Sudbury.


It is said that death loves a shining mark, and the axiom was never more self-evident in this neighborhood than in the death of Mary Woodbridge, beloved wife of Howard R. Kratz, on Saturday morning last [. . .]

 Let us if possible, gather up the elements of the life of the departed and weave of them a picture for the walls of memory. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Woodbridge; was born on the home place and when a young girl of ten or eleven, she sought and found the pearl of great price, and made it chief among the jewels of her youthful hopes. The intervening years have been filled with loving deeds and untiring sevice for the master, and today her husband and family rise up and call her blessed, for upon the white canvas of her life she drew no uncertain lines which needed to be erased. Her path was marked with deeds of kindness and cheer. Flowers, not thorns; sunshine, not shadow, did she scatter everywhere, and with these she was lavish. Truth was the inspiration of her life and by kindness she exemplified its great worth. [. . .]

On April 19, 1887, deceased was united in marriage with Howard R. Kratz. To the union were born one son, Ray (deceased), and four daughter, Miss Faith, of Detroit; Hattie, Mrs. David Clark, Kingsville; Edith, Mrs. (Dr.) Mills, Fenelon Falls, Ont., and Etta, Mrs. Byron Eichoitz, Detroit.

The Kingsville Reporter, January 8, 1931 p.1

Howard R. Kratz Passes in 91st Year

Funeral services for the late Howard Ryerson Kratz, who died in his 91st year at the home of his daughter, Miss Faith Kratz, on Sunday were held from the Crawford and Son Funeral Home on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., Rev. J.T. Flemming officiating. Interment took place in Greenhill Cemetery.

Deceased was born in Gosfield South and had lived all his life in Essex County.

Survivors are four daughters, Miss Faith Kratz and Mrs. David Clarke of Kingsville; Mrs. Maurice Mills of Fenelon Falls and Mrs. Stewart Graham of Detroit; and one brother Stafford Kratz also of Kingsville.

The Kingsville Reporter, March 17, 1949 p.1

1 2